Windows 10: Type C - Thunderbolt - Losing Power/Flickering/Disconnecting Continuously

Discus and support Type C - Thunderbolt - Losing Power/Flickering/Disconnecting Continuously in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I have an external monitor that is supposed to work through the Type C port. The company said that an update to Windows has cut back the power so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by NDT Tech, Apr 19, 2021.

1. NDT Tech Win User

Type C - Thunderbolt - Losing Power/Flickering/Disconnecting Continuously

Hi, I have an external monitor that is supposed to work through the Type C port.

The company said that an update to Windows has cut back the power so now the monitor will not stay on. It powers on for 5 seconds, then shuts off, powers on for 5 seconds, powers off....etc etc etc.

Is there anyway to adjust the power of the thunderbolt Type C port?
    Is anyone else experiencing this with the USBs/TypeC ports on their Windows 10 computers?

I need this monitor for work and am trying to find a quick response.

Thanks!

:)

NDT Tech, Apr 19, 2021

2. thunderbolt 3 to displayport adapter

Hi John,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that inconvenience you are facing when the things may not work as expected.

1. What is the make and model of the computer?

When the Thunderbolt 3 is used with certain eighth generation Intel processor-based Windows 10 systems, there is a possibility that the two USB 3.0 ports on the back of the dock (closest to the Ethernet port)
    may not be recognized properly by the operating system.

However, I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below and let us know if that helps.

1. Disconnect the pluggable Thunderbolt 3 dock from the system and remove its power cable to turn off completely.
    2. Uninstall the Intel ‘Thunderbolt Software’ present on your system via the Control Panel ->
      Programs and Features and restart the device once.
    3. Download and install the latest version of the Intel Thunderbolt Software published by your system manufacturer. If you are unable to obtain this download from your system manufacturer, you can download a version directly from Intel
      here -> https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...-Driver-for-Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC8i7HNK-NUC8i7HVK
    4. Restart the system once again.
    5. Reconnect the power cable to the pluggable Thunderbolt 3 dock, and then reconnect the Thunderbolt 3 cable from the dock to your system.
    6. You should be prompted to authenticate/approve the dock. Follow the onscreen prompts for the completion of the process and check the status of the issue.

If the issue still persists I suggest you to get in touch with the
    Thunderbolt support for the further assistance.

Hope it helps.

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Apr 19, 2021
  3. Usb - c / thunderbolt issue

Thank you for your reply,

However, I don't believe the situation is power being generated, unless I fail to understand the power distribution from a USB port.

The GLYPH ATOM RAID SSD, has a green light which indicates when the drive is connected; which has stayed on.

Additionally, a few video files were able to be copied before the File Speed eventually hits 0 and disconnects and strangely enough, I am able to watch these videos, streaming from the Drive, without any buffering ( which would indicate data loss due to disconnect ) and without the drive disconnecting itself.

The latter, making no sense, with an open channel of data stream, versus transferring a large amount of files causes a disconnect. Even just beginning to run Crystal Mark Test, causes an immediate disconnect.

pvalexander, Apr 19, 2021
  4. Type C - Thunderbolt - Losing Power/Flickering/Disconnecting Continuously

Usb - c / thunderbolt issue

USB type-C just refers to the physical port. You can run various protocols through that port - USB 2.0, USB 3.1, Thunderbolt, HDMI, etc. For instance, the Pixel phone has a USB type-C port but only supports USB 2.0 over it. The USB controller is the one that determines what goes over which physical ports, which is why Windows only refers to the USB 3.1 controller and not type-A or type-C port.

It is possible that the Razer is not supplying as much power through the type-C as the type-A. There are multiple power levels that a USB port can supply, depending on the system design. I couldn't find much information about the motherboard in that laptop so you might want to try asking Razer support.

PolarNettles, Apr 19, 2021
Thema:

Type C - Thunderbolt - Losing Power/Flickering/Disconnecting Continuously

1. Type C - Thunderbolt - Losing Power/Flickering/Disconnecting Continuously - Similar Threads - Type Thunderbolt Losing

2. Issue with SSD after power flickered and caused PC to lose power momentarily

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Issue with SSD after power flickered and caused PC to lose power momentarily: My PC lost power momentarily during a power flicker caused during a storm.Afterwards, my PC initially would not boot Windows and was stuck in a boot loop. It would either get stuck in the boot process, or could not get passed "Preparing Automatic Repair". After about and hour...
  3. Issue with SSD after power flickered and caused PC to lose power momentarily

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issue with SSD after power flickered and caused PC to lose power momentarily: My PC lost power momentarily during a power flicker caused during a storm.Afterwards, my PC initially would not boot Windows and was stuck in a boot loop. It would either get stuck in the boot process, or could not get passed "Preparing Automatic Repair". After about and hour...
  4. Issue with SSD after power flickered and caused PC to lose power momentarily

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Dell Thunderbolt Dock Disconnects

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dell Thunderbolt Dock Disconnects: I have an issue with a XPS 17 9700 DELL laptop connected to a DELL WD19TB Thunderbolt dock. I've got a few USB devices keyboard, mouse, headset, and external drive, Ethernet, and two external monitors connected to the dock. All Windows, DELL, and Intell updates are installed....
  6. Dell Thunderbolt Dock Disconnects

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dell Thunderbolt Dock Disconnects: I have an issue with a XPS 17 9700 DELL laptop connected to a DELL WD19TB Thunderbolt dock. I've got a few USB devices keyboard, mouse, headset, and external drive, Ethernet, and two external monitors connected to the dock. All Windows, DELL, and Intell updates are installed....
  7. Huawei type-c headphones are flickering on my computer :

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Huawei type-c headphones are flickering on my computer :: My huawei headphones are flickering on my computer but when i use this headphones, they are working on my phone and my computer's usb port working as well. If i start my computer while huawei headphones still tied my computer doesnt starting. When i plug headphones i will get...
  8. Thunderbolt USB and Ethernet Disconnects

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Thunderbolt USB and Ethernet Disconnects: I have an issue with a new XPS 17 9700 DELL laptop. The laptop is connected to a DELL WD19TB Thunderbolt port replicator and I've got a few USB devices keyboard, mouse, headset, and external drive and two external monitors connected to the dock. All Windows, DELL, and Intell...
  9. Enabling USB Type C (Thunderbolt) socket

Enabling USB Type C (Thunderbolt) socket: I have a desktop using a GA-Z270X-Gaming 7 1151 7th gen ddr4 rgb fusion motherboard, which includes a USB Type C port also described as a Thunderbolt 3 port. I've just purchased a new HP Z38C monitor, which includes some USB ports, however, to use them a cable must be plugged...
  10. Adaptor for type C Thunderbolt 3 port to connect to USB 3.0

Adaptor for type C Thunderbolt 3 port to connect to USB 3.0: Windows Version 1909 I don't know the right terminology. My new Dell laptop has a type-c thunderbolt 3 port. I'm looking for an adapter so that I can connect an external hard drive that has a USB 3.0 connector. I've looked around but I'm not 100% sure if I will be getting...