Windows 10: typing in Japanese

Discus and support typing in Japanese in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am new to windows 10. Used to have windows 7 and would type in Japanese with ease. Now I don't understand anything on typing in Japanese. I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JackBarr, Jun 21, 2020.

1. JackBarr Win User

typing in Japanese

I am new to windows 10. Used to have windows 7 and would type in Japanese with ease. Now I don't understand anything on typing in Japanese. I have the icon but very confusing for older people to understand. Is there a different way to download Japanese and type.

:)

JackBarr, Jun 21, 2020
  2. TokyoMike Win User

Switching Japanese Windows with English menus

Yes, I do mean those keys. I tried just switching to Japanese keyboard, as you suggested, but those keys didn't work. Also, the selection key is normally the spacebar in Japan but I could only get IME to work with the Tab key (for those who aren't familiar with Japanese typing: you type in Roman characters, then press a selection key and it steps you through a list of options for the word you are typing in Japanese characters). Did you get the special keys to work as they do in native Japanese mode?

It may well be that I was missing something, although I did try every option I could think of. In any event, as I said, I gave in and now have Japanese Windows running with English menus and everything seems to be working perfectly.
    Thanks,

Mike

TokyoMike, Jun 21, 2020
  3. Japanese typing mode [A] and Japanese typing mode [あ] of Japanese IME don't show up on the bar menu.

Hi Seizen,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We reproduced the issue on our lab machine and we were able to get the Japanese IME with both Japanese typing mode.

As per your screenshot, we see that the English (United States) US keyboard is highlighted in blue. What happen when you select and highlight Japanese Microsoft IME?

What is the KB number of the Windows update installed, prior to this issue? (Settings>Updates & Security>Windows Updates>View update history)

Meanwhile, we would suggest you to perform these methods and let us the status of the issue after every method.

Method 1: Change the Typing settings.

1. Press Windows + I key to launch
      Windows Settings
    2. Select Device and click on
      Typing
      on the left pane
    3. Scroll down and click on Advanced keyboard settings
    4. Click on Language bar option and select the
      Language bar tab.
    5. Select the radio icon beside Docked in the taskbar and check the box beside
      Show text labels on the Language bar.

Method 2: Remove Japanese language.

1. Press Windows + I key to launch
      Windows Settings
    2. Click on Time & Language and select
      Region and Language from the left pane.
    3. Click on Japanese IME under Languages and select
      Remove.
    4. Restart the PC and then repeat step 1 and
    5. Click on the + sign beside
      Add a language
      and then select Japanese to install it back.
    6. Check if the issue persist

Hope it helps.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator.

Aditya_Roy, Jun 21, 2020
  4. typing in Japanese

Japanese Keyboard

Hi Kiyakat,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Let us follow these steps and check if that makes any difference:

Step A: Remove the Language Pack.

1. Click on the Start button, go to Settings > Time & Language > Region &
      Language.
    2. Click on Japanese Language and the click on Remove.

Step B: Re-add the Language pack.

1. Click on the Start button, go to Settings > Time & Language > Region &
      language.
    2. Click on Add a Language >Select the Language (Japanese).
    3. Once added, click on Options button, and select Add Keyboards to select Japanese keyboard.
    Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking ‘Yes’ or ‘No’.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Jun 21, 2020
Thema:

typing in Japanese

1. typing in Japanese - Similar Threads - typing Japanese

2. Windows 11 Japanese Basic Typing + Handwriting not downloading

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Japanese Basic Typing + Handwriting not downloading: Hi,I am using a Surface Pro 7 running on Windows 11 and recently tried adding Japanese to my device's languages. I went through the language & region settings page and added the language as normal, however, it has only been partially downloaded. It has only installed the...
  3. Windows 11 Japanese Basic Typing + Handwriting not downloading

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Japanese Basic Typing + Handwriting not downloading: Hi,I am using a Surface Pro 7 running on Windows 11 and recently tried adding Japanese to my device's languages. I went through the language & region settings page and added the language as normal, however, it has only been partially downloaded. It has only installed the...
  4. Japanese basic typing installed but not IME Keyboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Japanese basic typing installed but not IME Keyboard: Hello everyone,I would like to install Japanese keyboard IMESO I installed the Japanese language, you can find attached the list of languages installed.However, as you can see on the attached second screenshot, Japanese typing method does not appear.This problem does not come...
  5. Japanese basic typing installed but not IME Keyboard

Japanese basic typing installed but not IME Keyboard: Hello everyone,I would like to install Japanese keyboard IMESO I installed the Japanese language, you can find attached the list of languages installed.However, as you can see on the attached second screenshot, Japanese typing method does not appear.This problem does not come...
  6. Japanese Language Pack "Basic Typing" stuck on download, Windows 11 Home

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Japanese Language Pack "Basic Typing" stuck on download, Windows 11 Home: On Windows 10 I was able to type in Japanese but I needed to again now after downloading Windows 11 and realized I had to redownload it. No problem, tried to download basic typing as that is all I need but it keeps getting stuck at this point. I have restarted my computer and...
  7. Japanese Language Pack "Basic Typing" stuck on download, Windows 11 Home

Japanese Language Pack "Basic Typing" stuck on download, Windows 11 Home: On Windows 10 I was able to type in Japanese but I needed to again now after downloading Windows 11 and realized I had to redownload it. No problem, tried to download basic typing as that is all I need but it keeps getting stuck at this point. I have restarted my computer and...
  8. Installed Japanese Keyboard but unable to type in Japanese

Installed Japanese Keyboard but unable to type in Japanese: I've just installed the Japanese keyboard but I'm unable to type in Japanese despite the installation and switching to the keyboard. I've tried using the older version on Microsoft IME, reinstalling the language, restarting my computer after the installation and updating...
  9. Installed Japanese Keyboard but unable to type in Japanese

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installed Japanese Keyboard but unable to type in Japanese: I've just installed the Japanese keyboard but I'm unable to type in Japanese despite the installation and switching to the keyboard. I've tried using the older version on Microsoft IME, reinstalling the language, restarting my computer after the installation and updating...
  10. So Windows 11 is programmed so bad it can't type in Japanese?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    So Windows 11 is programmed so bad it can't type in Japanese?: Yeah I've seen a thread about the problem where the keyboard setting just simply doesn't let you switch to hiragana or katakana input at all. I have same problem....