Windows 10: Type of windows licenses required for permanent Virtual Machine

Discus and support Type of windows licenses required for permanent Virtual Machine in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; What type of windows licenses required for permanent Virtual Machine? For example I want to run a windows 10 enterprise virtual machine, it has an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by ChristianSerrano1, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Type of windows licenses required for permanent Virtual Machine

What type of windows licenses required for permanent Virtual Machine?

For example I want to run a windows 10 enterprise virtual machine, it has an expiration date. I do not want to redownload the file after expiration date due to my data cap.

What kind of license do I need on my main machine (the one that is running the vm) to be able to run vm permanent without a license or extend expiration date.

If that is not an option and have to license the virtual machine, what license would I need?

Thank You

:)

ChristianSerrano1, Jun 14, 2019
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Licensing for a virtual machine

Unfortunately, no. A virtual machine is considered a separate computer and requires a license.

FWIW I used the license key from an old copy of Windows 8 to activate W10 in my VM, and it was accepted.

BulldogXX, Jun 14, 2019
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Licensing for a Virtual Machine on Windows 10 - for Windows 10

There's nobody from Microsoft in a community forum.

A virtual machine is considered a separate device for the purposes of activation and requires its own license.

If you upgrade a Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 virtual machine to Windows 10, activation is free, i.e., no license required. Is that something you can do?

BulldogXX, Jun 14, 2019
  4. Robert_os Win User

Type of windows licenses required for permanent Virtual Machine

Move windows 10 pro license from virtual machine to physical machine.

I need to move a windows 10 pro license from a virtual machine to a physical machine. The license has been bought as windows 10 pro not upgrade etc. The thing is that the computer (Mac book pro) where the virtual machine used to live is now dead beyond
    repair and to expensive to use. So I want to install windows 10 on a dell laptop now but I cant deactivate the old license on the virtual machine. Any suggestions?

Robert_os, Jun 14, 2019
Thema:

Type of windows licenses required for permanent Virtual Machine

1. Type of windows licenses required for permanent Virtual Machine - Similar Threads - Type licenses required

2. Windows Server Virtual Machine Licensing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Server Virtual Machine Licensing: Hello,I contact becouse I have a doubt regarding a licensing scenario with Windows Server:Cluster with High Availability and without DRS rules-> 8 physical hosts of 36 cores each and 46 Windows Server Standard virtual machines of 8 virtual cores each:Option 1: Licensing of...
  3. Windows Server Virtual Machine Licensing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Server Virtual Machine Licensing: Hello,I contact becouse I have a doubt regarding a licensing scenario with Windows Server:Cluster with High Availability and without DRS rules-> 8 physical hosts of 36 cores each and 46 Windows Server Standard virtual machines of 8 virtual cores each:Option 1: Licensing of...
  4. OEM licensing for virtual machine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OEM licensing for virtual machine: I purchased a laptop with Windows 11 Home, with OEM digital license in the BIOS. I would like to replace Windows with Ubuntu Linux, then run Windows 11 in a VirtualBox virtual machine, using that license. Is this possible? What must I do to ensure that I can do this? Will I...
  5. OEM licensing for virtual machine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OEM licensing for virtual machine: I purchased a laptop with Windows 11 Home, with OEM digital license in the BIOS. I would like to replace Windows with Ubuntu Linux, then run Windows 11 in a VirtualBox virtual machine, using that license. Is this possible? What must I do to ensure that I can do this? Will I...
  6. license for virtual machine

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    license for virtual machine: I have a laptop with windows 10 pro installed/licensedI want to test some setups with docker, but do not want to break my private install/setup as I also use vmware and this is not compatible with dockerI downloaded the windows evaluation version virtual machine for vmware...
  7. License For A Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    License For A Virtual Machine: I need to purchase a key not a digital license for windows 10 for using in a virtual machine, naturally i used the windows 7 key i had on the host i originally upgraded to windows 10, this will not activate, and im sure they dont allow this, i dont mind doing this the legal...
  8. Transferring a Windows license from a physical machine to a virtual machine

Transferring a Windows license from a physical machine to a virtual machine: I asked this question previously, but had a follow-up question which was never answered, so I assume that it has to be asked separately. I have Windows 10 Education on a physical machine that I built - is there any way of transferring it to a virtual machine running on a...
  9. Transferring Windows 10 license to virtual machine

Transferring Windows 10 license to virtual machine: Hello I've just built a server and set up a KVM hypervisor on it, and now I want to transfer a little-used mini PC with a Window 10 license to a VM. What implications are there? Can I just virtualize the machine and continue with the VM, since I have a licensed copy of...
  10. OEM licenses and virtual machines

OEM licenses and virtual machines: I just got a computer this week and activated the windows 10 pro OEM license on it. If I now want to install a type 1 hypervisor on the computer like vmshpere and put windows 10 pro and linux on it, will my windows license re-activate? It's the same computer and same...