Windows 10: Type a Unicode Character

Discus and support Type a Unicode Character in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I am using Win 10 version 2004 and build 19041.388. If I try to enter a Unicode character via the method Alt + <hex number>, then I do get a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jake9wi, Jul 25, 2020.

1. jake9wi Win User

Type a Unicode Character

Hello, I am using Win 10 version 2004 and build 19041.388.

If I try to enter a Unicode character via the method Alt + <hex number>, then I do get a character but it is the wrong one.

For example if I enter 2212 it give a 'n' with a squiggle on top whereas it should return the character "hyphen bullet".

:)

jake9wi, Jul 25, 2020
  2. Fafhrd Win User

How to type unicode characters in Windows 10?

I haven't the right keyboard available on my laptop, so I can't test this, but the way we used to do it was:

1. Press and hold down the Alt key.
    2. Press the + (plus) key on the numeric keypad.
    3. Type the hexidecimal unicode value.
    4. Release the Alt key.
    This comes from:

How to enter Unicode characters in Microsoft Windows

Which leads on to this small utility:

UnicodeInput - a utility to enter Unicode characters on Microsoft Windows

Which I also cannot test.

In Microsoft Word,there must be numerous published macros for handling Unicode - some will be better than others - just go to:

microsoft word unicode macro - Google Search

for loads of links.

Fafhrd, Jul 25, 2020
  3. jfniss Win User

With Microsoft Word, Wordpad and Notepad running in XP and Win7, you could type any unicode character by typing its number followed by Alt+X. For example, you could type ≠ by typing 2260AltX. This doesn't work in Wordpad or Notepad running in Win10; it seems to work in Word, but other codes don't work. Is there a way to type '≠' from the keyboard in Win10?

jfniss, Jul 25, 2020
  4. Type a Unicode Character

PS > [char]18662

Pierrecoch, Jul 25, 2020
Thema:

Type a Unicode Character

1. Type a Unicode Character - Similar Threads - Type Unicode Character

2. Problem with Unicode Typing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with Unicode Typing: Hello,I recently installed Windows 11 on my PC. I installed a software called "Avro" which allows me to write in my native language, Bangla. It is a free Unicode and ANSI compliant Bengali keyboard interface for Windows. The problem is that when I try to write something in...
  3. Problem with Unicode Typing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with Unicode Typing: Hello,I recently installed Windows 11 on my PC. I installed a software called "Avro" which allows me to write in my native language, Bangla. It is a free Unicode and ANSI compliant Bengali keyboard interface for Windows. The problem is that when I try to write something in...
  4. Unicode characters in console

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unicode characters in console: Hi, I recently switched from Mac OSX to Windows 10 and installed WSL + Debian 10; my default shell is zsh and using ohmyzsh to improve the UX of the shell. I just noticed that unicode characters are not supported and I'm wondering if there is a way to fix this. Thanks....
  5. Unicode characters showing problem.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unicode characters showing problem.: Hello, When I type Bangla fonts, characters are showing just as??????? question marks, I've added Bangla language from Language settings, necessary fonts are also already installed. Still the problem is the same. Some icons of windows are also showing as weired...
  6. Fonts/Unicode Characters

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Fonts/Unicode Characters: So I was deleting some preinstalled fonts like Microsoft fonts and things like Arial Bold. The reason I did this is because there are a lot of preinstalled fonts and I'm always downloading new fonts for creative purposes. I deleted a bunch of these fonts so that it would be...
  7. Non unicode Greek charactes problem

Non unicode Greek charactes problem: Hello, I tried a lot to install a greek engineering software, but i have a serious problem with my non unicode characters. I own a razer blade 14" 2017 bought from america if that make any sense. I made without changing something those steps: - Control...
  8. Asian characters become unicode ���

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Asian characters become unicode ���: Sometimes when I download/install programs that's originally written in Chinese, folder names and the text in the installer just show up as ����� and I can't read anything. When I play older songs on itunes, previously correctly named songs, with correct artists etc. all...
  9. Typing in unicode _ Tamil

Typing in unicode _ Tamil: I need to type in Tamil (language). I find only one typewriter style in the language section. This style is not proper Tamil Typing method. But, it is phonetic typing. Is there any way to install another Tamil keyboard?...
  10. How to type unicode characters in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to type unicode characters in Windows 10?: With Microsoft Word, Wordpad and Notepad running in XP and Win7, you could type any unicode character by typing its number followed by Alt+X. For example, you could type ≠ by typing 2260AltX. This doesn't work in Wordpad or Notepad running in Win10; it seems to work in Word,...