Windows 10: UAC is consistently turning itself off.

Discus and support UAC is consistently turning itself off. in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; After researching the forums this morning I have decided to post my issue; I am consistently resetting the UAC (image below) and rebooting to allow... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by dmoro, Oct 12, 2015.

1. dmoro Win User

UAC is consistently turning itself off.

After researching the forums this morning I have decided to post my issue;

I am consistently resetting the UAC (image below) and rebooting to allow Edge and Calculator to function as normal.

UAC is consistently turning itself off. [​IMG]

What must be done to keep this setting in its place permanently? Never had this issue with Windows 7 and never had to put the setting in this position either, it just worked. I'm sure I need some education on this for Windows 10.

I have tried to modify (through the registry)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\EnableLUA

Both ways (bit off/on) and nothing works. Maybe I'm not in the right area for this?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

:)

dmoro, Oct 12, 2015

2. This app can't be activated by the Built-in Administrator

I am experiencing the same issue on my win 10 laptop. im my situation the issue is due to UAC. Somehow, something keeps turning off UAC which then causes the built-in admin issues. Check your UAC settings and make sure it is enabled and set to the default
    level. you may be in the same boat as me. now i have to figure out why UAC keeps turning itself off

Tech Shane, Oct 12, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Turns on by itself

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer turns itself on at odd times when no one is near it. There is not consistent time, but it seems it won't stay off for more than a few hours.

How can I stop this without unplugging the computer when I turn it off?

John

jsanford48, Oct 12, 2015
  4. UAC is consistently turning itself off.

You could use a script to turn off/restart a computer, which will apply the setting, so it should be retained, but it is just a workaround, not a solution. The only thing, which could modify it, would be a software running with admin rights or a service, like some optimizer or antivirus and such. Try to temporarily disable all startup apps and restart several times to see, if the issue remains.

Piriform - Managing auto-starting programs

Another possibility is to check for a malware infection: Emsisoft Free Emergency Kit

And the last, but not least, perform SFC scan: SFC Command - Run in Windows 10

TairikuOkami, Oct 12, 2015
  5. azasadny Win User
    I would leave it off as it's useless. Run Windows Defender and Malwarebytes Premium and you won't need this UAC...

azasadny, Oct 18, 2015
  6. Mystere Win User
    It's not useless at all. In fact, you appear to have completely missed his reasons for doing this.

Mystere, Oct 19, 2015
  7. Gary Win User
    I have it shut down, I have never used it, even in Win 7. It is useless.

8. simrick Win User

I have to agree with @Mystere - it is not useless, it is an important function for many people. Advising to turn it off is actually dangerous advice for the majority, and for the OP in particular, as there is obviously an issue with the system which needs to be resolved. The suggestions by @TairikuOkami are recommended.

simrick, Oct 21, 2015
  9. I also am having the same issue. I am on a domain and have been looking at the possibility of it being controlled by GPO .. Are you on a domain as well?

Jmarion063, Nov 5, 2015
  10. MEH
    meh Win User
    I am impressed by the quality of this reply; especially the recognition of the difference between a solution and a workaround. Well done.

I've had UAC turn off two or three times in the few months I've been running Win10. No clue why this is (or was) happening, but I know I do not have a malware issue.

My own workaround--which it seems was not working well all this time--was to create a scheduled task that runs upon system startup, and then every hour thereafter, to set the aforementioned registry value. I have the task set to run as "SYSTEM" with "Run with highest privileges" enabled. The "Program/script" I use is:

Code: C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe[/quote] The "Add arguments (optional)" string I use is:

Code: /c %windir%\System32\reg.exe ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v EnableLUA /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f[/quote] Thanks to this thread, I just found out this was not cutting it. You also need to set the "ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin" and "PromptOnSecureDesktop" values.

In my case, I want maxed UAC settings, so I need to set those to 2 and 1, respectively. In order to effect the UAC settings shown in the first post (i.e. the second-highest setting; "Notify me only when apps try to make changes to my computer (default) ... Don't notify me when I make changes to Windows settings", it's necessary to set those values to 5 and 1, respectively.

This is easily done by adding two more actions to the aforementioned scheduled task to set each of those values. The same "Program/script" as above, with the following "Add arguments (optional)" strings:

Code: /c %windir%\System32\reg.exe ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin /t REG_DWORD /d 5 /f[/quote] Code: /c %windir%\System32\reg.exe ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v PromptOnSecureDesktop /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f[/quote] I just tested this, and it works fine. So UAC may become disabled, but it won't stay that way for long.

I hate resorting to kludges like this, but despite what some people claim, UAC is an important core security function, and I think I'll keep this task in place permanently, even if I find out what was going on to disable it. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks!

11. YOU
    You Win User
    Could perhaps just set the value in the registry and remove the permissions for it from everything?

12. MEH
    meh Win User
    You'd have to effectively deny write permissions on "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" to System. Not something I'm comfortable with doing. Maybe Windows won't throw a fit or BSOD, maybe it would.

13. YOU
    You Win User

Deny write permissions from everything. A program could be changing the value, and denying Admins and Users rights to the value would effectively block it.

14. MEH
    meh Win User
    You'd have to block System as well, since some applications (particularly services) run under the System context. But I'm happy with my existing workaround. I don't trust Windows not to crap itself if it tries writing to something under that key and can't.

Thema:

1. UAC is consistently turning itself off. - Similar Threads - UAC consistently turning

2. Screentime turning turning itself off

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Screentime turning turning itself off: Hi I have screentime setup for my child and randomly the screen time keeps turning itselft off. Often i find why my child has gone over his limit and then when i go and check the usage i see that screen time limits are turned off. i know for a fact that he doens't have the...
  3. Screentime turning turning itself off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screentime turning turning itself off: Hi I have screentime setup for my child and randomly the screen time keeps turning itselft off. Often i find why my child has gone over his limit and then when i go and check the usage i see that screen time limits are turned off. i know for a fact that he doens't have the...
  4. Screentime turning turning itself off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. UAC will not turn off

in Windows 10 Customization
    UAC will not turn off: I want to use colemak. I try to download AutoHotKey to do so, and UAC stops me. I go to control panel and go to UAC settings, but UAC stops me from editing UAC settings. I need help before I flip my table....
  6. Edge not printing when UAC is turned off.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Edge not printing when UAC is turned off.: Whenever I click the "print" option in Edge (non-Chromium), the dialog box never comes up. This is with UAC turned off; when it's on, the box comes up fine. I'm an IT manager at an organization and our PCs are on Windows 10 Enterprise 2004. I'm stumped on what could be...
  7. Defender turned itself off

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defender turned itself off: Split from this thread. Windows defender for windows 8.1 has turned off on my computer and I can not figure out how to turn it back on? It all started when Windows defender showed red then switched to turned off....
  8. Turning off UAC for good

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Turning off UAC for good: Long story short. I am a fire alarm tech. I use different softwares but one cannot open if UAC is on amy setting but Never Notify Me when: and IT is no help as HQ wants it but HQ don't understand it hinders our productivity. Is there a way to keep it at NEVER whenever I use...
  9. Turning off UAC causes Error

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Turning off UAC causes Error: Hello. I always used to have my UAC turned off, and was very happy being able to quickly open up different programs with administrator privileges using the WinKey+R. However, ever since upgrading to windows 10, turning UAC triggers the "This app Can't Open" error...
  10. Laptop Turning itself "off"

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop Turning itself "off": I am running Win 10 on a laptop. I have changed all the power settings to "NEVER" for everything. The laptop is on AC (not battery). No power outages. But when I come back after being away from the laptop for an hour or so. It is in sleep mode (I think) - I have to turn...