Windows 10: Two recovery partitions?

Discus and support Two recovery partitions? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I am using Windows 10.0.16299 build 16299 My PC is UEFI. I noticed this partition layout: [img] is it normal? Why two recovery... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by enterthevoid, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Two recovery partitions?

Hi,
    I am using Windows 10.0.16299 build 16299
    My PC is UEFI.
    I noticed this partition layout:

Two recovery partitions? [​IMG]

is it normal?
    Why two recovery partition (at beginning and at the end)?
    Thank you!

:)

enterthevoid, Mar 23, 2018

2. How do I install Windows 10 on a flash drive onto a new hard drive?

I need a very simple, step-by-step instructions. Seriously, SIMPLE! So far I cannot find any adequate explanation or detailed steps on how to do it.

I built a new computer.

I have a flash drive.

I have a windows 10 code.

I do not have the disk, I just have the code.

The hard drive is brand new.

The motherboard is a LGA1150.

All I see on this website is how to upgrade, how to upgrade, how to upgrade, buy a computer with Windows 10, and nothing about entering a product key, installing the OS to a flash drive, and on to a new hard drive.

I do not understand why Microsoft has to make this complicated. There should be a box that says: enter product key. Then it should route you to a page asking you how you would like to install it. Then once you answer (flash drive in this case) instructions
    are shown to guide you onto how to install it with the install button on the page. It should say in simple text: This is for new hard drives. Very simple. Seriously Microsoft! do this.

Two plus Two, Mar 23, 2018
  3. HG9
    HG9 Win User
    Unknown Drives in the partition

Thank you for the help but there was one more query. If you look at the image in the question I uploaded, you shall see there are two recovery drives. Why are these recovery drives present? Is it concerning that there are two of them? If it's not important
    to have a recovery drive then how shall I remove it?

P.S. I have made a recovery file in a flash drive.

4. Word Man Win User

Two recovery partitions?

It's been very common on recent features updates for the required size of the Recovery Partition (Partizione di ripristino) to increase. That original 300 MB of yours (at beginning) is not enough for current requirement, so Windows Update created a new Recovery Partition at the end of the drive.

You can confirm that the one at the end of the drive is the one in use by executing "reagentc /info" from an elevated Command Prompt (Admin). That will tell you which partition has the active WinRE for advanced startup.

IF you're not the type who agonizes over 300 MB wasted out of 111.67 GB (there are some here, believe me) I would just leave that old one at front alone.

Word Man, Mar 23, 2018
  5. Thank you very much for your great explaination *Smile

enterthevoid, Mar 23, 2018
  6. Word Man Win User
    You're very welcome, enterthevoid. Happy I could help!*Smile

Word Man, Mar 23, 2018
  7. Steve C Win User
    You can also use MiniTool Partition Wizard to peruse the contents of those recovery partitions to identify the old one. On my PCs I used MTPW to delete the first recovery partition, move the 100MB system partition left to the start of the drive then extend C: to use the free space. Backup before you do this.

Steve C, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Two recovery partitions?

1. Two recovery partitions? - Similar Threads - recovery partitions

2. Recovery Partition - The Window RE image was not found

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovery Partition - The Window RE image was not found: Hey, I am receiving 'The Window RE image was not found' on my PC when running reagentc /enable in command prompt . I can see there is a recovery partition so a little stumped.I was attempting the below which has worked on various other...
  3. Recovery Partition - The Window RE image was not found

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovery Partition - The Window RE image was not found: Hey, I am receiving 'The Window RE image was not found' on my PC when running reagentc /enable in command prompt . I can see there is a recovery partition so a little stumped.I was attempting the below which has worked on various other...
  4. Recovery Partition - The Window RE image was not found

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Need help with understanding the "Windows Recovery Environment" partitions on my Windows 10...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help with understanding the "Windows Recovery Environment" partitions on my Windows 10...: My desktop originated from Dell. It arrived with all kinds of boatware so in addition to the OEM install partition DWIN10, I created a second Windows partition WIN10 on which I installed just plain Windows 10 without Dell's junk. I also created another recovery environment...
  6. Need help with understanding the "Windows Recovery Environment" partitions on my Windows 10...

Need help with understanding the "Windows Recovery Environment" partitions on my Windows 10...: My desktop originated from Dell. It arrived with all kinds of boatware so in addition to the OEM install partition DWIN10, I created a second Windows partition WIN10 on which I installed just plain Windows 10 without Dell's junk. I also created another recovery environment...
  7. Need help with understanding the "Windows Recovery Environment" partitions on my Windows 10...

8. Failure to apply update due to recovery partition issue?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Failure to apply update due to recovery partition issue?: My laptop persistently fails to install an update as below: My research points to this being a problem with recovery partition. Investigating this I see I have two:So I can see that partition 5 is not in use and is a whopping 16 GB in size, but I am also puzzled that the...
  9. Failure to apply update due to recovery partition issue?

Failure to apply update due to recovery partition issue?: My laptop persistently fails to install an update as below: My research points to this being a problem with recovery partition. Investigating this I see I have two:So I can see that partition 5 is not in use and is a whopping 16 GB in size, but I am also puzzled that the...
  10. Failure to apply update due to recovery partition issue?