Windows 10: Ubuntu on Windows 10 1809 can't do "apt update" even connected to internet

Discus and support Ubuntu on Windows 10 1809 can't do "apt update" even connected to internet in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I Have been using the Ubuntu app from the Microsoft store since Windows 10 version 1803 and installed a couple of packages (but I seldom get into the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ckykenken, Oct 7, 2018.

1. ckykenken Win User

Ubuntu on Windows 10 1809 can't do "apt update" even connected to internet

I Have been using the Ubuntu app from the Microsoft store since Windows 10 version 1803 and installed a couple of packages (but I seldom get into the app) but now, I updated to version 1809, when I tried to do "apt update" in the app, it cannot fetch the packages even it is connected to the internet. Tried to reinstall the app, disabled and re-enabled WSL feature in the control panel, disabled antivirus, no luck.

:)

ckykenken, Oct 7, 2018

2. bash apt-get fails to connect to ubuntu same when using aptitude

When I was trying to install "git" in bash, it always had a problem connecting to ubuntu's servers. Yes I have internet, Yes I can browse using a browser. I can pull up webpages I've never been to. I can ping an ip address etc etc etc. I also went directly
    to the file it was attempting to download and was able to download the deb it couldn't find. I even did an apt-get update. Still can't connect to ubuntu servers. It has to do with the bash itself. This is very upsetting because I've seen videos with other
    people being able to install git and other repositories just fine. If anyone had this problem or can help me fix this that be great!

I included this also

root@localhost:/mnt/c/Users/Matthew# apt-get install git

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information... Done

The following extra packages will be installed:

git-man liberror-perl

Suggested packages:

git-daemon-run git-daemon-sysvinit git-doc git-el git-email git-gui gitk

gitweb git-arch git-bzr git-cvs git-mediawiki git-svn

The following NEW packages will be installed:

git git-man liberror-perl

0 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Need to get 3,306 kB of archives.

After this operation, 21.9 MB of additional disk space will be used.

WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!

git-man git

Err http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/main liberror-perl all 0.17-1.1

Could not resolve 'archive.ubuntu.com'

Err http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-updates/main git-man all 1:1.9.1-1ubuntu0.3

Could not resolve 'archive.ubuntu.com'

Err http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-security/main git-man all 1:1.9.1-1ubuntu0.3

Could not resolve 'security.ubuntu.com'

Err http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-security/main git amd64 1:1.9.1-1ubuntu0.3

Could not resolve 'security.ubuntu.com'

E: Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/libe/liberror-perl/liberror-perl_0.17-1.1_all.deb Could not resolve 'archive.ubuntu.com'

E: Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/g/git/git-man_1.9.1-1ubuntu0.3_all.deb Could not resolve 'security.ubuntu.com'

E: Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/g/git/git_1.9.1-1ubuntu0.3_amd64.deb Could not resolve 'security.ubuntu.com'

E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?

Matthewasdf, Oct 7, 2018
  3. Solaris17 Win User
    Nvidia drivers in Ubuntu, installed but not running

try

Code: rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf; nvidia-xconfig[/quote] you might need to sudo it first by doing the following

at root
    Code: sudo or su[/quote] before the command. if the above command doesnt work do this

Direct copy and paste. If it doesnt work lmk

Code: sudo sh -c "echo 'deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/nvidia-vdpau/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main' >> /etc/apt/sources.list" sudo sh -c "echo 'deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/nvidia-vdpau/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main' >> /etc/apt/sources.list"[/quote] STEP 2
    Code: sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys CEC06767[/quote] STEP 3
    Code: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install nvidia-190-modaliases nvidia-glx-190[/quote] if step 3 doesnt work try this one

Code: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install nvidia-185-modaliases nvidia-glx-185[/quote] AND OF COURSE​
    to upgrade to the newest version of ubuntu in terminal do this

Code: sudo apt-get update[/quote] Code: sudo apt-get upgrade[/quote] Code: sudo apt-get dist-upgrade[/quote] that will update you to 9.04 from 8.10

Solaris17, Oct 7, 2018
  4. Ubuntu on Windows 10 1809 can't do "apt update" even connected to internet

WINDOWS XP??? WAKE UP PEOPLE.

Installing common software on various distros:

Archlinux: sudo pacman -S <name of soiftware>
    Debian/Ubuntu: sudo apt-get install <name of software>
    Suse: sudo zypper install <name of software>

Or use one of the numerous GUIs sitting on top of the underlying package manager (complete with search! Though even the commandline version have search functionality).

Android: go to Google Play Store, Amazon Market or something else, find thing, press button, thing is installed sometime later.
    iOS: open iTunes, find thing, press button, thing is installed sometime later.

Menawhile, in Windows:

• Google software
    • Find non-malware link
    • Find download section
    • Find download
    • Click correct download button
    • Try n times until successful downalod (where n >= 1)
    • Install software
    Then you have system and software updates:

On Linuxes:

Archlinux: sudo pacman -Syu
    Debian/Ubuntu: sudo apt-get distupgarde
    Suse: sudo zypper upgrade

Or use one of the numerous GUI tools, again, which will come with a nice little popup when it finds updates too.

Android: click popup in notification center (if not auto-updating), press "Update All" button, some time later everything is up to date. Also applies to firmware/OS updates.
    iOS: similar to Android I assume.. I have not personally used an iOS device long enough to know it' s app/OS update UI.

On Windows:
    • Run Windows Update once
    • Install 20 updates
    • Run it again, finds more updates
    • Install these never seen before updates
    • Repeat steps 3 and 4 until no more windows updates
    • Update software that isn' t in Windows Update
    • Repeat step 6 until all software is updated
    I' m sorry, how is Windows easy again? Sure, this is a little extreme (the retry DL n times until successful, but it happens regularly enough on slow connections), but both are real, actual experiences I have semi regularly.

ZeDestructor, Oct 7, 2018
Thema:

Ubuntu on Windows 10 1809 can't do "apt update" even connected to internet

1. Ubuntu on Windows 10 1809 can't do "apt update" even connected to internet - Similar Threads - Ubuntu 1809 can't

2. Can't connect to the internet Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't connect to the internet Windows 10.: I can't connect to the internet with WiFi or with the ethernet on my Dell computer. I can connect to the internet with my other computers and other devices. So, the modem and router is working as it should. I have tried all of the suggestions that are on the Microsoft support...
  3. Can't connect to the internet Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't connect to the internet Windows 10.: I can't connect to the internet with WiFi or with the ethernet on my Dell computer. I can connect to the internet with my other computers and other devices. So, the modem and router is working as it should. I have tried all of the suggestions that are on the Microsoft support...
  4. internet connection slower on windows 10 compare to Ubuntu

internet connection slower on windows 10 compare to Ubuntu: Hi, since i started to work from home, i noticed a strange internet slowness on windows 10. I have a fresh installation of windows 10 on my PC and a Ubuntu as a dual boot. When i do a speed test on windows 10 i get a : 400 download 400 upload But when i do the same test...
  5. No Internet Connection 1809 Update Problem

No Internet Connection 1809 Update Problem: Hello all! After Update my windows to latest version 1809, when I power on my laptop and want to use internet using the browser, it says "No Internet Connection" and it doesn't work, like when I have no internet !! after that I had to Restart my windows to fix it! every time...
  6. Windows 10 1809: Microsoft Store Can't Connect to the Internet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 1809: Microsoft Store Can't Connect to the Internet: Hi TenForums, I'm having a problem opening Microsoft Store, it keeps telling me to check my internet connection. Even though I have good connection. It wont let me open apps downloaded from the store, like Xbox and Roblox. Edge cant connect to the internet too! I think this...
  7. Windows 10 1809: Microsoft Store Can't Connect to the Internet

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 1809: Microsoft Store Can't Connect to the Internet: Hi TenForums, I'm having a problem opening Microsoft Store, it keeps telling me to check my internet connection. Even though I have good connection. It wont let me open apps downloaded from the store, like Xbox and Roblox. Edge cant connect to the internet too! I think this...
  8. Windows Apps Internet Connectivity Problem After 1809 Update

Windows Apps Internet Connectivity Problem After 1809 Update: I have updated 6 of my PCs to Windows 10 1809. Now I have noticed this problem in 4 of them. Windows apps are unable to connect to the Internet. Let me tell you what I have found and why I think this is a problem. After the update, Edge cannot even open bing.com but if I...
  9. Windows Apps Internet Connectivity Problem After 1809 Update

Windows Apps Internet Connectivity Problem After 1809 Update: I have updated 6 of my PCs to Windows 10 1809. Now I have noticed this problem in 4 of them. Windows apps are unable to connect to the Internet. Let me tell you what I have found and why I think this is a problem. After the update, Edge cannot even open bing.com but if I...
  10. Windows 10 can't connect to internet

Windows 10 can't connect to internet: Hello. My laptop suddenly cannot connect to my wifi. The wifi password or configuration have never ever been changed. All my other devices can use the same wifi except this windows 10 laptop. The laptop has no problem scanning and showing the wifi's nearby. But after the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 wsl 2 ubuntu slow after apt upgrade

2. windows 10 1903 ubuntu update packages connection failed

3. ubuntu app windows 10 connect to the internet

4. trusty ubuntu in WINdows 10 cant update,
  5. ubuntu on 1809,
  6. ubuntu windows 10 cant update,
  7. ubuntu apt get update failed,
  8. windows 10 ubuntu apt update,
  9. Cant apt update Ubuntu app Windows 10