Windows 10: Two virtually identical installations: C drive on one is 10GB larger

Discus and support Two virtually identical installations: C drive on one is 10GB larger in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This is probably too elementary for words, but it's puzzling me. I have two desktops with essentially the same software installed on both, both with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Wisewiz, May 4, 2021.

1. Wisewiz Win User

Two virtually identical installations: C drive on one is 10GB larger

This is probably too elementary for words, but it's puzzling me. I have two desktops with essentially the same software installed on both, both with two SSDs, both running the same build of W10 Pro 20H2. I never install software to C if I can help it -- D is my applications and utilities drive; F is storage -- so C has only Windows and the few apps that won't permit custom installation, but when I check File Explorer I find that C is 31GB on one computer and only 21 on the other. I've run through the folders on C on both to see whether I can find the heavy culprit, but nothing obvious shows up. I have no Windows.old on either computer. Page files sized the same (2,048) on both. Yeah, I know: 10GB is no big deal. But I sure would like to find that space-hog. Any ideas?

:)

Wisewiz, May 4, 2021
  2. Wisewiz Win User

Thanks for responding, friends. I do, indeed run Disk Cleanup (plus System Files) once each week on both, and I have my System Restore files always down to just the most recent one. I let Google and Mozilla put Chrome and Firefox on C, but I watch and weed the accumulation of cache and cookie files frequently. Please keep the suggestions, coming, you wizards. I'm in a Sherlock Holmes frame of mind today.

These are work computers, so no games, no photos, no vids, no music, fewer than 20 installed applications/utilities (same on each). Running bare bones for speed and functionality, but somebody stole 10 Gigs more of my main disk on one than
    Two virtually identical installations: C drive on one is 10GB larger [​IMG]

on the other.

Wisewiz, May 5, 2021
  3. Bree Win User
    Bree, May 5, 2021
  4. Wisewiz Win User

Gittin' 'er now. Back soon.

Okay: Windows is 4GB larger and Program Files is 4GB larger on system A than on B. I'm sure I can figure out what the heavyweights are in program files, but I have no idea what to look for ---- wait, I bet I can use that tree program again to check just the Windows folder. Back soon.

Well, that narrows it down. Why would SxS and Sys32 be significantly larger on one?

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, I used that little gem of a tree program (THANKS, Bree, it's a keeper!) to drill down and down and down, and what I've decided on the evidence is that I have no hogs; only a bunch of not-very-substantial piglets here and there, and they all add up to the 10 Gig difference between the two C drives. Given that the two machines are used slightly differently, and their record-keeping functions thus have different data, I am no longer either surprised or concerned.

Many thanks to Navy and Bree (Dr. Watsons 1 & 2) for helping me to solve this case. Now back to Scotland yard.

Wisewiz, May 5, 2021
Thema:

1. Two virtually identical installations: C drive on one is 10GB larger - Similar Threads - virtually identical installations

2. Two almost identical Windows Folders in C:\

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two almost identical Windows Folders in C:\: So I am having an issue. There are two almost identical Windows folders. This confuses the file size display. In truth, the "windows" folder is filled with only one file. The "Windows" folder has all the system files. I need to remove the second windows folder somehow! This...
  3. Two almost identical Windows Folders in C:\

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Two almost identical Windows Folders in C:\: So I am having an issue. There are two almost identical Windows folders. This confuses the file size display. In truth, the "windows" folder is filled with only one file. The "Windows" folder has all the system files. I need to remove the second windows folder somehow! This...
  4. make c drive larger?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    make c drive larger?: is it possible to extend the space in my c drive? i want to add a game and im 60+ GB short... ive seen videos on youtube where others have been able to extend the drive... then ive seen posts under the videos where the same technique has screwed up their computers,.... is...
  5. make c drive larger?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    make c drive larger?: is it possible to extend the space in my c drive? i want to add a game and im 60+ GB short... ive seen videos on youtube where others have been able to extend the drive... then ive seen posts under the videos where the same technique has screwed up their computers,.... is...
  6. Clone C Drive to a second Identical drive F and boot from either one

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clone C Drive to a second Identical drive F and boot from either one: I want to clone C to F and have the option to boot from either drive.It appears that a couple of years ago NVidia decided to cease supporting 3D playback in their drivers. Of course I was overseas on an extended holiday and missed the whole event. I occasionally watch 3D...
  7. Two identical 500gb drives in my desktop Dell xps 8300 show up as one 1tb C drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Two identical 500gb drives in my desktop Dell xps 8300 show up as one 1tb C drive: I wanted to clone my old C drive to a new SSD. I was surprised to find 2 HDDs! Pulling the power from either gives a no boot drive error. Disk info shows this "C" drive is simple basic, which I believe means not in a RAID configuration. There is no mention of RAID...
  8. How to Swap 'C' Drive for a Larger 'C' Drive??

How to Swap 'C' Drive for a Larger 'C' Drive??: I have a Desktop PC with three SSDs for various apps and programs of which one of them is 500Gb which only has Windows 10 installed on it. What's the best way to go about swapping out this 500Gb SSD which is the 'C' Drive' for a larger capacity SSD?? I've got a backup of my...
  9. How to Swap 'C' Drive for a Larger 'C' Drive??

in Windows 10 Support
    How to Swap 'C' Drive for a Larger 'C' Drive??: I have a Desktop PC with three SSDs for various apps and programs of which one of them is 500Gb which only has Windows 10 installed on it. What's the best way to go about swapping out this 500Gb SSD which is the 'C' Drive' for a larger capacity SSD?? I've got a backup of my...
  10. Replace C drive with larger 1.

Replace C drive with larger 1.: My computer is a refurbished Dell Optiplex 9010 that came with the 118GB HdD C-drive that fills up fast when working with graphics. I did a disk image with Macrium ReflectDL, which is stored on (D). What is best way to get the image on (storage D)? Both reside in the same bay...