Windows 10: Ubuntu 18.04 Under Hypervisor: No USB Flash Drive Support After Rebuid

Discus and support Ubuntu 18.04 Under Hypervisor: No USB Flash Drive Support After Rebuid in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I recently had to roll back to a working drive image because of a botched RAM upgrade corrupting Windows 10. I was running Ubuntu 18.04 successfully... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by M A Weiss, Sep 26, 2019.

1. M A Weiss Win User

Ubuntu 18.04 Under Hypervisor: No USB Flash Drive Support After Rebuid

I recently had to roll back to a working drive image because of a botched RAM upgrade corrupting Windows 10.

I was running Ubuntu 18.04 successfully under Hypervisor, with daily use of USB thumb drives appearing under Shared Devices as letter J: .

However, after re imaging my system to the July image (a good working image) Ubuntu would no longer start and so I deleted it and used Quick Create again to build a new Ubuntu VM. Everything went as usual during the setup, except that it will no longer mount USB flash drives.

The "Disks" application under Ubuntu doesn't see anything but the virtual hard disk it's installed on.

I don't recall doing anything special during the relatively automatic installation process in order to make USB drives visible, so I'm totally baffled by this problem and have been researching and working on it since mid-August. But it seems that even the LINUX folks are finding it baffling that the OS cannot access the flash drives.

I'm thinking it's some obscure setting in Hypervisor that didn't get set properly this time around, thus making USB off limits to the VM, but I've been over the settings at least 40 times in the past month and cannot figure out what's different this time around.

Anyone with a working Ubuntu VM care to share the settings for the Hypervisor?

:)

M A Weiss, Sep 26, 2019
  2. M A Weiss Win User

Ubuntu 19.04 Under Hypervisor: No USB Thumb Drive Support?

Okay.. It was a little tricky, because I cannot type in the feedback fields--it turns my Wacom stylus into a writing pen and I must hand write my feedback instead of typing, but I managed to get my question posted under the following:

"Ubuntu 19.04 Under Hypervisor, no USB Thumb Drive Support"

Thanks for your help!

M A Weiss, Sep 26, 2019
  3. M A Weiss Win User
    Ubuntu 19.04 Under Hypervisor: No USB Thumb Drive Support?

I recently had to roll back to a working drive image because of a botched RAM upgrade corrupting Windows 10.

However, after restoring, I find that my Ubuntu 18.04 would not start, so I eventually used Quick Create and downloaded 19.04 and set it up.

However, unlike my 18.04 installation, 19.04 does not recognize USB media. In fact, in the preferences menu, there's no options to configure USB media, there's only CD ROM and video disc options.

Did they drop support for USB thumb drives in 19.04? Should I installed 18.04 to get USB support back?

M A Weiss, Sep 26, 2019
  4. zbook Win User

install.wim is 7GB, how to make a bootable USB flash drive

This is a method to make a ntfs flash drive.

The trial and error step will be booting using Legacy BIOS...

Code:
    This is the link:
    Guide: How to Format USB Flash Drive Using Cmd - EaseUS

The link did not use active so that is why it is a trial and error step.

zbook, Sep 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Ubuntu 18.04 Under Hypervisor: No USB Flash Drive Support After Rebuid - Similar Threads - Ubuntu Under Hypervisor

2. USB flash drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB flash drive: Hello, I just purchased a PNY USB flash drive. After connecting it to my PC, I noticed there is 34mb of unallocated space on it. Can anyone explain the reason for this? Please see screen shot below. If I want to allocate this 34mb space and make the USB flash drive have one...
  3. USB flash drive

in Windows 10 Support
    USB flash drive: Hello, I just purchased a PNY USB flash drive. After connecting it to my PC, I noticed there is 34mb of unallocated space on it. Can anyone explain the reason for this? Please see screen shot below. If I want to allocate this 34mb space and make the USB flash drive have one...
  4. Repair USB Flash Drive - Cordial Request for Support.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Repair USB Flash Drive - Cordial Request for Support.: Hi I have a crash of my USB USB Usb Stick. Please write me what tool I have to fix this USB flash drive 4 GB - to start working correctly?[ATTACH] The disk is write-protected....
  5. After the latest update removing support for 04/18 my second monitor is not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    After the latest update removing support for 04/18 my second monitor is not working: Windows latest update to 1903 is causing the HDMI port to be not detected. I have removed installed drivers etc to get the correct Intel driver. Still nothing I rolled back to my previous build and second monitor working again. So it now appears that microsoft have...
  6. usb flash drive

usb flash drive: I am using windows 10. My usb flash drive does not show in disk manage but only intermittently. Often to make matters worse it freezes my mouse when I have the flash drive plugged in. Also it wont let my computer shut down when the flash drive is plugged in. So far I have...
  7. No hypervisor was found, Please enable hypervisor support

in Windows 10 News
    No hypervisor was found, Please enable hypervisor support: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Users have reported that while trying to launch the Sandbox feature in Windows 10, they encounter the error No hypervisor was found, Please enable hypervisor support. This prevents them from using the Sandbox feature. No hypervisor was found, Please enable...
  8. USB flash drive

USB flash drive: usually, when I insert a cd/dvd in my laptop, it usually asks how I want to use it, and gives 2 options: like a USB flash drive or with CD/DVD drive. I just need to see and read what's in it. which option is appropriate?...
  9. INSTALL UBUNTU 18.O4

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    INSTALL UBUNTU 18.O4: WHAT DO I HAVE TO KNOW TO INSTALL UBUNTU 18.04 WITH WINDOWS 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_tools/install-ubuntu-18o4/e2757bc7-3571-4e3f-b49b-53eb48fb9e7c
  10. Hypervisors and Motherboard Support

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hypervisors and Motherboard Support: I am building a new server at home that will be a hypervisor, most likely Hyper-V Server 2016. There's a chance I'll run ESXi 6.0, but for now, it will likely be the Microsoft equivalent. I have two potential boards that I'll pair with my i7-2600 and the 32 GB of memory I...