Windows 10: UAC thinks standard user account is an Admin

Discus and support UAC thinks standard user account is an Admin in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; In our domain, user accounts are not Admins and Admin accounts have no access to the internet. Brilliant right? Except it makes it troublesome to... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by wcass, Mar 29, 2021.

1. wcass Win User

UAC thinks standard user account is an Admin

In our domain, user accounts are not Admins and Admin accounts have no access to the internet. Brilliant right? Except it makes it troublesome to install that software that requires both Admin rights AND internet access with the same account. My work-around for this has been to use an Admin account to temporarily elevate the user account to an Admin - but I noticed that this creates a new problem.

After elevating a "standard" user to Administrators group and then bringing them down, some applications now pop up UAC when not expected - REGEDIT.EXE and TASKMGR.EXE for example. Also, any request to elevate or "Run as Administrator" pops up the UAC expected, but the user account is pre-populated with the standard user account which remember is NOT an Administrator so I have to click on "More choices" > "Use a different account" to get to the "correct" UAC dialog.

It seems like something somewhere still thinks the current user is still an Administrator. How do I correct this? What can I do to recover "standard" UAC elevation dialogs?

:)

wcass, Mar 29, 2021
  2. Jizzler Win User

Is there still reason to use standard user account in Windows OS?

Same deal here. UAC on, my account is admin, the rest are standard.

Jizzler, Mar 29, 2021
  3. Bree Win User
    Admin accounts

Yes.

An admin, if they try to browse the user folder of any other user (standard or admin) will be told they don't have access, but will be offered permanent access if they wish by clicking Continue. You won't accidentally stumble across her files, but you could look for them if you were determined. Can she trust you (or can you trust yourself) not to click Continue?

UAC thinks standard user account is an Admin [​IMG]

Even signed in as an admin, most of the time you are running processes or apps as a standard user anyway. Only when you try to do something that requires admin rights will you be asked (as in the folder example above) if you want to use your admin privileges. The 'harm' would be if you click 'Yes' on a UAC prompt before taking the time to think about what it is that you'd be allowing to run.

4. E-one Win User

Is there still reason to use standard user account in Windows OS?

Hi all!

Suppose I'm the only user of the computer. Suppose I have User Account Control activated. Is there or are there still reasons to create and use standard user account for everyday work? As far as I understand, with User Account Control active I have the permissions of a standard user even if I'm logged on as an administrator. If I use administrator account for everyday work does User Account Control give me EXACTLY the same level of protection from viruses and malware and from making accidental system-wide changes as standard user account with active UAC? I don't imply that UAC protects me from viruses and malware. I use proper antivirus software for that.

In other words, do I get the same level of protection when I use administrator account with UAC enabled and when I use standard account with UAC enabled? Is it true that UAC turns an administrator account into what is know as a protected administrator account, basically, an administrator account that runs with standard user account privileges? Or does standard user account with UAC enabled gives me yet higher level of protection over administrator account with UAC enabled?

E-one, Mar 29, 2021
Thema:

1. UAC thinks standard user account is an Admin - Similar Threads - UAC thinks standard

2. Is it possible to remove UAC by using standard user account ?!

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is it possible to remove UAC by using standard user account ?!: i want to ask that becouse my father blocked my user acc from his admin accwhich password i dont know to installing things, so..... i want to know is their a possible way to do remove this from a user acc. Tnx in advance POV: Sry for my grammar, but im not english....
  3. Admin + User account? Or admin + always notify UAC + password prompt?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Admin + User account? Or admin + always notify UAC + password prompt?: Seems like the recommendation is to use a user account when logging to leaving the admin account to make changes to the computer. However, if the UAC (user access control) is set to always notify and the registry is set to always require a password. Does this fulfil the same...
  4. Security practice - standard and admin - UAC

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Security practice - standard and admin - UAC: Hi, It is a good security practice to have standard account as primary account and only use admin account when elevated access needed. Is this the same as when i just turn on “maximum” notifications through UAC. This means i get prompt/notification when: - Application...
  5. Reset Admin password on a standard user account??

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Reset Admin password on a standard user account??: I bought a refurbished computer for my employer. It had a ADMIN account set up with no pass word associated with the account so I created one. I might have had a error in my pass word because I can no longer log into that account. I did create another account that I was...
  6. UAC & standard users with additional privileges

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    UAC & standard users with additional privileges: I am using windows 10, version 1909 I am new to tenforums. I am also new to Windows 10. I am in the process of switching from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I joined tenforums because I have a problem with configuring Windows 10 that I am unable to solve on my own. Perhaps someone...
  7. About accounts: Admin/Standard user?

About accounts: Admin/Standard user?: I just did a clean install of W10 for a friend. I havent set up a fresh install of 10 and am familar with the structure of accounts in W7> So. Clarify for me the "rights" of accounts(that i set up) in W10 Do they have adminstrator rights? Plan was to set up and Admin account...
  8. Admin Password with Standard User

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Admin Password with Standard User: I don't know the admin password and I have a standard account! Can someone please help me?????????????!!!!!!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/admin-password-with-standard-user/69ab0540-cab7-4199-b339-04cb7d920478
  9. admin account with UAC, or non-admin account with admin password

admin account with UAC, or non-admin account with admin password: On a 2016 tutorial, the teacher said that it was important to create a new user as an administrator, and removing the admin rights of the user that I use all the time. Then, using admin privilege only when necessary, e.g. "run as administrator", and entering the password of...
  10. Downgrading from a local Admin Account to a Standard User Account?

Downgrading from a local Admin Account to a Standard User Account?: After reinstalling Windows 10, I created a local Admin user account just enough for me to install some apps and set things up. After that, I created another local Admin account. Now, I need to downgrade my current Admin account (which I created during setup) to a Standard...