Windows 10: Two Problems: refresh an install and find a disk?

Discus and support Two Problems: refresh an install and find a disk? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; The base issue is that the machine has become painfully slow, to the point where the girls in the house won’t stop complaining about it. I have done... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Squids4daddy, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Two Problems: refresh an install and find a disk?

The base issue is that the machine has become painfully slow, to the point where the girls in the house won’t stop complaining about it.

I have done the msconfig “turn it all off”, and that has helped but isn’t nearly enough. The weekly “cleanup scan” software makes a slight difference, but not enough.

Normally, I would nuke the hard drive, reinstall fresh, go on down the road. But we took a hit in a weather event and now half the install cds, installation keys, and other necessities washed away.

Which leads to the second issue. I know the MS-office disks were destroyed, so I can’t put myself in the position of having to reinstall that. I have several Windows 10 disks (new and upgrade), do I have the one for this machine? I don’t know-and I don’t know that I have the key or how to tell which disk goes with this pc. I also have several very technical pieces of software where either the disks have gone missing or the company is out of business that I can’t lose.

I do have daily image files, but I don’t think that that helps here. What do you suggest? How do I get performance back without a full clean install? Is there some middle ground that clears out the crap without losing program install? Also, is there a way to tell which disk goes with what machine and to recover the license key?

submitted by /u/Squids4daddy
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Squids4daddy, Nov 4, 2019

2. Disk management console view is not up-to-date

i dont know how to fix your disk management, but i can fix your partition problems...

open up Command Prompt with admin rights. (Right click, run as admin)

enter in
    DISKPART
    list disk

then find the Disk number for your Raid array... lets call it number 7 ( you can tell what disk is what by the total size)
    type in

Select Disk 7
    List Partition (will give you a list of all the partitions..)
    Select Partition 1 (im assuming you only have 1 partition on Disk 7) repeat this step if you have more partitions.
    ASSIGN

that should get the array up and running ready to use.

EDITED.

any problems, post back ^^

Still EDITING *Stick Out Tongue Two Problems: refresh an install and find a disk? :p

side question, have you tried restarting the PC?

slyfox2151, Nov 4, 2019
  3. W1zzard Win User
    W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Nov 4, 2019
  4. yogurt_21 Win User

Two Problems: refresh an install and find a disk?

Steam does not install from disk?!?!

no you're doing steps 1 and 2 wrong. steam creates the directory, you stop steam and then you install the game from the disk to that directory.

also steam must be off, not in offline mode but off, aka no steam services in the task manager when you install the game.

yogurt_21, Nov 4, 2019
Thema:

Two Problems: refresh an install and find a disk?

1. Two Problems: refresh an install and find a disk? - Similar Threads - Problems refresh install

2. Two local disks?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two local disks?: Hello guys, suddently a Local Drive X: appeared in my PC and supposedly I can't connect to itIts icon is even something I never saw, it's a drive with a question mark on the right sideIs there a way to remove this?...
  3. Two local disks?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Two local disks?: Hello guys, suddently a Local Drive X: appeared in my PC and supposedly I can't connect to itIts icon is even something I never saw, it's a drive with a question mark on the right sideIs there a way to remove this?...
  4. Two local disks?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. two unallocated disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    two unallocated disk: two unallocated disk's in my computer and it cannot be deleted ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/two-unallocated-disk/5a4b62e6-17da-4ba8-b54d-78899be35fe3
  6. two unallocated disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    two unallocated disk: two unallocated disk's in my computer and it cannot be deleted ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/two-unallocated-disk/5a4b62e6-17da-4ba8-b54d-78899be35fe3
  7. Problem with Refresh in the Windows

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problem with Refresh in the Windows: Split from this thread.I just tried to use the "refresh" option on my computer and ended up getting so lost in the process I wanted to scream. My question now is "Can I "refresh" again. My problem may have been addressed with the additional Microsoft account mentioned above....
  8. Refresh problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Refresh problem: After i refresh my pc to delete all apps, the screen stuck at please wait for hours. What to do? [IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/refresh-problem/617ceab1-ca83-4311-95c2-0b7de7c2a221
  9. Refresh problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    Refresh problem: When i go to my computer desktop keep refresh, any solution? Just refresh when i go to my computer on desktop, and then refresh my all icons, i don't know what is causing that? Please help....
  10. Find which disk to install windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Find which disk to install windows: hi i have two disks in my laptop. One of them is faster than the other and i want to make a clean install but the step where i have to decide where to partition and install system is not very informative in order to identify disk. how can I know which is the fastest and...