Windows 10: Two User Accounts with same name

Discus and support Two User Accounts with same name in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I'm well aware that this topic was posted multiple times. However non of the so far provided solutions worked for me. Two days ago I... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by FelixB, Mar 22, 2020.

1. FelixB Win User

Two User Accounts with same name

Hi everyone,

I'm well aware that this topic was posted multiple times. However non of the so far provided solutions worked for me.

Two days ago I reinstalled windows. During the installation process my computer had no internet connection, so I created a local account. Later after installing all my network drivers I logged in into my normal Windows account, which has the same name. Now if I activate the password prompt on startup, everything seems fine. If I deactived it however (untick the checkbox in netplwiz), Windows tells me right on startup that no connection can be established. I have to press ok here and can then choose my actual account.

Two User Accounts with same name [​IMG]

So what I did so far:
    - Open netplwiz, uncheck the box, close the password prompt, save, check again
    - Check net user

- Change the value in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\RegisteredOwner from "Felix" to "Felix B", which is how my name is displayed

None of this things changed anything on the outcome unfortunately. As long as I request a password on startup everything works fine but as soon as I try to deactivate it, this ghost account appears again.

My Windows Version number: Version 1909 (Build 18363.720)

:)

FelixB, Mar 22, 2020
  2. Vesao Win User

Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:

Vesao, Mar 22, 2020
  3. User Account Folder Name

Hi,

Kindly perform the following steps to change your Windows 10 User Account Name.

• Press windows key + R, then type netplwiz.
    • Under Users for this computer, double click on your user account.
    • Change the user name then click on Apply.
    • Click OK.
    • Restart the PC.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Gerdimae Sal, Mar 22, 2020
  4. Jessen P Win User

Query about changing the User Accounts name

Hi Jerry,

Perform the steps mentioned below to change the user account name.

• Sign in to the Your info page on the Microsoft account website.

• Under your name, select Edit name.
      If there’s no name listed yet, select Add name.
    • Edit or add the name you want, then choose Save.
      Your Microsoft account name will start to appear or change everywhere you use it.

Please revert if you still cannot change the user account name.

Thank you.

Jessen P, Mar 22, 2020
Thema:

1. Two User Accounts with same name - Similar Threads - User Accounts same

2. Two OneDrive Personal accounts with same name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Two OneDrive Personal accounts with same name: I have two onedrive personal accounts and they are both named OneDrive-Personal. Each is tied to a different email account. Without opening them I can't tell the difference. Is there a method to rename either to reflect the unique email account or my choice of name? If not,...
  3. Two OneDrive Personal accounts with same name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two OneDrive Personal accounts with same name: I have two onedrive personal accounts and they are both named OneDrive-Personal. Each is tied to a different email account. Without opening them I can't tell the difference. Is there a method to rename either to reflect the unique email account or my choice of name? If not,...
  4. Two OneDrive Personal accounts with same name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Two Instances of Skype. Same Time, 2 Accounts / User Names, Firefox

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Two Instances of Skype. Same Time, 2 Accounts / User Names, Firefox: I am endeavoring to run two instances of Skype at the same time. The idea is like one account for work and one for the family. I have the two Skype accounts working well enough. In trying to sort out how to get both active at the same time. I have become lost in history and...
  6. Two Instances of Skype. Same Time, 2 Accounts / User Names, Firefox

in Windows 10 Support
    Two Instances of Skype. Same Time, 2 Accounts / User Names, Firefox: I am endeavoring to run two instances of Skype at the same time. The idea is like one account for work and one for the family. I have the two Skype accounts working well enough. In trying to sort out how to get both active at the same time. I have become lost in history and...
  7. Local User Account Name Same as Microsoft Account Name?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Local User Account Name Same as Microsoft Account Name?: I just installed Windows 10 on a workstation on my network there are many computers on this internal network. Since this network is secure and I'm the only employee... the same username and password is used on all systems... mine. This makes it very simple to use the...
  8. Two Games with the same name.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two Games with the same name.: Why does Windows have a problem with video games with the same name? EA has two different versions of the video game Need for Speed Most Wanted. But that is all they have in common. The first Need for Speed Most Wanted was developed by Black Box Games and was released in...
  9. User name under C is not the same as the Account name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User name under C is not the same as the Account name: We recently bought my husband a new computer. We put in his name, which is Collins as the account name. However, when I go to the C drive his user name shows up as Colli. Is there a way to Change that....
  10. System using two different names for same user account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    System using two different names for same user account: I am setting up a new PC. Win 10 seems to force you to use a Microsoft email account/address as the basis for setting it up. It then uses 5 letters from the email name as your user account name. You can then convert the user account to a "local" account, not tied in to the...