Windows 10: Typing problem - Suddenly unable to type in most of the input boxes

Discus and support Typing problem - Suddenly unable to type in most of the input boxes in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, Recently, I sometimes cannot type on my laptop all of a sudden. The symptoms are quite specific: 0. Everytime it happened, I was in the middle... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by LuciaL13, Oct 17, 2020.

1. LuciaL13 Win User

Typing problem - Suddenly unable to type in most of the input boxes

Hi,

Recently, I sometimes cannot type on my laptop all of a sudden. The symptoms are quite specific:

0. Everytime it happened, I was in the middle of using the laptop, and it can be solved by restarting the laptop.

1. When I typed in English, it seems that I can still type on webpages Google, but not in the Chrome search bar, file explorer, Microsoft word, etc.

2. Control keys work fine during the whole time, typing keys work fine with control keys. I can use win+r, but cannot type in the "RUN" box.

3. I cannot type Chinese/Japanese anywhere, the best situation was that for some input method, english letters were still coming out.

It happened at least three times. I wonder what this problem is about and how to solve it, thanks!

:)

LuciaL13, Oct 17, 2020

2. Unable to type in to box on 'Control Panel'.

This issue might occur if some file types for indexing were disabled after the updates. We suggest that you try rebuilding your search index by following the steps below:

• Press Windows key + R, type control.exe srchadmin.dll, and click on
      OK.
    • Click on the Advanced button.
    • Click on the File Types tab. From here, you can choose to include certain file types from indexing by checking them in the list.

Let us know how it goes.

Aileen Alf, Oct 17, 2020
  3. Unable to type in to box on 'Control Panel'.

In this case, we suggest that you follow these steps and check if the issue persists:

• Press Windows key + R, type control.exe srchadmin.dll, and click on
      OK.
    • Click on the Advanced button.
    • From the Advanced dialogue box, select Rebuild. Selecting
      Rebuild will begin the process of deleting, and then rebuilding your PC’s search index.

Note: While the steps to initiate the rebuilding process are simple, the actual process can take quite some time depending on how much data Windows has to index.

Keep us updated on the results.

Aileen Alf, Oct 17, 2020
  4. Typing problem - Suddenly unable to type in most of the input boxes

The search box on the Taskbar and in Windows Explorer will not accept any typing input

The search box on the taskbar will not accept any typing input.

Nor will the search box in Windows Explorer.

Normal behavior: Click in the white box where it says "Type here to search", and type.

New, incorrect behavior: Click in the white box where it says "Type here to search", but the box does not accept any input.

Same for the search box in Windows Explorer.

Workarounds: None found so far.

Research: Google - multiple documents, none of which were exact matches. Applied many of the "solutions" suggested, to no avail.

Restarting the computer does not help.

Input into other applications (Word, Excel, Chrome, etc) is usually absolutely fine. Sometimes (about once a week) text typed into the Chrome browser does not reflect the input, e.g. I type "target" and the screen displays "rfotlt". If I retype the input
    into Word, I can copy and paste into the browser. So I have a workaround. Restarting fixes this. (I don't need a solution for this, it is just FYI.)

David K. Dickson, Oct 17, 2020
Thema:

Typing problem - Suddenly unable to type in most of the input boxes

1. Typing problem - Suddenly unable to type in most of the input boxes - Similar Threads - Typing problem Suddenly

2. Unable to to type anything in search box in taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to to type anything in search box in taskbar: Hi,Why i am not able to type anything in Win 10 search box in taskbar. restarted also but doesnt help.Can anyone help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-to-type-anything-in-search-box-in/20a3e6d4-4702-442a-acd7-311a9e43f7d1
  3. Unable to to type anything in search box in taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to to type anything in search box in taskbar: Hi,Why i am not able to type anything in Win 10 search box in taskbar. restarted also but doesnt help.Can anyone help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-to-type-anything-in-search-box-in/20a3e6d4-4702-442a-acd7-311a9e43f7d1
  4. Unable to to type anything in search box in taskbar

in Cortana
  5. Unable to type

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to type: At times, I am unable to type using my keypad. I am using my touchscreen to type this message. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-type/7cafe86b-9466-4fb2-a0ed-e4703ccc199e
  6. unable to type

unable to type: unable to type at, re installed, and then was ok however has since disabled again unable to type in box https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-type/1532d8e7-960f-4a57-873d-4f8a9cb97ed7
  7. Unable to type

Unable to type: I am unable to type on my computer. I'm working from home and am unable to type a email or anything but this question. It asked me something about shortcuts and I hit yes. Now I'm unable to type anywhere. Please Help...
  8. Unable to type in the search box on the taskbar.

in Cortana
    Unable to type in the search box on the taskbar.: After the latest updates I am unable to type in the search box on the taskbar. I have tried all the solutions on the internet. Powershell commands, the ctfmon fix, restarting windows explorer, all of it. No matter what I try, the search box won't respond. The latest updates...
  9. Unable to type in Windows 10 search box

in Cortana
    Unable to type in Windows 10 search box: Hi, I am unable to type into the search box in the task bar of my Windows 10 laptop. Not sure if it's related but there did appear to be some updates applied when I logged off last night. Googling I have found a number of suggestions. So far I have tried the following...
  10. Unable to type in Search box

in Cortana
    Unable to type in Search box: Hi all, I have an office and 3 of my machines are unable to type in the search box, I've come to the conclusion that it is Cortana as on all 3 machines there is no Cortana to be seen. But other machines in the office have Cortana and are able to search I have tried...