Windows 10: UAC & standard users with additional privileges

Discus and support UAC & standard users with additional privileges in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I am using windows 10, version 1909 I am new to tenforums. I am also new to Windows 10. I am in the process of switching from Windows 7 to Windows 10.... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by gvannucci, Feb 12, 2020.

1. gvannucci Win User

UAC & standard users with additional privileges

I am using windows 10, version 1909

I am new to tenforums. I am also new to Windows 10. I am in the process of switching from Windows 7 to Windows 10.
    I joined tenforums because I have a problem with configuring Windows 10 that I am unable to solve on my own. Perhaps someone can help me.

On my computer, I follow the recommended practice of having a standard user ID for everyday work, and another user ID with administrative privileges to be used only when necessary.

My computer is physically connected to three different networks through two Ethernet ports and one WiFi adapter. For my work, I need to frequently (every few minutes) switch from one network to another.

In Windows 7, I gave my standard user ID additional privileges by making it a member of the group called "Network Configuration Operators". That allowed me to enable and disable network adapters as needed without having to enter an administrator's password every time. In Windows 10, I tried the same configuration, but the OS still prompts for a password every time. It's true that it does not require an administrator's password, as it accepts the password of the standard user ID that is a member of the "Network Configuration Operators" group, but it's very inconvenient to have to enter a password twice every time I want to disable one network adapter and enable another one.

From what I understand, the OS uses the standard-user token by default when executing a command, and elevates the command when additional privileges are needed. For administrators, I can set the User Access Control (UAC) slider all the way down to the "Never notify" option, and that makes elevation occur silently. But the system does not allow me to select the lowest UAC settings for a standard user, even though I entered an administrator's password when prompted.

Through Google searches, I found that, at least in Windows Vista, there seemed to be a policy called "consent policy" that might make the system silently elevate a command for a standard user with additional privileges. But I have not been able to find anything like that in Windows 10.

Basically, I would like to place a shortcut on my desktop that I can click to enable/disable a network adapter as needed without requiring a password every time. In Windows 7, I just created a shortcut to the adapter icon, and I could right-click it to enable or disable the adapter. No password was required as long as the user was a member of the "Network Configuration Operators" group. In Windows 10, it seems that the command needs to be explicitly designated to run with the RunAsHighest designation. But I can't figure out how to accomplish that.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance for any help that you might provide.

:)

gvannucci, Feb 12, 2020
  2. E-one Win User
    Is there still reason to use standard user account in Windows OS?

Hi all!

Suppose I'm the only user of the computer. Suppose I have User Account Control activated. Is there or are there still reasons to create and use standard user account for everyday work? As far as I understand, with User Account Control active I have the permissions of a standard user even if I'm logged on as an administrator. If I use administrator account for everyday work does User Account Control give me EXACTLY the same level of protection from viruses and malware and from making accidental system-wide changes as standard user account with active UAC? I don't imply that UAC protects me from viruses and malware. I use proper antivirus software for that.

In other words, do I get the same level of protection when I use administrator account with UAC enabled and when I use standard account with UAC enabled? Is it true that UAC turns an administrator account into what is know as a protected administrator account, basically, an administrator account that runs with standard user account privileges? Or does standard user account with UAC enabled gives me yet higher level of protection over administrator account with UAC enabled?

E-one, Feb 12, 2020
  3. dskrobow Win User

Bypass UAC with Task Scheduler for Standard User Account

Hello, I'm trying to accomplish something that I haven't had success with yet.

I'm trying to automatically launch Skype in a standard user account. When Skype automatically updates itself, however, it prompts UAC, preventing it from launching unless an administrator password is entered. I want to bypass UAC so that Skype will automatically
    launch, even when updating itself, within the standard user account.

I've tried to get this to work through task scheduler. Under General --> Security options in the task that I create, I use an administrator account to run the task, select "Run whether user is logged in or not," and select "Run with highest privileges."
    When I try to run the task though, Skype doesn't launch (Right now, Skype needs to complete an auto-update. When I try to launch it normally, using the start menu, I receive a UAC prompt. I've left it un-updated so that I can test my method.).

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

dskrobow, Feb 12, 2020
Thema:

1. UAC & standard users with additional privileges - Similar Threads - UAC standard users

2. UAC thinks standard user account is an Admin

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    UAC thinks standard user account is an Admin: In our domain, user accounts are not Admins and Admin accounts have no access to the internet. Brilliant right? Except it makes it troublesome to install that software that requires both Admin rights AND internet access with the same account. My work-around for this has been...
  3. Is it possible to remove UAC by using standard user account ?!

Is it possible to remove UAC by using standard user account ?!: i want to ask that becouse my father blocked my user acc from his admin accwhich password i dont know to installing things, so..... i want to know is their a possible way to do remove this from a user acc. Tnx in advance POV: Sry for my grammar, but im not english....
  4. Privileged Functionality as a Standard User?

Privileged Functionality as a Standard User?: I have performed an initial logon as a standard user. When I check my info under Windows Settings it indicates I am an administrator. I no longer have to authenticate to perform privileged functions. I want to be able to logon as standard user and authenticate to execute...
  5. Security practice - standard and admin - UAC

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Security practice - standard and admin - UAC: Hi, It is a good security practice to have standard account as primary account and only use admin account when elevated access needed. Is this the same as when i just turn on “maximum” notifications through UAC. This means i get prompt/notification when: - Application...
  6. Forcing a program to run with standard privileges?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Forcing a program to run with standard privileges?: I have a program that has the elevated shield on its icon but when I run it, I get a window that says Setup should not initially be run elevated. Run setup with standard privileges; it will elevate if needed. I'm logged in as a user with Administrator rights. That's not...
  7. Forcing a program to run with standard privileges?

in Windows 10 Support
    Forcing a program to run with standard privileges?: I have a program that has the elevated shield on its icon but when I run it, I get a window that says Setup should not initially be run elevated. Run setup with standard privileges; it will elevate if needed. I'm logged in as a user with Administrator rights. That's not...
  8. shortcut w/admin privileges for standard user

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    shortcut w/admin privileges for standard user: Hello, I've just cleaned up a massive malware infection on my grandson's computer (HP Pavilion notebook) and upgraded it to Win 10 from its native Win 8. His account is a standard user vs admin. Everything's working fine. EXCEPT, he plays an online game which requires an...
  9. Change UAC prompt Behavior for Standard Users in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change UAC prompt Behavior for Standard Users in Windows: How to: Change UAC prompt Behavior for Standard Users in Windows How to Change User Account Control (UAC) prompt Behavior for Standard Users in Windows When administrator account before starting a program or task that requires a full administrator access token. This...
  10. Hide or Show Administrators in UAC for Standard Users in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hide or Show Administrators in UAC for Standard Users in Windows: How to: Hide or Show Administrators in UAC for Standard Users in Windows How to Hide or Show Administrators in UAC prompt for Standard Users in Windows When administrator account before starting a program or task that requires a full administrator access token. This...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. task shortcut bypass uac standard account