Windows 10: Two users, two different environments on a laptop

Discus and support Two users, two different environments on a laptop in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Likely a newbie question... I don't have a laptop so I can't check right now. Windows 10 x64 Pro two users. Is it possible to have two environments /... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by tfwul, Jun 10, 2018.

1. tfwul Win User

Two users, two different environments on a laptop

Likely a newbie question...
    I don't have a laptop so I can't check right now.

Windows 10 x64 Pro two users.
    Is it possible to have two environments / desktops (maybe something like admin and guest?) on a laptop?

which desktop showing up depending on the login credentials?
    meaning when I log in as admin the desktop shows slightly different things than logging as guest.

Also, if I need to log in onto the laptop, will that then affect my desktop pc? (no login required there)

Thanks

:)

tfwul, Jun 10, 2018

2. no longer able to set User's environment variables in control panel

Hello,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

From the description provided, I understand that you are not able to work on the Environment Variables in Windows 10 after the latest update to build 10586.3.

The path to access the Environment variables in Windows would be:

Control panel -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> Advanced -> Environment variables.

However, if the above is still in place, but however, you still face functionality issue, I would suggest you to rollback to the previous build and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Click on Start and select Settings and then choose Update & security.
    • Then click on ‘Recovery Options’.
    • Click on the ‘Get started’ button in the ‘Go back to a previous build of Windows’ option to start the recovery process.
    Hope the above information is helpful. If you need further information, feel free to write t us and we would be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Jun 10, 2018
  3. ustulo Win User
    Edit Environment Variables of Standard User Account

In Windows 10, how can I set user-level (not system wide) environment variables for a standard user account? To clarify: I'm not talking about editing system environment variables. Also, just running the System app in Control Panel as admin won't work because
    that would set the environment variables for that admin user.

When I go to Control Panel -> User Accounts, then click the "Change my environment variables" link in the left-hand action pane, nothing happens.

If I go to the search box on the task bar and type "environment", then click "Edit environment variables for your account", nothing happens.

Currently I have JAVA_HOME set to an incorrect value in my user account, which is a standard user not an admin. If I edit environment variables as admin, it does not show up in the system environment variables nor in the user environment variables (since
    the Administrator account is a different user).

ustulo, Jun 10, 2018
Thema:

Two users, two different environments on a laptop

1. Two users, two different environments on a laptop - Similar Threads - users different environments

2. Two separate users on two different drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two separate users on two different drives: Hello, I have a question about separating user data on windows. Is there a way to allow a member of my family to store all of their user data, downloads, documents, etc. onto a separate drive? Ideally, everything of theirs would be located on this second drive because they...
  3. Two separate users on two different drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Two separate users on two different drives: Hello, I have a question about separating user data on windows. Is there a way to allow a member of my family to store all of their user data, downloads, documents, etc. onto a separate drive? Ideally, everything of theirs would be located on this second drive because they...
  4. Two PCs but two different internet speeds

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Two PCs but two different internet speeds: I get on about 450Mbps on my several Dell Windows 10 PCs. However, one of my Dell PCs is running Windows 7. The speed on it is about 8Mbps. All of the PCs are networked via Cat5 cables. My iPhones see about 100Mbps wireless of course.So is it Windows 7 that causes the...
  5. Two different problems reported by two different browsers for Outlook.

in Browsers and Email
    Two different problems reported by two different browsers for Outlook.: This started about three days ago and is consistent with Microsoft Edge and hit or miss with Firefox, except that Firefox has the option to accept the risk and continue on to sign-in. Both browsers are fully up to date but the funny thing is, my smart phone uses the same...
  6. Two users

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Two users: After setting up win 10 when the computer was new I was helped by Microsoft to set up Office 365, however she misspelled my user name by starting it with an upper case letter. Microsoft 365 has a useful 1tb cloud , and all my work was as the other user and adminiatrator. We...
  7. Two laptops, one onedrive account but different path-name on the two different laptops

in Windows 10 Customization
    Two laptops, one onedrive account but different path-name on the two different laptops: Laptop one: C:\Nyvoll Consult as\Prosjekt - Bygg Prosjekt Laptop two: C:\Nyvoll Consult as\Nyvoll Consult as\Prosjekt - Bygg Prosjekt I use my laptops as a professional, and a lot of files are linked together. But with different paths, this is a problem. How to fix?...
  8. Two different user folders?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Two different user folders?: It seems like I have 2 users folders One with path C:\Users\[username] and the other [username] I only notice this if I pin the user folder to Quick Access. Pictures attached. 48467
  9. Granting two users different permissions to different folders

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Granting two users different permissions to different folders: I have a Windows 10 PC that acts as a file share. Within this file share there are several hundred folders. I'd like to know if there is an easy to grant two different users different permissions to these several hundred folders. For example, I'd like like one users to be...
  10. Two (little) different BSOD in two days.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Two (little) different BSOD in two days.: Hi, Two (little) different BSOD in two days. The first yesterday while I was not using the PC (but many apps open), I heard him restart. I checked the memory, no problem. I checked all my drives, no problem, I installed the latest AMD drivers and today I got the second...