Windows 10: Two monitors w/ different resolutions causing high CPU usage

Discus and support Two monitors w/ different resolutions causing high CPU usage in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I noticed today that Windows Explorer was using about 10-15% of my CPU. After trying a lot of different things, it seems to be caused by having two... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by frozenlizard, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Two monitors w/ different resolutions causing high CPU usage

I noticed today that Windows Explorer was using about 10-15% of my CPU. After trying a lot of different things, it seems to be caused by having two monitors with different resolutions. If I unplug either monitor, CPU usage drops to normal (below 1% for WE). If I set the monitors to duplicate instead of extend, it drops to normal. Finally, if I set my 1440p monitor to 1080p (the resolution of my secondary monitor), CPU usage drops to normal.

Things I have tried:

I have completely reinstalled my graphics card drivers using DDU.

I went into selective startup and disabled things until the issue was fixed. Disabling the "shell hardware detection" service fixed the CPU usage... but of course this prevents me from having any autoplay functionality.

Any ideas are appreciated (though I would like to avoid having to do an OS re-install at this point if possible).

Thank you!

:)

frozenlizard, Mar 25, 2019

2. WIN10 1703 update cause Explorer.exe high CPU usage

Hi,

Glad you reached out. First, we would like to know if Explorer.exe
    is the only cause of high CPU usage. Because the common cause of high CPU usage are the following:

- Windows 10 Memory leak after the update.

- Driver incompatibilities after the update.

- Multiple startup applications

We'll be waiting for your update.

Richard tie, Mar 25, 2019
  3. High CPU Usage in Windows 10 Version 1703

Hi,

There are programs that cause high CPU usage by creating multiple processes which consume resources on your computer. For us to provide the best resolution possible, we'll be needing additional information:

• Are you using a third-party software or program such as antivirus?
    • Are there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Gerard Qui, Mar 25, 2019
  4. Two monitors w/ different resolutions causing high CPU usage

High CPU usage

Hi Tusar,

The Task manager shows high CPU usage for core Windows process which can be used by other application. In order find out which applications might be using more resources through these services, I would suggest you to open 'Resource monitor' and check. In
    task manager, go to the 'Performance' tab and click on the option 'Open Resource monitor' option at the bottom. Click on the CPU tab and then select the processes which showed high CPU usage in task manager. No expand the 'Services', associated handles section
    and post us a screenshot so that we can check the details and help you accordingly.

In the meantime, I would also suggest you to boot the PC in safe mode and check if the issue persists. Refer to this article:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/change-startup-settings-in-windows-10#v1h=tab01

Bennet Martin, Mar 25, 2019
Thema:

Two monitors w/ different resolutions causing high CPU usage

1. Two monitors w/ different resolutions causing high CPU usage - Similar Threads - monitors different resolutions

2. High CPU Usage Caused by TiWorker.exe

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    High CPU Usage Caused by TiWorker.exe: There's an unusual process called TiWorker.exe. Previous posts say that this is a Windows Update process, but this process runs for hours and heavily uses my CPU 50-70%. How can I delete it entirely or at least disable it permanently?...
  3. smartscreen.exe causing high CPU usage

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    smartscreen.exe causing high CPU usage: My Win 10 20H2 build 19042.867 is running 25 to 40% CPU when no programs are running! I have an AMD Ryzen 7 CPU, 3700u running at 2.3 GHz. I have 20 GB of RAM. When the Win 10 CPU is running at 45-50%, the heat in the CPU cores elevates to ~60-70 deg C. Checking the TASK...
  4. Winlogui.exe causes high CPU usage and temps

Winlogui.exe causes high CPU usage and temps: So I recently did a long-needed upgrade for my computer and replaced my CPU, motherboard, and ram but for some reason when I boot into windows 10, the CPU usage jumps to 100% and the temp gets as high as 95*C. I've tried checking task manager but weirdly enough it restores...
  5. ntoskrnl.exe causing high cpu usage.

ntoskrnl.exe causing high cpu usage.: Hello, Some months ago I started to see high cpu usage from ntoskrnl.exe. It is constantly using around 4%-20% of my cpu, and it never stops. I tried using windows defender but nothing changed, I also updated my nvidia drivers. I sometimes get blue screens, but it isn't...
  6. acpi.sys causing high cpu usage

acpi.sys causing high cpu usage: can someone look at this file i made using windows performance recorder and tell me what is causing the high cpu usage? https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mXp-vD0NaPsi6IF3F0vk6k_nRfOM1n0Y/view?usp=sharing...
  7. System interrupts causing high CPU usage

System interrupts causing high CPU usage: Hi guys, First of all the specifications of my laptop Aspire A515-51G-510P and the LatencyMon analysis can be found via the accompanied onedrive https://1drv.ms/u/s!AllRymF9WV9mnRLODDduO9e3p3WP?e=oXWPjd. To start, I'll describe the problem. The issue is most prevalent while...
  8. Microsoft.Photos.exe causes high cpu usage!

Microsoft.Photos.exe causes high cpu usage!: Whenever my computer is idle (and sometimes when I'm using it) this app starts up and sucks 100% of my CPU and heats up my computer. I noticed several posts from 2016 of people reporting this and I guess it was supposed to be fixed but I guess it hasn't. How to I fix this...
  9. CertPropSvc causes high CPU usage

CertPropSvc causes high CPU usage: Hello, a couple of weeks ago I noticed that my computer started to slow down due to high CPU usage. After some research I figured out that this is caused by a service called CertPropSvc (Microsoft Smartcard Certificate Propagation Service). If I manually stop the...
  10. Periodic Lock Ups w/ High CPU Usage

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Periodic Lock Ups w/ High CPU Usage: Hello all, Every now and then my laptop will lock up with high cpu usage or just slow to a crawl. I want to use a program to capture when this happens. For example: I want to set up a program to generate a log or alert when a process reaches say 85% usage of the CPU for...