Windows 10: Ubuntu now in the Windows Store

Discus and support Ubuntu now in the Windows Store in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Ok, now this is where and why it gets interesting. Soon (later this month I'm told) we will be able to have n number of native Linux distros on our... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Mystere, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Mystere Win User

Ubuntu now in the Windows Store

See more: Ubuntu now in the Windows Store: Updates to Linux on Windows 10 and Important Tips - Scott Hanselman

See also: How to Enable or Disable Bash on Ubuntu in Windows 10

Mystere, Jul 10, 2017
  2. Fafhrd Win User

Ubuntu now in the Windows Store [​IMG]

Ubuntu is there! I found Suse there once - now I cannot, neither can I find Fedora - what is it with the Store search?

:)

Fafhrd, Jul 10, 2017
  3. bash on ubuntu on windows missing

You can install Ubuntu directly from the Windows Store now.

Just open the Windows Store app on your Taskbar

Search for Ubuntu and you should see the option to install it.

Andre Da Costa, Jul 10, 2017
  4. Ubuntu now in the Windows Store

Ubuntu on windows

I have just downloaded Ubuntu from windows store and earlier I downloaded it from command prompt which was bash on ubuntu on windows. Is there is any difference between them other than scroll bar which is available in ubuntu from windows store?

Shashank1997, Jul 10, 2017
  5. Mystere Win User
    I think the previous versions were some other technology, not the new Linux Subsystem.

Mystere, Jul 10, 2017
  6. Tony K Win User
    Thanks for posting this, @Mystere. Who'd of ever thought this would come about?

Tony K, Jul 13, 2017
  7. Trust_No1 Win User
    I don't get it.
    All it does is allow you to run terminal commands, but not Ubuntu OS? or do you use terminal to download and install?

Trust_No1, Jul 13, 2017
  8. roy111 Win User

It is the command line interface, without the desktop environment, so you can use
    e.g. bash in windows, or ssh etc ... it seems it's for admins more comfortable with unix like tools

roy111, Jul 13, 2017
  9. Trust_No1 Win User
    Well isn't that presish..

So let me get this right, they will discontinue something like Windows Media Center, that still has about 60 million users and support something like this that has how many users? Just how many people actually use this Ubuntu tool I wonder?

Trust_No1, Jul 13, 2017
  10. roy111 Win User
    It is supported by Canonical, and Canonical has nothing to do with Media Center, it's not like microsoft is
    hijacking resources to support ubuntu shell instead of media center, i think it has more to do with Azure cloud service running on Canonical server or something like that (just a guess)

roy111, Jul 13, 2017
  11. Tony K Win User
    Many IT pros and geeks will use it I would imagine. Other Linux flavors to come they say.

Like any company, if a product is a looser they will drop it. I'm thinking most people only used WMP for playing movie disks rather than streaming services. Yes, it was nice to use as a home center, but MS was attempting to break into a highly competitive entertainment market, which I would guess failed with WMP.

Anywho, it's been replaced with Movies & TV Store app. Much better app IMO. Check it out.

Tony K, Jul 13, 2017
  12. Trust_No1 Win User
    Like any company, if a product is a looser they will drop it. I'm thinking most people only used WMP for playing movie disks rather than streaming services. Yes, it was nice to use as a home center, but MS was attempting to break into a highly competitive entertainment market, which I would guess failed with WMP.

That app doesn't support VOB formats, typical DVDs. It also doesn't support LiveTV. Media Center is the only software that suppoorts DRM channels.

I think WMC biggest problem was that it was years ahead of it's time (like 10 or more). People didn't understand it. You needed TV tuners and there were none available for cablecards until just a few years back.

Trust_No1, Jul 13, 2017
  13. pparks1 Win User

First and foremost, it's a tool used by sysadmins, but more importantly, DEVELOPERS. If you work in corporate America, and you look around, you will find a ton of developers, architects, cloud engineers and the like all developing their software, even for Windows, on a Mac. Why??? Partly because it's Unix like underneath, and the toolset fits their development needs perfectly. I work for a very large organization that is always in the top list of tech companies to work for, and the vast majority of development here works on a MacBook Pro.

Before we had Bash for Windows, we used Cygwin tools on Windows (Cygwin). This allowed a unix like environment on Windows hosts.

Microsoft finally saw this as an area where they could increase the appeal of their OS out of the box and I for one am extremely happy to see these tools added. But then again, I'm a Windows and Linux systems engineer.

These tools aren't intended as much for the home hobbyist or gamer. But it's extremely important to the ecosystem that they have been added to Windows.

pparks1, Jul 13, 2017
  14. Mystere Win User
    Mystere, Jul 14, 2017
  15. lvgandhi Win User
    I think this thread should be in insider instead of general.

lvgandhi, Jul 14, 2017
Thema:

1. Ubuntu now in the Windows Store - Similar Threads - Ubuntu Store

2. Software Required : Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS Source : Microsoft Store. Error : Code: 0x80080204

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Software Required : Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS Source : Microsoft Store. Error : Code: 0x80080204: Hi All,Trying to install Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS from Microsoft Store but getting Error : Code: 0x80080204. Disabled and uninstall all Security software but still same error....
  3. Software Required : Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS Source : Microsoft Store. Error : Code: 0x80080204

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Software Required : Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS Source : Microsoft Store. Error : Code: 0x80080204: Hi All,Trying to install Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS from Microsoft Store but getting Error : Code: 0x80080204. Disabled and uninstall all Security software but still same error....
  4. Software Required : Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS Source : Microsoft Store. Error : Code: 0x80080204

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Why can't I switch my Ubuntu 20.04 from WSL 1 to WSL 2? I cannot use MS Store.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't I switch my Ubuntu 20.04 from WSL 1 to WSL 2? I cannot use MS Store.: I'm getting tired of trying for 2 hours now.I've tried wsl --set-version Ubuntu 2 more times than I'd like to admit out of boredom, and anger. When I do that command, all it does is spit out every other command in the PowerShell thing. Please help....
  6. Why can't I switch my Ubuntu 20.04 from WSL 1 to WSL 2? I cannot use MS Store.

Why can't I switch my Ubuntu 20.04 from WSL 1 to WSL 2? I cannot use MS Store.: I'm getting tired of trying for 2 hours now.I've tried wsl --set-version Ubuntu 2 more times than I'd like to admit out of boredom, and anger. When I do that command, all it does is spit out every other command in the PowerShell thing. Please help....
  7. Why can't I switch my Ubuntu 20.04 from WSL 1 to WSL 2? I cannot use MS Store.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Why Microsoft Store not installing Ubuntu 22.04 LTS on my Windows 10 PC?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Why Microsoft Store not installing Ubuntu 22.04 LTS on my Windows 10 PC?: Hello community, I'm trying to install Ubuntu 22.04 LTS on my Windows 10 Enterprise PC, but so far it's not working. It starts installing and then stops abruptly. I'm a developer and I need to use Bash since I'm more comfortable and understand it better than the inbuilt...
  9. Why Microsoft Store not installing Ubuntu 22.04 LTS on my Windows 10 PC?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why Microsoft Store not installing Ubuntu 22.04 LTS on my Windows 10 PC?: Hello community, I'm trying to install Ubuntu 22.04 LTS on my Windows 10 Enterprise PC, but so far it's not working. It starts installing and then stops abruptly. I'm a developer and I need to use Bash since I'm more comfortable and understand it better than the inbuilt...
  10. Why Microsoft Store not installing Ubuntu 22.04 LTS on my Windows 10 PC?