Windows 10: Two part question: Use a Win7 key to install Win10 on a new machine, and what happens if I...

Discus and support Two part question: Use a Win7 key to install Win10 on a new machine, and what happens if I... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; This is going to be short b/c it's already been deleted twice by accident. I have two Win7 keys (one OEM I think and one retail) that I used to build... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/esanders09, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Two part question: Use a Win7 key to install Win10 on a new machine, and what happens if I...

This is going to be short b/c it's already been deleted twice by accident.

I have two Win7 keys (one OEM I think and one retail) that I used to build past computers. One I upgraded to Win10 and still use. The other, the machine's motherboard failed, and I took the hard drive out and put it in my Win10 machine to pull files off it, but it hasn't been used otherwise.

First, can I use the Win7 key from the dead machine to install and activate Win10 on a new computer I'm building? Second, what will happen if I accidentally use the key that is associated with my current Win10 machine for the new build? I've tried to figure out which Win7 key is associated with my current machine, but the tools I've used to try to figure it out shows a key that must have been altered with the upgrade b/c it doesn't match either keys on the Win7 boxes I have.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

submitted by /u/esanders09
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/esanders09, Jan 11, 2020
  2. yasainuki Win User

Win7 to Win10 - Product key question

I'm just wondering if the product key I purchased years ago for Win7 will still be valid if I reserve Win10 and install it?

Say for example I want to have Win7 on my main studio PC (as I know all my DAWs and VST plugins work on there perfectly), but also run Win10 on my other machine, would that be possible from the same key? Or would I void the Win7 key as soon as I reserve
    and install Win10?

I rely on Win7 for work, so the last thing I want is to void my key for it.

I often reformat my system and I'd hate to do so then find out my Win7 key no longer works...

Thanks in advance!

yasainuki, Jan 11, 2020
  3. JaneA1 Win User
    yet another Win10-clean-install-with-Win7-key question

I find much conflicting info, hoping for a definitive answer from The Community. I heard that the Win10 Threshold update now allows clean install using Win7 keys.

I have an empty hard disk and a brand-new Win7 Ultimate 64-bit install disc with a valid, never-used product key. Can I use the never-activated Win7 key to activate a Win10 clean install? Or do I really have to waste time installing Win7 then "upgrade"
    to a clean install of Win10? Thanks!

JaneA1, Jan 11, 2020
  4. LeoBloom Win User

Two part question: Use a Win7 key to install Win10 on a new machine, and what happens if I...

Built new computer, running unactivated Win10 Home, have Win7 Pro key

I was initially thinking of buying a Win10 Home key, but I realized I still have a Win7 Pro key I purchased that I have never upgraded to Win10 and is not currently in use.

Two questions

• Can I use the Win7 key to activate Win10 (or is that no longer an option)
    • Will Win10 Home turn into Win10 Pro (assuming I can still use key)

LeoBloom, Jan 11, 2020
Thema:

Two part question: Use a Win7 key to install Win10 on a new machine, and what happens if I...

1. Two part question: Use a Win7 key to install Win10 on a new machine, and what happens if I... - Similar Threads - part question Win7

2. Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key: I have an old computer that was running Windows 7 with an original product key, I just purchased a used laptop that is much faster than my old box had Windows 10 installed on it and would like to use my Windows 7 product key to activate Win10. I tried entering the Win7...
  3. Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key: I have an old computer that was running Windows 7 with an original product key, I just purchased a used laptop that is much faster than my old box had Windows 10 installed on it and would like to use my Windows 7 product key to activate Win10. I tried entering the Win7...
  4. Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Can I use my Win7 Ultimate key to install/upgade to Win10 on new PC?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I use my Win7 Ultimate key to install/upgade to Win10 on new PC?: I bought Win7 in 2009 and got a product key. I was under the impression I could use that to upgrade to Win 10. The laptop I had at the time is long gone. The next laptop came with an OEM Win 10. Now I am about to buy a new one. I'd like to save a some money and buy it without...
  6. Can I use my Win7 Ultimate key to install/upgade to Win10 on new PC?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I use my Win7 Ultimate key to install/upgade to Win10 on new PC?: I bought Win7 in 2009 and got a product key. I was under the impression I could use that to upgrade to Win 10. The laptop I had at the time is long gone. The next laptop came with an OEM Win 10. Now I am about to buy a new one. I'd like to save a some money and buy it without...
  7. Can I use my Win7 Ultimate key to install/upgade to Win10 on new PC?

8. Win7 to Win10 on new hardware and a lost Win10 key

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win7 to Win10 on new hardware and a lost Win10 key: Hey folks. Sorry if this has been answered before but I've been scrounging around online on and off for the last week and not found the answer to my specific question so here goes: I have a retail license for Windows 7 Home Premium which was installed on a old PC where I...
  9. Using Win10 (originally was Win7) product key for new PC installation

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Using Win10 (originally was Win7) product key for new PC installation: Hi, like many users my laptop using a genuine Win7 product key previously was upgraded to Win10. I'm currently facing windows login issue in which i tried to repair and so but it didn't help. As my laptop is quite old, i'm planning to purchase a replacement desktop...meaning...
  10. new install with Win7 key

new install with Win7 key: Hi I know that you can still do a clean 10 install with a Win7 key & activate There is some question as to if that gives you a valid licence. Activation is not proof of a valid lic. Reason I ask , is MS stated the the 'free upgrade' from 7 was for a specific peroid of time....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win10 win7 key

2. use win7 key in win10

3. win7 win10 same key