Windows 10: UAC for everything unless logged into as admin?

Discus and support UAC for everything unless logged into as admin? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I'm new to windows 10, but am I missing something? I installed windows 10, did all my updates, then created a user account for me. My understanding is... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by JayNW, Nov 13, 2015.

1. JayNW Win User

UAC for everything unless logged into as admin?

I'm new to windows 10, but am I missing something? I installed windows 10, did all my updates, then created a user account for me. My understanding is that it is better to run as a user than to always be logged in as admin day-to-day. But this is frustrating as programs aren't working and I find out that its because they needs admin rights. This morning I logged into my user account and tried to open Quicken for the first time. I get the error message and it appears the program isn't working. I logged in as admin and it works fine. This seems overboard to me. That I cant run quicken unless I'm the admin. There should be a set of trusted programs. Any suggestions? Other than running as admin all the time.

Thanks.

:)

JayNW, Nov 13, 2015
  2. stewart05 Win User

Edge can't start built in admin account... but its not the admin account

I know this topic has been beat to death, but mine seems a bit different.

I have several computers that have upgraded to 10 from 7 that are getting this error about the built in admin account. But NONE of them are logged in as the built in admin account. They are logging in as different users that are members of the admin group,
    but none of them are logged in as "administrator". I have tried EVERYTHING that has been posted about this from the secpol setting, to the different reg keys.

The one thing that I need to point out is that I have to keep UAC disabled, because we are running software on all the PC's that will not run if UAC is turned on.

So UAC is disabled, I'm not logged in as the built in admin account, but I'm still getting these stupid messages.

Anyone have any thoughts on this??

Thanks!

stewart05, Nov 13, 2015
  3. dannyrek Win User
    Store apps are not working

Not usually unless I click an app a lot then it will I don't think I use a proxy how would I know? But not the uac its good. Any other ideas in what it may be? Everything else works and some other apps work. I've already tried uninstalling and reinstalling
    the apps and the command prompt (admin) thing but the apps still won't open unless I'm online only and then they will work perfectly

dannyrek, Nov 13, 2015
  4. UAC for everything unless logged into as admin?

UAC will only prompt if the program requires elevated rights. It is up to the program, really. Are you using an older version of quicken? You say UAC for everything, but are you being literal or dramatic?

If it is UAC for everything, there is a problem we should work to fix. If it is just a single program, than it is that program's fault. UAC is to protect. Standard accounts are also there for security. If you want simplicity but less security, switch to the Admin account (NOT the normally disabled built-in Administrator account).

Another option would be to right-click the program, and select troubleshoot compatibility or run as administrator.

DustSailor, Nov 13, 2015
  5. JayNW Win User
    I guess I'm being somewhat dramatic. I believe what the programs are asking for is admin rights. At least the password to my admin account, the one created by windows upon install. But this is for a lot of programs, not just one. I'm using an Asus Maximus VIII motherboard. All the Asus utilities i want to run as my user ask for my admin password when i start them. Why would quicken need admin rights? Maybe i need to change some setting. Or should i log into windows as admin and set these programs to run at startup? Will that solve that issue?

JayNW, Nov 13, 2015
  6. Mystere Win User
    Actually, no. Your understanding is incorrect.

You are just fine running as an administrator (note: not THE administrator, as in the administrator account), with UAC enabled.

The only people that should be running as a normal user are those you do not trust to perform administrative tasks (like children, or others who aren't technical).

Mystere, Nov 13, 2015
  7. JayNW Win User
    So there is a difference in The Administrator account and adding a user with admin privileges? Security wise I don't know the difference. So I could go into user accounts and change my local user to admin? Is that a sound decision?

JayNW, Nov 13, 2015
  8. Mystere Win User

Yes.

Mystere, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. UAC for everything unless logged into as admin? - Similar Threads - UAC everything unless

2. UAC prompts with QuickAssist, elevated Admin

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    UAC prompts with QuickAssist, elevated Admin: The quick explanation of how to "unblock" UAC prompts on the remote, from the assisting PC, is, from the assisting PC:1 Open cmd.exe non-elevated on the remote computer.2 Execute runas /user:Administrator cmd3 In the resulting elevated prompt, execute all one...
  3. Child account unable to login unless admin is logged in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Child account unable to login unless admin is logged in: Newly built PC. I setup an admin account as the main account me. I then set up a child account with parental-controls. When we boot up the system, trying to select and log in as the child does nothing. I have to log in to the administrator account first, then log out, and...
  4. Child account unable to login unless admin is logged in

Child account unable to login unless admin is logged in: Newly built PC. I setup an admin account as the main account me. I then set up a child account with parental-controls. When we boot up the system, trying to select and log in as the child does nothing. I have to log in to the administrator account first, then log out, and...
  5. UAC not prompting admin credentials

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UAC not prompting admin credentials: Hi everyone, i'm having a problem with uac in my domain, when i'm running softwares installations i'm not getting the option to enter admin credentials when i'm opening the software installation as administrator.Thanks...
  6. UAC not prompting admin credentials

UAC not prompting admin credentials: Hi everyone, i'm having a problem with uac in my domain, when i'm running softwares installations i'm not getting the option to enter admin credentials when i'm opening the software installation as administrator.Thanks...
  7. UAC not prompting admin credentials

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. prioritize Admin accounts list in UAC

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    prioritize Admin accounts list in UAC: I have just created a second admin account, giving me now two in total. I also have my standard user account and when I get a UAC prompt, the new default admin account listed is the just created admin account. Before making the new admin account, I just had the original admin...
  9. UAC icon shield admin

in Windows 10 Customization
    UAC icon shield admin: The number of name in reg is 29 but what is the number of the icon shield admin??, is for change it, thanks. 27551
  10. admin account with UAC, or non-admin account with admin password

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    admin account with UAC, or non-admin account with admin password: On a 2016 tutorial, the teacher said that it was important to create a new user as an administrator, and removing the admin rights of the user that I use all the time. Then, using admin privilege only when necessary, e.g. "run as administrator", and entering the password of...