Windows 10: UBISOFT Chessmaster Grandmaster

Discus and support UBISOFT Chessmaster Grandmaster in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I purchased UBISoft Chessmaster Grandmaster Edition some time ago and used to install and work in Windows 10, but I've been unable to install the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by StewartByrne, Aug 22, 2019.

1. UBISOFT Chessmaster Grandmaster

I purchased UBISoft Chessmaster Grandmaster Edition some time ago and used to install and work in Windows 10, but I've been unable to install the program back onto my laptop.

I suspect it due to the many updates that may have caused these issues.

I tried using the capability mode, but the same error message appears saying insert the disc when it's already inserted.

I have disabled all the current programs, which still doesn't help.

Any suggestions?

:)

StewartByrne, Aug 22, 2019

2. Chessmaster Grandmaster Edition - Ubisoft

I had the exact same issue as you've described it. In my case, the game worked fine for awhile after I upgraded to Windows 10, but somewhere along the way, after an update I'm assuming?, the problem you described came into existence.

So, in order to pin down the problem, I opened "Task Manager," and while I 'played' the game, I watched for any processes with unusually heavy CPU usage. What I found was that, when the "TIME CONTROLS" lagged and disappeared from the screen, Windows' "Antimalware
    Service Executable" and its sub-processes would spike in CPU usage. Like a 30-40% increase. Once the CPU spike subsided to "normal" levels, I would once again could make a move in the game. Likewise, the game clock would be back on the screen and running normally.

Anyway, armed with the knowledge that there was a conflict with 'Windows Defender,' I took the shotgun approach and added a bunch of "process" exclusions on all the Chessmaster executables found typically in this location:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Chessmaster Grandmaster Edition\

The executable names are:

Chessmaster.exe

game.exe

gu.exe

TheKing333.exe

TheKing350.exe

TheKing350_64.exe

To make these exclusions, you need to go to "Windows Defender Security Settings" -> "Virus & threat protection" -> "Virus & threat protection settings" -> "Exclusions" -> "Add or remove exclusions" -> "Add an exclusion" -> "Process" ->
    and from there add the full path to the executable. Example:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Chessmaster Grandmaster Edition\Chessmaster.exe or

C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Chessmaster Grandmaster Edition\game.exe

I, also, "allow an app..." all of these executables listed above in "Windows Defender Firewall."

You can find all of that under: "Control Panel" -> "Windows Defender Firewall" -> "Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall" -> "Change settings" -> "Allow another app..." -> "Browse" ->
    -select the executable from the list above- -> -click- "Open" ->
    then "Add"

From there, you can check public and private, as well.

So, yeah, I took a lazy shotgun approach to the problem, but it worked. The game runs as normal, now.

I'm sure you could narrow down the problem to a single executable, I'm thinking maybe just game.exe? Then, you would only to make one process exclusion or firewall exception, and maybe not even both of those are needed, as well? I'm too lazy to do of that,
    so yeah, shotgun approach.

Just remember, the more exclusions you make, whether to the firewall or the anti-malware software, the more your computer is at risk to exploits.

I hope that helps!

Oh...

PS - It, also, never hurts to run Chessmaster as "Administrator" when you play. Of course, that is -right click- on the Chessmaster icon and -left click- "Run as administrator".

BobbinWeave, Aug 22, 2019
  3. alfim01 Win User
    Chessmaster Grandmaster Edition - Ubisoft

I have been using Chessmaster-Grandmaster Edition for close to 10 years, and found it to be one of the best chess games that I tried.

Unfortunately, after updating to Windows 10, Chessmaster is no longer working properly:

Login, graphics, and sound seem to be working correctly, but the TIME CONTROLS ARE NOT! The time lapse between a mouse click and the actual board move is exceedingly long. Same comments apply to the game data base update.

I realize that this is a relatively old application, but it worked well for years.

I uninstalled and reinstalled it, I tried to see if the compatibility for older versions would work (Vista, Windows 7 etc…) but the symptoms persist.

Is there a recommended solution?

alfim01, Aug 22, 2019
  4. alfim01 Win User

UBISOFT Chessmaster Grandmaster

Chessmaster Grandmaster Edition - Ubisoft

Hello Andre and thank you for your suggestion!

Having read the procedure, it seems to be a logical solution.

Since the procedure is fairly complex, I will hold trying it until I receive an answer from Ubisoft as well – in the hope that there may be a simple patch available from them

Thank you again

alfim01, Aug 22, 2019
Thema:

UBISOFT Chessmaster Grandmaster

1. UBISOFT Chessmaster Grandmaster - Similar Threads - UBISOFT Chessmaster Grandmaster

2. Freecell Diamond Grandmaster

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Freecell Diamond Grandmaster: I'm at 575 Diamond Grandmaster 16. How high does it go? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/freecell-diamond-grandmaster/997ae765-579f-480f-988d-9e5e46abf187
  3. Freecell Diamond Grandmaster

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Freecell Diamond Grandmaster: I'm at 575 Diamond Grandmaster 16. How high does it go? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/freecell-diamond-grandmaster/997ae765-579f-480f-988d-9e5e46abf187
  4. Freecell Diamond Grandmaster

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
  5. Grandmaster Titles

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Grandmaster Titles: I assumed that part of the Grandmaster title in FreeCell was based on the percent of win/loss. Is it simply the number of games played? Or does the win ratio play a part in achieving the title?...
  6. grandmaster levels

in Windows 10 Gaming
    grandmaster levels: Are grandmaster levels winnable? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/grandmaster-levels/e1664418-f0ac-406b-ba9d-3fa2a5893ce6
  7. Soveable grandmaster games?

Soveable grandmaster games?: I am playing Kondike Grand Master and using undo button to solve each puzzle. Are all the games solveable this way? I am stuck on one that seems unsolvable https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/soveable-grandmaster-games/40cc2606-758e-4339-bcea-931611bc6ed2
  8. Chessmaster 3000 on Windows 10

Chessmaster 3000 on Windows 10: NOTE: This discussion applies to a 32-bit version of Windows 10 only! Because of copy protection, Chessmaster 3000 does not install, nor are you able to play Chessmaster 3000 on Windows 10....
  9. Steep free on Ubisoft!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Steep free on Ubisoft!: Steep free Sign up to get your free copy of Steep you'll be able to play anytime! You can claim the game from May 16th at 03:00 pm to May 22nd at 12:00 am (your local time). [img] 132702
  10. ChessMaster 10 on Windows Ten?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ChessMaster 10 on Windows Ten?: I use to play ChessMaster 10 edition on XP, but it won't play on Windows Ten. This is a clean install. I uninstalled, and reinstalled. I also went to the UbiSoft website and tried to follow the recommendations, but couldn't understand how to know if a patch was successfully...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ubisoft chessmaster grandmaster

2. chestmaster grandmarter edition on ebay