Windows 10: Type a Unicode Character

Discus and support Type a Unicode Character in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I am using Win 10 version 2004 and build 19041.388. If I try to enter a Unicode character via the method Alt + <hex number>, then I do get a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jake9wi, Jul 25, 2020.

1. jake9wi Win User

Type a Unicode Character

Hello, I am using Win 10 version 2004 and build 19041.388.

If I try to enter a Unicode character via the method Alt + <hex number>, then I do get a character but it is the wrong one.

For example if I enter 2212 it give a 'n' with a squiggle on top whereas it should return the character "hyphen bullet".

:)

jake9wi, Jul 25, 2020
  2. Fafhrd Win User

How to type unicode characters in Windows 10?

I haven't the right keyboard available on my laptop, so I can't test this, but the way we used to do it was:

1. Press and hold down the Alt key.
    2. Press the + (plus) key on the numeric keypad.
    3. Type the hexidecimal unicode value.
    4. Release the Alt key.
    This comes from:

How to enter Unicode characters in Microsoft Windows

Which leads on to this small utility:

UnicodeInput - a utility to enter Unicode characters on Microsoft Windows

Which I also cannot test.

In Microsoft Word,there must be numerous published macros for handling Unicode - some will be better than others - just go to:

microsoft word unicode macro - Google Search

for loads of links.

Fafhrd, Jul 25, 2020
  3. jfniss Win User

With Microsoft Word, Wordpad and Notepad running in XP and Win7, you could type any unicode character by typing its number followed by Alt+X. For example, you could type ≠ by typing 2260AltX. This doesn't work in Wordpad or Notepad running in Win10; it seems to work in Word, but other codes don't work. Is there a way to type '≠' from the keyboard in Win10?

jfniss, Jul 25, 2020
  4. Type a Unicode Character

PS > [char]18662

Pierrecoch, Jul 25, 2020
Thema:

Type a Unicode Character

1. Type a Unicode Character - Similar Threads - Type Unicode Character

2. keyboard typing wrong characters

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    keyboard typing wrong characters: My keyboard enters " when I type @ I choose UK English for the keyboard, and now can't find a way to fix this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/keyboard-typing-wrong-characters/420ea5db-768d-4f4e-aef2-a2e992376ba2
  3. Typing characters issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Typing characters issue: Why does my laptop keyboard type different characters than what is intended? It only does it occasionally like tpis. <---example: p for h Rigpt now I'm using Cprome. I go to MS Edge and it is fine. I go to MS Excel, Word, it is normal. I pave to close everytping and...
  4. Non unicode Greek charactes problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    Non unicode Greek charactes problem: Hello, I tried a lot to install a greek engineering software, but i have a serious problem with my non unicode characters. I own a razer blade 14" 2017 bought from america if that make any sense. I made without changing something those steps: - Control...
  5. Asian characters become unicode ���

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Asian characters become unicode ���: Sometimes when I download/install programs that's originally written in Chinese, folder names and the text in the installer just show up as ����� and I can't read anything. When I play older songs on itunes, previously correctly named songs, with correct artists etc. all...
  6. Keyboard typing many characters.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard typing many characters.: This is on a Dell Laptop Windows 10. So after a recent update, my keyboard has been really screwy. When I wish to type an 'r', 'v', 'e' or 'f' it will type out many characters and is always the same characters for example 'r' will type 'rweq43poiu' 'v' will do somewhat the...
  7. ALT Characters WON'T type

ALT Characters WON'T type: Hi, I am using a French keyboard (Dell SK-8165). The top numbers row has 12 keys. The firs left key has: #, \ and | characters The second key has: 1, ! and + and - characters The third key has: 2, " and @ characters The fourth key has: 3, / and £ characters The fifth...
  8. Typing in unicode _ Tamil

Typing in unicode _ Tamil: I need to type in Tamil (language). I find only one typewriter style in the language section. This style is not proper Tamil Typing method. But, it is phonetic typing. Is there any way to install another Tamil keyboard?...
  9. Keyboard Not Typing Correct Characters

in Windows 10 Support
    Keyboard Not Typing Correct Characters: My brother has an HP laptop (Model bs057cl) that he hasn't used in about a year. When he boots the computer he's unable to use the keyboard normally. We brought up the onscreen keyboard which, although it works, does not match the normal qwerty keyboard layout. In fact, the...
  10. How to type unicode characters in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to type unicode characters in Windows 10?: With Microsoft Word, Wordpad and Notepad running in XP and Win7, you could type any unicode character by typing its number followed by Alt+X. For example, you could type ≠ by typing 2260AltX. This doesn't work in Wordpad or Notepad running in Win10; it seems to work in Word,...