Windows 10: Two questions about a recent Mini PC purchase (speed & heat)

Discus and support Two questions about a recent Mini PC purchase (speed & heat) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Greetings, Anyone who knows me knows I have a fetish for Mini PCs. You can build your blinky fanny gamey tower, and you can have the best laptop known... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by The Pool Man, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Two questions about a recent Mini PC purchase (speed & heat)

Greetings,

Anyone who knows me knows I have a fetish for Mini PCs. You can build your blinky fanny gamey tower, and you can have the best laptop known to man --- but me -- I love me Mini PCs.

I've had two. A desktop one (Asus VivoMini) and a micro Beelink AP42 Mini PC by the TV. The latter had 4GBs RAM, 64 EMC storage, and a slow Pentium Apollo Lake N4200.

Two questions about a recent Mini PC purchase (speed & heat) [​IMG]

It's main job was streaming stuff -- but shopping and opening more than one app at a time? Strained. But hey -- it was like $200 three years ago. It did its job and paid for itself over the years. I'm old enough now that I can actually hear the clock ticking and so it's replacement would have to be SIGNIFICANTLY faster. Enter the UM300 Minisforum.

Two questions about a recent Mini PC purchase (speed & heat) ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic-pepper.dealabs.com%2Fthreads%2Fcontent%2FtgW0V%2F1964496.jpg

8GBs RAM, 128 SSD, AMD Ryzen 3 3300. This is like a kitten being replaced by a cougar. Now I could actually sit in front of the TV and Zillow and fly through homes -- none of which I can buy. lol

So I promised TWO QUESTIONS.

1. I also own a year old Ryzen 5 3500 Lenovo laptop. Just for spits and giggles I ran an SFC speed contest between the Ryzens. It's my understanding the 3 is akin to an i3 Intel and the 5 an i5. The Mini PC left the laptop in the dust --

Two questions about a recent Mini PC purchase (speed & heat) [​IMG]

The Mini PC is connected to a TV. When it finished the laptop was still at 68%. Not even close! Question: do you believe this accurately reflects speed? Or do you believe a year old laptop may have different... I don't know... sfc needs?

2. There's a slight design flaw in the unit I'm seeking your opinion if it's actually a major flaw. The SSD was positioned poorly and can get up to 70 degrees Celsius when things get hot. Which won't be often, mind you, but still. Would you keep it or return it yesterday?

TIA

:)

The Pool Man, Sep 14, 2020

2. Unable for format Mini PC - X5 with Windows

I recently purchased a X5 Mini PC from the following site and was trying to have a clean install of Windows 10 instead of the pre-install copy with android.

During the installation process, I was thrown with an error stating that "Setup was unable to create a new system partition: Fix for Windows".

1. I have tried to work on this for a couple of nights along with this
      guide to use diskpart to pre-format and prepare the disk. But
      it didn't work, the same error still occurred.
    2. Others suggest that it could be an UEFI locked issue and I should disable the secure boot option. However, the APTIO Setup Utility does not provide me with any option. I tried adding administrator password in security, hoping that it would enable the option as other suggest, but it failed to work.

Does anyone have similar experience or is familiar with BIOS and UEFI to lend a hand? Much appreciated.

toffee.beanns, Sep 14, 2020
  3. Sasqui Win User
    Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Sep 14, 2020
  4. Johan45 Win User

Two questions about a recent Mini PC purchase (speed & heat)

AMD FX OC'ers Club

That's what the auto setting will do since you're over the 1333 mark it jumps to the next step which isn't listed or officially supported I assume by that ram.

At this point though I would suggest dropping the multi one step or .5 so that we can get something stable and possibly take the heat issue out of the picture for now.

Johan45, Sep 14, 2020
Thema:

Two questions about a recent Mini PC purchase (speed & heat)

1. Two questions about a recent Mini PC purchase (speed & heat) - Similar Threads - questions recent Mini

2. BSOD with a recently purchased PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD with a recently purchased PC: I have just purchased a new PC, had Windows 11 installed on it and got the BSOD while in Warzone about every time. I have the .DMP file but not sure how to upload it....
  3. BSOD with a recently purchased PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD with a recently purchased PC: I have just purchased a new PC, had Windows 11 installed on it and got the BSOD while in Warzone about every time. I have the .DMP file but not sure how to upload it....
  4. BSOD with a recently purchased PC

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. A question about data transfer/throughput speed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    A question about data transfer/throughput speed: First off, hardware specifications: The Fatal1ty Z97 Killer Motherboard \\ The I7-4790k 4.0 Ghz LGA 1150 Processor \\ Two 8 GB DDR3 1600 CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10B RAM modules \\ One 240 GB V300 SSD for OS, Boot, and program files \\ Two 1TB WD10EZEX HDDs in RAID 0 for mass...
  6. i have a question about the pc speed

in Browsers and Email
    i have a question about the pc speed: i have win10 enterprise and now after the last update my pc slows way down if i leave the browser up for any lenght of time. i did not have that issue ever before. if i click the x to close the browser it may take 13 to 30 seconds to shut the browser down. if i leave the...
  7. i have a question about the pc speed

in Windows 10 Support
    i have a question about the pc speed: i have win10 enterprise and now after the last update my pc slows way down if i leave the browser up for any lenght of time. i did not have that issue ever before. if i click the x to close the browser it may take 13 to 30 seconds to shut the browser down. if i leave the...
  8. Question about a file in two places... or not.

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about a file in two places... or not.: I've always assumed that any Windows file can be in two folder locations at the same time using the same file name, but I just noticed something strange and wonder what's going on. If I send an email message using my Windows Live Mail client and attached a Word .doc file,...
  9. Question about recent power outage and PC

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Question about recent power outage and PC: Since changing CMOS battery and Surge Protector there has not been anymore issues with my PC not powering on. Thanks for all the help and info.
  10. Question about Coolers vs. Heat Sink (New Computer)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Question about Coolers vs. Heat Sink (New Computer): Good afternoon, all. My gaming computer went the way of the dinosaur, so I am building a new one. I am still figuring out what parts to put in it, I haven't bought any parts yet. My friend suggested getting an after market cooler for my CPU (Intel i7 8700). The case...