Windows 10: Two windows boot - hybernate - single SSD

Discus and support Two windows boot - hybernate - single SSD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi guys, I have been looking on internet of how to solve it but I cannot find a proper solution. I will give you a bit of background about my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by levo, Oct 29, 2020.

1. levo Win User

Two windows boot - hybernate - single SSD

Hi guys,

I have been looking on internet of how to solve it but I cannot find a proper solution. I will give you a bit of background about my situation.
    I have recently bought a new laptop (ASUS G14) which only has 1 slot for an SSD, in this case I have a 2TB M.2. I want to use this laptop for both work and personal purposes, but I really need the two of them to be separate OS as in each one I will install different types of software (mostly 3d design tools).
    I know that two windows can be installed at the same time with no issues (in fact I have already tried it) but the main issue is that I cannot hibernate one and move to the other, so when I come back it is in the state I left it. It seems not very important, but to change from one to another twice a day having to close all the software/files make my life much more difficult.
    I have been thinking also about the VM option, but because Im rendering and working with GPU this option is not doable as it in a way reduce the resources you can use on the VM.
    My question is, is there a way to dualboot two windows versions keeping the hybernate option? Is there a way to overwrite the windows boot with another boot loader that threat them as different systems? Thanks in advance.

:)

2. Unable to boot Windows after cloning it to SSD

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues while booting the PC after cloning Windows to new SSD. I would like to know what happens when you try to boot the PC to desktop using SSD?

The reason you are not able to boot the PC is that the files required to boot Windows are still recognizing the HDD as the main drive. I would suggest you to try rebuilding the BCD files and see if you are able to boot the PC using
    SSD.

Kindly follow the steps below to rebuild the BCD.

1. Create a bootable media and boot the PC using the media.
    2. On the Install Windows screen, select Next >
      Repair your computer.
    3. On the System Recovery Options screen, select
      Troubleshoot
      > Advanced options > Command Prompt.
    4. Now type in the commands and hit enter: BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /scanos

BOOTREC /rebuildbcd
    5. Restart the PC.

If the issue persists, please get back to us with the results of the troubleshooting steps to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Oct 29, 2020
  3. Arjay Dom Win User
    slow ssd

Hi,

Slow SSD performance can be caused by several factors like Hybernation mode and Superfetch service.

As an initial troubleshooting step, try disabling Hibernate mode since it is unnecessary for the SSD system as it takes too much time to boot from it.

• Open Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Enter the administrator credentials once prompted.
    • In the Command Prompt window, type or copy and paste this command:

powercfg -h off
    • Press Enter.

Note: Once Hibernate is already disabled, you can also free up some space to improve its performance.

We also recommenddisabing Superfetch as one way to optimize the SSD performance:

• Press Windows key + R to open the Run
      dialog box.
    • Type services.msc and press Enter.
    • Scroll down and right-click on Superfetch.
    • Select Stop.

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

*If you think this was useful, feel free to "mark it as an answer" to help those who are facing the same problem.*

Arjay Dom, Oct 29, 2020
  4. HairyFool Win User

Windows 10 SSD Boot and Sleep faliure

Windows cannot stop the BIOS recognising the SSD. If at any time you can go into the BIOS and the SSD is not listed then you have an (intermittent) hardware fault. It does not matter what the precursor steps are if the hardware was OK it must be listed

Step 6 is categorical, you have a hardware fault. BIOS device recognition is always before drivers load so they cannot affect the process

HairyFool, Oct 29, 2020
Thema:

1. Two windows boot - hybernate - single SSD - Similar Threads - boot hybernate single

2. Two drives show after replacing hybrid SSD/HDD with a single SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Two drives show after replacing hybrid SSD/HDD with a single SSD: I recently encountered a SMART failure predicted for my 1 TB hard drive that was part of a 256MB SSD and 1TB HDD hybrid in my HP Pavillion laptop. After doing some verification to confirm it was indeed a hard drive issue, I ended up ordering a replacement 1TB SSD and using...
  3. Two drives show after replacing hybrid SSD/HDD with a single SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Two drives show after replacing hybrid SSD/HDD with a single SSD: I recently encountered a SMART failure predicted for my 1 TB hard drive that was part of a 256MB SSD and 1TB HDD hybrid in my HP Pavillion laptop. After doing some verification to confirm it was indeed a hard drive issue, I ended up ordering a replacement 1TB SSD and using...
  4. Two drives show after replacing hybrid SSD/HDD with a single SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Two drives show after replacing hybrid SSD/HDD with a single SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Move Boot Raid-0 to Single SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move Boot Raid-0 to Single SSD: My Win11 boot is two 500GB M.2 drives mounted as a RAID-0 array not my original choice - and they're running out of room. I want to change the boot to a new single 1TB SSD drive. I have three other internal HDDs mounted additional volumes and two external HDDs for backup and...
  7. Move Boot Raid-0 to Single SSD

Move Boot Raid-0 to Single SSD: My Win11 boot is two 500GB M.2 drives mounted as a RAID-0 array not my original choice - and they're running out of room. I want to change the boot to a new single 1TB SSD drive. I have three other internal HDDs mounted additional volumes and two external HDDs for backup and...
  8. Single SSD showing up as two separated drives.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Single SSD showing up as two separated drives.: A year ago, I bought a PC with a 480 GB NVMe SSD. Back then, in the store from I bought it, they asked me if i wanted to split the drive into two partitions of equal capacity 223223 GB which I accepted. Today I was trying to reinstall windows from a usb recovery media, and I...
  9. Single SSD showing up as two separated drives.

Single SSD showing up as two separated drives.: A year ago, I bought a PC with a 480 GB NVMe SSD. Back then, in the store from I bought it, they asked me if i wanted to split the drive into two partitions of equal capacity 223223 GB which I accepted. Today I was trying to reinstall windows from a usb recovery media, and I...
  10. Single SSD showing up as two separated drives.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware