Windows 10: Two RuntimeBroker.exe at startup

Discus and support Two RuntimeBroker.exe at startup in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi! After 1709 update I found these two instances of RuntimeBroker.exe in my tasklist: [img] and [img] I disabled Cortana in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JoeMcLutz, Nov 16, 2017.

1. JoeMcLutz Win User

Two RuntimeBroker.exe at startup

Hi!
    After 1709 update I found these two instances of RuntimeBroker.exe in my tasklist:

Two RuntimeBroker.exe at startup [​IMG]

and

Two RuntimeBroker.exe at startup [​IMG]

I disabled Cortana in previous version (and mantained it disabled)... so: why these two programs are running?

Thanks!
    Joe

:)

JoeMcLutz, Nov 16, 2017

2. Beyond sick of this issue - Event ID 10016 application issue.

What if there is no :

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\RuntimeBroker.exe

Do you mean ?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\runtimebroker.exe

Thanks

SandyWalter, Nov 16, 2017
  3. lesgrant Win User
    Runtime Broker once again taking up over 1GB of memory?

Hi

I cannot agree more, of the hundreds of Microsoft responses I have read over time, only a few have been relevant to the problem - far less useful.

I think I do understand what is going on however: procmon from sysinternals is your friend here - default the filters and then filter the responses by process name 'RuntimeBroker.exe'.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A snip from a quick looks gives :-

18:45:51.0066040 RuntimeBroker.exe 60076
    CloseFile O:\Pic archive\Holidays\Greece Evia and islands May 2013
    SUCCESS C:\Windows\System32\RuntimeBroker.exe C:\Windows\System32\RuntimeBroker.exe -Embedding

18:45:51.0069628 RuntimeBroker.exe 60076 CreateFile
    O:\Pic archive\Holidays\Greece Evia and islands May 2013 SUCCESS
    Desired Access: Read Attributes, Synchronize, Disposition: Open, Options: Synchronous IO Alert, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, AllocationSize: n/a, OpenResult: Opened
    C:\Windows\System32\RuntimeBroker.exe C:\Windows\System32\RuntimeBroker.exe -Embedding

18:45:51.0072617 RuntimeBroker.exe 60076 DeviceIoControl
    O:\Pic archive\Holidays\Greece Evia and islands May 2013 INVALID PARAMETER
    Control: IOCTL_MOUNTDEV_QUERY_DEVICE_NAME C:\Windows\System32\RuntimeBroker.exe
    C:\Windows\System32\RuntimeBroker.exe -Embedding

18:45:51.0072970 RuntimeBroker.exe 60076 CloseFile
    C:\Windows\System32\RuntimeBroker.exe C:\Windows\System32\RuntimeBroker.exe -Embedding

18:45:51.0076644 RuntimeBroker.exe 60076 CreateFile
    Desired Access: Read Attributes, Synchronize, Disposition: Open, Options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Open Reparse Point, Attributes: N, ShareMode: Read, Write, AllocationSize: n/a, OpenResult: Opened

yada yada yada

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This shows the program hammering my system - particularly my external usb O: drive, most accesses were to it.

This disk contains approx 2TB of photos and music and it died recently. Taking the box apart I found that the sata/usb controller had fried - literally - melted!!

The disk itself survived and is now in another box.

Last but Best!!!!

The snippet above is culled from a 1 (ONE) SECOND selection of the output from procmon in which RuntimeBroker conducted 4754 file IO operations on my system!! - and this had been going on for hours.

So a few hours (many - days even) is not going to do the kit much good. IMHO.

lesgrant, Nov 16, 2017
  4. Two RuntimeBroker.exe at startup

You know what i never notice two or more instances of RuntimeBroker.exe in Task Manger. The RuntimeBroker.exe is stored in C:\Windows\System32 folder if the RuntimeBroker.exe not running from C:\Windows\System32 folder then you have malware infection.

FreeBooter, Nov 16, 2017
  5. dmholt57 Win User
    I have four instances running and that is normal on my machine. *Nerd

dmholt57, Nov 16, 2017
  6. JoeMcLutz Win User
    Every RuntimeBroker.exe runs from C:\Windows\System32\ ... So I guess it's ok. Well, before 1709 I've no RuntimeBroker.exe starting with Windows and staying in.

JoeMcLutz, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Two RuntimeBroker.exe at startup

1. Two RuntimeBroker.exe at startup - Similar Threads - RuntimeBroker exe startup

2. RuntimeBroker Error Application not found

in Windows 10 Gaming
    RuntimeBroker Error Application not found: When I right-click on a program icon in the start menu or File Explorer and ask to open the file location, I receive RuntimeBroker Error Application not found....
  3. RuntimeBroker Error Application not found

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    RuntimeBroker Error Application not found: When I right-click on a program icon in the start menu or File Explorer and ask to open the file location, I receive RuntimeBroker Error Application not found....
  4. How do I fix runtimebroker exe application error the exception unknown software exception...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I fix runtimebroker exe application error the exception unknown software exception...: So I’ve been getting this error code for about 2-3 its a hp pc and I’ve tried a lot of things and none of them work pls help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-fix-runtimebroker-exe-application-error/a3189436-882b-499f-bd28-38e3927232f1
  5. How do I fix runtimebroker exe application error the exception unknown software exception...

How do I fix runtimebroker exe application error the exception unknown software exception...: So I’ve been getting this error code for about 2-3 its a hp pc and I’ve tried a lot of things and none of them work pls help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-fix-runtimebroker-exe-application-error/a3189436-882b-499f-bd28-38e3927232f1
  6. Aux exe at startup

in Windows 10 Customization
    Aux exe at startup: Each time I start up my computer microsoft aux switch exe box appears for a few seconds. In every other respect my computer works 100%. Is this normal? What does this do? Thanks...
  7. problems with runtimebroker

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    problems with runtimebroker: i needed to move a large file from my laptop to a pc. i didn't have a flash drive at hand so i removed my laptop's ssd and plugged it into the pc via an external adapter. it asked for administrator privileges to open the C: disk , which i confirmed with a "continue" button....
  8. RuntimeBroker error

in Windows 10 Customization
    RuntimeBroker error: i just have 9CA88EE3-ACB7-47c8-AFC4-AB702511C276 RuntimeBroker but app need 15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402 RuntimeBroker how can i add it? in dcomcnfg.exe, is not 15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402 RuntimeBroker...
  9. ForzaHorizon4.exe crashing on startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ForzaHorizon4.exe crashing on startup: Hi, I need help to solve this problem, please. When searching for MoBEX all I find is problems with edge. Hopefully I can be helpful providing more information if required ForzaHorizon4.exe Description Faulting Application Path: C:\Program...
  10. EXE in Startup folder not running

EXE in Startup folder not running: Just don't know if it's really worth the trouble, seems like just one issue after another. Latest is I wrote a program that runs on windows 10 just fine from a shortcut on the desktop. I copied the shortcut to the startup folder for my account and did all the compatibility...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. sick of runtime broker

2. multiple copies of runtime broker

3. 2\RuntimeBroker.exe.