Windows 10: UAC security alert about apps accessing public networks

Discus and support UAC security alert about apps accessing public networks in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Sometimes I open a program that wants to use the Internet and then get asked about authorisation to access a network and it's always been kind of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by THX1138, Apr 18, 2019.

1. THX1138 Win User

UAC security alert about apps accessing public networks

Sometimes I open a program that wants to use the Internet and then get asked about authorisation to access a network and it's always been kind of confusing to me. The public network that the program wants to use is called the Internet, right? Why am I being asked about accessing such public networks as those found within airports and cafes? What program would even be interested in accessing a public LAN? It's the WAN most programs want to use, right? Shouldn't it say "Public networks such as the Internet or those in airports and cafes"?

How does Windows know whether a network I'm connected to is at work or a cafe?

UAC security alert about apps accessing public networks [​IMG]

:)

THX1138, Apr 18, 2019

2. Windows firewall security alert. Public networks checked by default?

I upgraded to W10 last week, and I've noticed something regarding the security alert prompt. e.g. this box:

UAC security alert about apps accessing public networks Windows-7-Windows-Firewall-Security-Alert.jpg

The public network check box is checked by default. Is this intentional? I don't typically allow any programs public network access, and in Window 7/8, the box was unchecked, so I typically just hit OK, but now I have to pause every time this prompt comes up.

How can I change this behavior?

chris61986, Apr 18, 2019
  3. Network showing as public

Hi Connor,

By default, the public network location type is assigned to any new networks when they are first connected. A public network is considered to be shared with the world, with no protection between the local computer and any other computer. Therefore,
    the Windows Firewall rules associated with the public profile are the most restrictive.

To change settings from public to private, follow the steps below:

• Open the Locale Security Policy.
    • In the left pane, click/tap on Network List Manager Policies.
    • In the right pane of Network List Manager Policies, double click/tap on your network name
    • Click/tap on the Network Location tab.
    • Under Location type, select Private.
    • Under User permissions, select (dot) User cannot change location.
    • Click/tap on OK, and close Local Security Policy.

Note: You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to change the network location of a network adapter.

Let us know if you have other questions.

Martin Bar, Apr 18, 2019
  4. UAC security alert about apps accessing public networks

Windows firewall security alert. Public networks checked by default?

I found this pretty hilarious. chris61986 is me. Apparently, I asked this question back in 2015 and forgot about it. I had the same question just now and found my old thread.

The accepted answer didn't even bother to read the original question, which is pretty disappointing. Maybe these folks get a bonus by answering as many questions as possible, regardless of the quality. I don't believe the original question was ambiguous.
    (Now to get off my soap box)

Here's the actual cause:

When this dialog comes up, Windows automatically checks the box depending on what kind of network you're connected to. If you're on a "public" network, public will be checked, and the same for "private". My home network was set to "public", so the firewall
    prompt assumed I wanted to allow this.

The confusing thing is what determines whether a network is public or private. When you first connect to a network, these is nothing that asks you whether or not this is a public or private network. Public/private is determined by the answer to the question,

Make this PC discoverable

Allow your PC to be discoverable by other PCs and devices on this network. We recommend turning this on for private networks at home or work, but turning it off for public networks to help keep your stuff safe.

To resolve this, you should turn the above feature on in the trusted network. To do this:

• Open start, and search for "Change Wi-Fi settings"
    • Click the "Manage known networks" link
    • Select the trusted network and click the properties button
    • Tick the checkbox for "Make this PC discoverable"

I'd recommend doing this even if you don't necessarily want to. The Windows Firewall appears to be all or nothing, and enabling an application access on a public network seems to enable it on all public networks.

Treason686, Apr 18, 2019
Thema:

UAC security alert about apps accessing public networks

1. UAC security alert about apps accessing public networks - Similar Threads - UAC security alert

2. security alert

in Windows 10 Gaming
    security alert: today i received a security alert about a recent sign in that might have been suspicious.the date was from June 2021 so what are you talking about? I don't consider that recent, do you. There's nowhere to answer the alert, of course. Am I supposed to remember June 5 2021?...
  3. security alert

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    security alert: today i received a security alert about a recent sign in that might have been suspicious.the date was from June 2021 so what are you talking about? I don't consider that recent, do you. There's nowhere to answer the alert, of course. Am I supposed to remember June 5 2021?...
  4. security alert

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. "Could not access network location %PUBLIC%\Desktop\

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "Could not access network location %PUBLIC%\Desktop\: Whenever i try to download something i get an error saying "Could not access network location %PUBLIC%\Desktop. How do i fix? submitted by /u/Max123543 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hvvphx/could_not_access_network_location_publicdesktop/
  6. Security alert!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Security alert!: Hi, guys. So I woke up this morning, I booted my laptop as usual, only to find that my firewall is turned off, along with my real time Web protection inside of Malwarebytes premium. I'm kinda panicking right now since I can't turn on firewall and real time web protection....
  7. Security question about UAC and Admin aprroval mode

Security question about UAC and Admin aprroval mode: Greetings Ladies and Gentlemen, I use an Administrator account with UAC in default. I was reading about Admin Approval and noticed that it is disabled. Should this be enabled? I noticed when it mentions this Admin Approval it says "Built-In" Administrator and I'm wondering...
  8. Security Alert

Security Alert: I have received a message from Microsoft that says it is a security alert and I am to call Microsoft immediately at a certain number. It then says I will have my computer shut down if I try to exit the page. Is this a scam....
  9. Security Alert

Security Alert: Windows Security Alert. Apple Ends Support for QuickTime for Windows; New Vulnerabilities Announced Urgent Call to Action: Uninstall QuickTime for Windows Today - 47453
  10. Security Alert

in Windows 10 News
    Security Alert: Windows Security Alert. Apple Ends Support for QuickTime for Windows; New Vulnerabilities Announced Urgent Call to Action: Uninstall QuickTime for Windows Today - 47451