Windows 10: Two quick queries before I start

Discus and support Two quick queries before I start in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I originally posted this in another thread and maybe I should have started a new thread so..... Haven't had chance to run the 10 yet but soon. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ICIT2LOL, Jun 27, 2015.

1. ICIT2LOL Win User

Two quick queries before I start

I originally posted this in another thread and maybe I should have started a new thread so.....

Haven't had chance to run the 10 yet but soon.
    I have two queries which probably everyone will se as dumb.
    1. If I upgrade to a cloned clean install of 7 and want to go back (not that it looks like 10 is all that bad) can I swap out the cloned drive and put the clean install back in and start again with 7?

2. I see Defender is going to be the default AV and that if one wants a paid for of whatever they want (for example I use Kaspersky) is it possible to disable the Kaspersky and run the Defender as a secondary scan - IF the need arises?

The only thing I don't like so far if this forum is anything to go by is that awful bar spell check correction I much prefer the pointer to a spelling mistake correction option*Zip

:)

ICIT2LOL, Jun 27, 2015
  2. Stew1957 Win User

Why is Windows 10 so slow to start after latest update?

Hi trbogt , although I was sceptical about your suggestion as it seemed contrary
    to my problem I gave it a try. I can't believe what a difference it made. The start up was just like the old days. Then what I did was reset the setting to what they were before and re started again. it was just as quick. In fact it was so quick I have done
    two starts quicker than what one start was taking before. I like to know why. Have you any Idea as to why your solution worked and why when I put it back to how it was it was still also quick to start?

Thanks for your suggestion and help.

Stew1957, Jun 27, 2015
  3. Password reset

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

A quick question before we proceed.

• Did you reboot your computer ?

Try to enable two-step verification and check if it helps, refer the article below.

About two-step verification

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/two-step-verification-faq

Hope this helps. Please reply if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Vardhaman Shetti, Jun 27, 2015
  4. Two quick queries before I start

Hey there John,

1. Yes - same as any Windows. There is a question about activation if you reinstall, but the original of the the clone will already be activated (no assumption here - it will have to be for the clone to get the Win10 update)

The solution if an issue arises on a re-install would be to phone activate.

One member stated it nicely: The Windows 10 upgrade adds additional rights to the existing OS license - it grants the user the right to run Windows 10.

The original license is intact and the same rules apply (one machine). In the case of an OEM license, it must be the original machine - only a MOBO change makes it a different machine.

There have been some discussions about multi-booting that have not truly been answered because MS hasn't published the EULA and the license embedded in firmware has raised some good questions. My take on this is that it will not be an issue since you can only run one of the booted OSes at one time and it will be on the same machine as originally installed. This remains to be seen when Win10 goes live.

A retail license can be transferred to another machine if the OS is removed from the first machine (same rule as always)

2. Yes, but conventional wisdom says: One runtime AV at any given time. Malwarebytes is capable of co-existence with other runtime protection programs. I haven't tested 3rd party AVs - Defender might be turned off when they're installed.

Caveat: The current versions of 3rd party AV apps don't seem to play well with Win10 preview. There are betas for some that have been reported to work. These apps manifest many differetn issues, so it's best to run Defender in the preview. That's not saying Don't test 3rd party AVs - it's saying there are issues caused by 3rd party AVs on the TP, if your machine exhibits issues, 3rd party AVs is the first place to look.

You'll get used to the spell checker ... or just don't worry about typos *Wink

Slartybart, Jun 28, 2015
  5. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Thanks Bill and sorry for the late reply I have to get used to checking into the forum unlike the 7 there is no email notification.

I am having a few reservations about the system as is in particular the personalization and getting the Start page set as I would like it - am still not a fan of those panels and whereas my 7 machines have msconfig , regedit and command prompts pinned to the start menu which I find so useful the 10 to me seems to have taken a convoluted pathway.

Having said that I have only had a couple of days to play with it and have some holidays coming up to do some more "playing". Once I get my new laptop I might set it or the old one to run 10 as I live with my partner more often than not now.

ICIT2LOL, Jul 6, 2015
  6. Slartybart, Jul 7, 2015
  7. If you just want to play with Win10, I suggest slicing off about 30 GB of space and install Win10 as a dual boot.

I've installed many ways on the earlier builds. A VM is easier, but that doesn't give you real world testing - too much is emulated.

If you've dual booted other OSes, Win10 is no different. I leave the partition unallocated (raw) and select the custom option at install time - the raw partition is the target of the install.

Download the current Win10 ISO (10.0.162)

Dual Boot Win10 tutorial

Slartybart, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Two quick queries before I start

1. Two quick queries before I start - Similar Threads - quick queries before

2. Quick Access in Windows Explorer query

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Quick Access in Windows Explorer query: Hi guys, Hopefully an easy one, although I couldn't find the answer online anywhere at all...I have added a few folders to my Quick Access, but go to attach an email or upload a document, as soon as the Window opens to locate the document, the bar on the left is scrolled all...
  3. Quick Access in Windows Explorer query

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Quick Access in Windows Explorer query: Hi guys, Hopefully an easy one, although I couldn't find the answer online anywhere at all...I have added a few folders to my Quick Access, but go to attach an email or upload a document, as soon as the Window opens to locate the document, the bar on the left is scrolled all...
  4. Quick Access in Windows Explorer query

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. File explorer and quick access query

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer and quick access query: Hi, I am a Windows 10 user with all updates up-to-date. Recently, my File explorer icons look like a page with the corner turned over - no normal file image and at the same time the quick access search never finishes?...
  6. A quick query

in Windows 10 Customization
    A quick query: In the Control Panel > Colour Management it has settings for gamma brightness etc etc and the font stuff too. Now what i would like to know is why when I set mine to what I find comfortable and easy to read the next time I start the machine those settings have gone back to...
  7. A quick query

in Browsers and Email
    A quick query: Have obviously touched something but heck knows what see pic how can I revert the darn windows please. 92873
  8. Quick query

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Quick query: I have a friend who has a very low monthly broadband download limit and is not able to download large updates like the current Creator for example without chewing through her allowance in no time flat. Now her brother has a superlative and very large download capability...
  9. Just a quick query

in Windows 10 Support
    Just a quick query: I came across this article in HTG and am wondering if Ubuntu or any other Linux OS system can be run on a) a 10 system dual boot b) can it be installed on hardware that is specifically made to be only supporting 10 (and any future system) How to Install and Use the Linux Bash...
  10. Quick query

in Windows 10 Support
    Quick query: I just found this article How to Disable SMBv1 and Protect Your Windows PC From Attack and checked my settings and he box is still ticked so should I uncheck that box for file sharing?? 92087