Windows 10: Two storage devices in one laptop

Discus and support Two storage devices in one laptop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have an SSD and an HDD in the same laptop. All of my files and applications are in the SSD 125 Gb while my HDD is empty 900 Gb. I want to move some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by zMm-_1, Jan 26, 2021.

1. zMm-_1 Win User

Two storage devices in one laptop

I have an SSD and an HDD in the same laptop. All of my files and applications are in the SSD 125 Gb while my HDD is empty 900 Gb. I want to move some of the programs and applications to the HDD, but I can't figure how to do it. Would really appreciate any help.

:)

zMm-_1, Jan 26, 2021

2. Internal Storage devices being detected as removable devices

Hi,

I would suggest you to update your storage controller driver.

Method 1: Update Storage Controller Driver

Follow the steps.

• Press Windows key + X key and click Device Manager.
    • Expand the Storage Controller.
    • Right-click on the Storage controller Driver
      and select Update Driver Software.
    • Wait for sometime and check if the issue persists.
    • Restart your system.
    Method 2: Uninstall and then reinstall Storage Controller driver from the Manufacturer's Website

Follow the steps.

• Press Windows key + X key and click Device Manager.
    • Expand the Storage Controller.
    • Right-click on the Storage controller Driver
      and select Uninstall.
    • Now, go to the Manufacturer's website and download the latest storage controller driver.
    • Once the download is complete, double-click and run the setup file to complete installation.
    • Restart your system.
    Hope this helps. Please respond if you have further related queries.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, Jan 26, 2021
  3. inwell Win User
    Storage Controllers in Device Manager

Hi,
    This is not a problem( i guess) but knowledge base query.Wish to understand this basic.
    I have a old laptop dell with i3(1st gen)/3gb/320gb sata/dvd/win 7 upgraded to win 10.
    Here my device manager shows an entry of IDE ATA/ATAPI Storage controller and my sata controller listed under it.
    Qst1. Why sata driver are listed under IDE section?(in bios sata drive set in ahci mode)

Just purchased new laptop HP i3(10th)/8gb/1tb ssd/integrated graphics/no dvd/win 10 home
    Here my device manager has no such entry like IDE ATA/ATAPI Storage Controller but has entry that says Storage controller and under it Intel Chipset Sata/pcie. (image attached)
    Qst.2. Why that IDE ATA xxxx not listed in this new laptop?
    How/why is this change when both the hdd are sata and running in ahci mode?

inwell, Jan 26, 2021
  4. Two storage devices in one laptop

VMware-usb storage device not recognized

Hello,

I'm running Windows XP in Workstation Player on a Windows 10 laptop.

My USB CD/DVD drive is able to mount in the Player. So is a flash drive.

My Western Digital ssd (My Passport Ultra) is listed in "Removable devices", but fails to mount, giving this error:

Two storage devices in one laptop [​IMG]

In the Virtual Machine settings, the USB controller is using usb 2.0.

The WD ssd is compatible with usb 3.0 and 2.0, and is supported by Windows XP. My desktop computer running Win XP has no problem mounting the drive.

The device manager in virtual Win XP shows it as an "unknown device."

I've read everything I can find on the problem, and tried a number of suggestions from the knowledge base at VMware as well as solutions via google searches.

Perhaps the WD ssd just won't work on the free version of VM Workstation Player (v. 14).

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Paul

Paul Bacon, Jan 26, 2021
Thema:

Two storage devices in one laptop

1. Two storage devices in one laptop - Similar Threads - storage devices laptop

2. Two email accounts, one with a ton of storage, one no longer working because of no storage....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two email accounts, one with a ton of storage, one no longer working because of no storage....: I have two email addresses. A hotmail.com account and an outlook..com account. I have a One Drive account attached to the hotmail account and am only using 64gb out of 1.15 TB. Meanwhile my outlook email account has the typical 5 GB that is provided for free, and is way over...
  3. Two email accounts, one with a ton of storage, one no longer working because of no storage....

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Two email accounts, one with a ton of storage, one no longer working because of no storage....: I have two email addresses. A hotmail.com account and an outlook..com account. I have a One Drive account attached to the hotmail account and am only using 64gb out of 1.15 TB. Meanwhile my outlook email account has the typical 5 GB that is provided for free, and is way over...
  4. Two email accounts, one with a ton of storage, one no longer working because of no storage....

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Two Accounts, One laptop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two Accounts, One laptop.: I have just purchased a new laptop for my business but will be using it also for my personal life. I want to keep both very separate. I have a personal Microsoft account from an age old Hotmail and set up the laptop with this as admin. I am contracting for an business that...
  6. Two Accounts, One laptop.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Two Accounts, One laptop.: I have just purchased a new laptop for my business but will be using it also for my personal life. I want to keep both very separate. I have a personal Microsoft account from an age old Hotmail and set up the laptop with this as admin. I am contracting for an business that...
  7. Two Keys, One Device

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Two Keys, One Device: Here's my situation:I have two Windows 10 licenses, one for the Pro version, one for Home.Each of the versions are installed on two separate hard drives.Both hard drives are installed on the same laptop.Both licenses are linked to my Microsoft account.Both are legal...
  8. 3 storage devices, only seeing two

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    3 storage devices, only seeing two: I have three storage devices. One 1TB m.2, one 500GB SSD, and one 1TB HDD. I just got the SSD and plugged it in. I noticed when I went to disk management it wasn’t popping up so I tried all different power sources thinking maybe it’s a dead port. I pulled out the HDD and...
  9. One copy Two devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One copy Two devices: Hi. I've been playing a game Sea of Thieves on my Windows 10 device. I installed it on a second computer using the same game copy, and logged out. Whenever I try to play it on my second device, it says "Looks like you need to renew Game Pass. If your subscription is current,...
  10. Two external monitors on one laptop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Two external monitors on one laptop: Hi all! I am using my laptop for work and have been using an external monitor with it as well. I would like to add an additional. I have two ports, a VGA and an HDMI but windows will only allow me to output to one. Is there any way for me to "output" one screen but have my...