Windows 10: Typing search in start menu still goes to Edge

Discus and support Typing search in start menu still goes to Edge in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have set my default browser as Firefox but if I type a search in the start menu it still opens Edge (with Bing). Is there any setting that I can use... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Uplander, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Uplander Win User

Typing search in start menu still goes to Edge

I have set my default browser as Firefox but if I type a search in the start menu it still opens Edge (with Bing).

Is there any setting that I can use to say always use FF even when I do a search?

I have Googled endlessly and all I can find is how to set the defaults.

Many thanks in advance.

:)

Uplander, Dec 13, 2019

2. Searching in Start menu goes to IE instead of default browser (Edge) in Windows 10.

Hi,

To set Microsoft Edge as the default browser app, please follow the steps below:

• Click on the Start menu>Settings>System>Default apps.
    • Choose Web browser then select Microsoft Edge.
    • Close the windows to save.
    Let us know how it goes.

Melowin Mar, Dec 13, 2019
  3. Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Dec 13, 2019
  4. Typing search in start menu still goes to Edge

Searching in Start menu goes to IE instead of default browser (Edge) in Windows 10.

Thank you for updating us. To isolate the issue, please try to temporarily disable Internet Explorer and run another search using Cortana.

Please follow these steps to disable Internet Explorer.

• From the Search box, type Turn Windows features on or off and press the
      enter key. The Windows Features window will pop-up.
    • From there, uncheck Internet Explorer 11.

Once Internet Explorer is disabled, you may start another web search and see if it will open in Microsoft Edge.

You can enable Internet Explorer again from the same Windows Features box.

Let us know how it goes.

JohnRod Nav, Dec 13, 2019
Thema:

Typing search in start menu still goes to Edge

1. Typing search in start menu still goes to Edge - Similar Threads - Typing search start

2. Unable to type in the Start menu to search an app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to type in the Start menu to search an app: I cannot search for anything on the start menu or use the search box in the taskbar. No error messages. I tried using the troubleshooter, sfc, and DISM commands as well. But it didn't work....
  3. Unable to type in the Start menu to search an app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to type in the Start menu to search an app: I cannot search for anything on the start menu or use the search box in the taskbar. No error messages. I tried using the troubleshooter, sfc, and DISM commands as well. But it didn't work....
  4. Can't type in start menu search bar?

in Cortana
    Can't type in start menu search bar?: Today i started facing this issue after i set my system's locale to japan so i could run some software.The language options on the bottom right of the bar disappeared and suddenly I wasn't able to type anything in the search box of the start menu. or the settings. I tried...
  5. Windows Search not showing on full sized Windows Start Menu but still works by typing and...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Search not showing on full sized Windows Start Menu but still works by typing and...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/farxhan [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/luwspt/windows_search_not_showing_on_full_sized_windows/
  6. how to disable "Type to search" in start menu?

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to disable "Type to search" in start menu?: as the title says is there a way to disable "Type to search" in start menu? [ATTACH] else if that can't be done, is there a way to disable task bar to a specific user?...
  7. Start, Cortana,Edge & Search Menu

in Cortana
    Start, Cortana,Edge & Search Menu: Hi, can anyone help me out with this? Start, Cortana, Edge & Search Menu are no longer working correctly after downloading Windows 10 Pro 1903 OS Build 18362.329 32 bitX64 for 86 based systems(KB 4512941) Aug 30 update. I've still got the start button & search bar but it...
  8. TYPING PROBLEM IN MS EDGE, SETTINGS, AND START MENU !

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    TYPING PROBLEM IN MS EDGE, SETTINGS, AND START MENU !: Hello Microsoft, Three days ago, I've formatted my LENOVO laptop with Windows 10 _ 1809 Edition. after a few hours of setting it up, I noticed that my keyboard doesn't work at all in Cortana, Start Menu, Microsoft Edge. In addition of that, the language button is...
  9. Start menu typing search doesn't work

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu typing search doesn't work: I thought I could just type "rege" and get Regedit result right away. No. I need to type the whole name. What's going on? The Windows Search service is running. I disabled Cortana, but that shouldn't matter, should it? 112057
  10. Still no program search support in Start menu search

in Windows 10 Support
    Still no program search support in Start menu search: I'm still having to use Stardock Start10 to use the keyboard to find non-store-app programs. Whenever I use the native Start menu and use the keyboard to enter the non-store-app program name it only finds useless hits among documents and junk (I have Bing disabled otherwise...