Windows 10: typing anything in Start menu results in nothing

Discus and support typing anything in Start menu results in nothing in Cortana to solve the problem; Today I did a disk cleanup to get rid of Update files that weren't needed but when I restarted the disk size was the same (It should have got rid of 12... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by DHsurrey, May 12, 2019.

1. DHsurrey Win User

typing anything in Start menu results in nothing

Today I did a disk cleanup to get rid of Update files that weren't needed but when I restarted the disk size was the same (It should have got rid of 12 GB) but my main issue is the start menu when I press the windows key I can type in 'Control panel' and get something but it is not coming up with anything except the interface.

I looked at another answer and it suggested http://aka.ms/diag_StartMenu but this only goes to the microsoft website, why is this tool not available?

:)

DHsurrey, May 12, 2019

2. Start menu not working

I found the following article, ran the suggested powershell command and my start menu is working again. Here it is as I found it:
    Go to Start menu button and right click on it. This will open the contextual menu, after which you need to select Command Prompt (Admin). Once Command Prompt is open, go ahead with the following steps.

• Type and enter: Powershell
    • Type the following: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

Don Donadio, May 12, 2019
  3. Start menu is not working on Windows 10

Hi,

Iunderstand the frustration if things are not working fine as expected.

Please help us with below details,

• When you say "If I sign in under my user name I am in some earlier version", which version you are referring to?

• Did you made any recent changes to your computer prior to the issue?

• When you say “I cannot access the start menu and am limited to IP as a browser” Is it refers to Microsoft Edge?

As an initial steps, I suggest you to check for the Windows version. To do so, follow the below steps:

1) Login to your computer through user name on which it show earlier version of Windows.

2) Press Windows key + r.

3) Type winver, hit enter.

For the issue related to start menu, I suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft help article and check,

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ubleshoot-problems-opening-start-menu-cortana

Reply with results and necessary information to help you further.

Thank you.

Krishna Priya V, May 12, 2019
  4. typing anything in Start menu results in nothing

Why can't I click inside Start Menu?

You may also follow these steps to resolve your concern:

• Right-click on Start menu.
    • From the options, select Command Prompt (Admin) by clicking it.
    • Type in Powershell and then press Enter.
    • Copy and paste this on the Powershell application
      Get-appxpackage -all *shellexperience* -packagetype bundle |% {add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode ($_.installlocation + “\appxmetadata\appxbundlemanifest.xml”)}
      and press Enter.
    • Wait for the process to finish, close all of the open windows and check your Start menu if it's working properly.
    Get back to us with the results of the suggested troubleshooting steps.

Kristoffer Abs, May 12, 2019
Thema:

typing anything in Start menu results in nothing

1. typing anything in Start menu results in nothing - Similar Threads - typing anything Start

2. Start menu type to search results window appearance

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu type to search results window appearance: I'm working on a new PC configuration for a touchscreen HMI with no external keyboard with Windows 10 LTSC. This is an hardware upgrade from a previous configuration of Windows 10 LTSB. My problem is when I hit the start button and begin typing example bringing up task...
  3. Start menu type to search results window appearance

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu type to search results window appearance: I'm working on a new PC configuration for a touchscreen HMI with no external keyboard with Windows 10 LTSC. This is an hardware upgrade from a previous configuration of Windows 10 LTSB. My problem is when I hit the start button and begin typing example bringing up task...
  4. Start menu type to search results window appearance

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Tweak start menu search results

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tweak start menu search results: I use search constantly and keep my machine well indexed. Search generally works pretty well, but sometimes the results are very.. counter intuitive. For example, without fail, if I search "Desktop" the Best Match is always Remote Desktop Connection, rather than Desktop which...
  6. Tweak start menu search results

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Tweak start menu search results: I use search constantly and keep my machine well indexed. Search generally works pretty well, but sometimes the results are very.. counter intuitive. For example, without fail, if I search "Desktop" the Best Match is always Remote Desktop Connection, rather than Desktop which...
  7. Windows 10 Start-Up Menu not searching anything i type.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Start-Up Menu not searching anything i type.: Whenever i try to type[ATTACH]and search in start-up menu nothing comes up except blank start menu.I ran "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth && DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth" but it failed after 38% screenshot and log appended for your review. i dont...
  8. Cant type in start menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cant type in start menu: Hello, whenever I start my computer, I can't search anything on the start menu, but when I do C:\Windows\System32\ctfmon.exe on the run thing, it works. Aside from that, I'm seeing problems on my windows such as a lot of apps will just immediately close when I try to open it,...
  9. Can't type in start menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't type in start menu?: After Windows automatically restart to install their amazing new update, I can no longer type in the start menu. I have tried nearly all fixes I have found online, including reinstalling Cortana and running ctfmon.exe, but none of it has worked. This issue only started when...
  10. Can't pin anything to start menu? and start menu search results?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't pin anything to start menu? and start menu search results?: Either the Windows 10 start menu really sucks or I am using it wrong. I am used to the StartisBack/Windows 7 menu where you can pin anything and all applications will come up in search results. In the Windows 10 menu, I can't pin anything to the start menu that's not already...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. typing at start menu does nothing

2. nothing happens when typing in start menu

3. start menu cortana typing