Windows 10: Two Windows installations - one for MBR and one for GPT

Discus and support Two Windows installations - one for MBR and one for GPT in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have 1 SSD and 2 PCs I want to test things on: One is new with UEFI and GPT, and one is very old with MBR Is it possible to make 2 partitions on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mibaup, Jan 19, 2021.

1. mibaup Win User

Two Windows installations - one for MBR and one for GPT

I have 1 SSD and 2 PCs I want to test things on: One is new with UEFI and GPT, and one is very old with MBR

Is it possible to make 2 partitions on the SSD, and install Windows on one partition on the GPT system(then the installation will automatically crate the necessary Windows partitions), and then switch to the other PC and again Windows will automatically create the MBR installation partitions?

Will I be able to swap this SSD between PCs without issues? Will it "know" to boot? I am ordering another SSD but until it arrives *Zip

Thanks

:)

mibaup, Jan 19, 2021

2. GPT vs MBR for SSD OS Disk ? (win7 install)

If I have UEFI BIOS, I'm going to use GPT. Only reason why I wouldn't is because the drive is shared between new and old computers (MBR has broader compatibility support). I wrote a guide how to install Windows on GPT here:
    Installing Windows Vista/7 on a GUID Partition Table

No. Either you install on GPT via EFI boot or you intall MBR via BIOS boot. You can't install Windows and change it later.

Not only does GPT support booting to partitions larger than 2 TB, it also means the computer is booted using EFI which means it has a lot more memory to work with during startup. It should theoretically mean startup is quicker on EFI/GPT than BIOS/MBR.

FordGT90Concept, Jan 19, 2021
  3. GPT vs MBR for SSD OS Disk ? (win7 install)

So I cannot use all the new bios UI and fancy pre-boot evironiment if i don't use UEFI-boot ? With or without GPT?

I just want to use the UEFI without GPT: so can I UEFI-boot and install win7 with MBR?

Now I actually asked the correct question I wanted. Sorry it took time to figure out.

RuskiSnajper, Jan 19, 2021
  4. Two Windows installations - one for MBR and one for GPT

GPT vs MBR for SSD OS Disk ? (win7 install)

Sigh.

BIOS is being replaced with UEFI. Both BIOS and UEFI tell the hardware how to communicate, turn it on, and generally make your system start-up. As such, you could theoretically have a set of hardware that runs Linux, Windows 98, and Windows 8 while still getting UEFI support during the boot-up (assuming you've got a hardware CSM).

So yes, you can go MBR and get the UEFI visual boot-up options. The visual cues will be determined by your motherboard manufacturer. GPT is not a necessity, unless you are using a boot disk larger than 2TB.

In short, because every time it seems there's more information you raise a different question:
    Yes, you can have UEFI on a Windows 7 install with MBR partitioning.
    No, UEFI does not require GPT partitioning.
    You should install windows 7 with the default settings (MBR) for compatibility and ease of install.
    Yes, GPT will unlock some new features, but they are unlikely to benefit you.
    A search of wikipedia might help with other questions: Unified Extensible Firmware Interface - Wikipedia

lilhasselhoffer, Jan 19, 2021
Thema:

Two Windows installations - one for MBR and one for GPT

1. Two Windows installations - one for MBR and one for GPT - Similar Threads - installations MBR GPT

2. MBR To GPT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MBR To GPT: Hello there!I have installed Windows 11 with a weird way I found on Youtube.Although my system supports all the specifications to run Windows 11 and I am stuck at the secure boot thing.I activated Secure Boot from my motherboard and now I have to run MBR2GPT.EXE and an error...
  3. Two MBR and System partitions with one Windows partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Two MBR and System partitions with one Windows partition: After a few instances of the blue screen of death with "critical process died" I decided to do a clean install Windows 10. Made a recovery USB and a clone of my SSD first. Did a clean install of Windows from within window, but the process froze at 26% and later jumped to 100%...
  4. Two MBR and System partitions with one Windows partition

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Two MBR and System partitions with one Windows partition: After a few instances of the blue screen of death with "critical process died" I decided to do a clean install Windows 10. Made a recovery USB and a clone of my SSD first. Did a clean install of Windows from within window, but the process froze at 26% and later jumped to 100%...
  5. Two MBR and System partitions with one Windows partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. KB2983588 problem but one drive is GPT the boot drive is MBR

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    KB2983588 problem but one drive is GPT the boot drive is MBR: Had several updates to windows. Did not notice when the problem first appears as I rarely use the 2nd disk drive.The drive no longer shows up in win10x64 20H2. The event viewer is full of errors about duplicate disk drives and even more ahci reset commands issued to that D...
  7. new installation gpt not mbr

in Windows 10 Customization
    new installation gpt not mbr: I have assembled a new desktop computer that has eufi bios. My existing computer on which I am writing this question is a Legacy bios how do I get a win10 installed on the new one, as the "Media Creation Tool" copy won't work. Thanks Keith...
  8. Convert only one disk from MBR to GPT

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Convert only one disk from MBR to GPT: I have one SSD and other normal HDD. On SSD, i installed window 10 and on HDD normal data. Both are MBR partition. So my question is can i re-install new window 10 using GPT partition on SSD without interrupting other hard-drive....
  9. MBR or GPT ????

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    MBR or GPT ????: hello, I had my 120GB SDD replaced by a 480GB one and made a clean install of win10 got an adapter to use the small SDD as an external backup disk I get a window demanding that I initialize the disk I do not have a clue what I should select...MBR or GPT ? *Huh I intend...
  10. GPT or MBR

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    GPT or MBR: Or MBR or GPT Asus laptop with 8.1 installed. One disk, 2 partitions. I've installed 10 a number of times, VM and dual boot on desktop. Went to install 10, dual boot. When I got to picking the partition, said "Cannot be installed, selected disk is of the MBR partition...