Windows 10: UEFI and BIOS when old main drive is MBR

Discus and support UEFI and BIOS when old main drive is MBR in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi Windows10 people, Thanks for checking this post. It's quite a yes or no question, but here are the details. I have a y530 legion with windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/BackgroundProcess101, Apr 14, 2021.

1. UEFI and BIOS when old main drive is MBR

Hi Windows10 people,

Thanks for checking this post.

It's quite a yes or no question, but here are the details.

1. I have a y530 legion with windows 10 on HDD installed
    2. I bought a new nvme ssd and want to set it as my boot drive
    3. My old hdd drive will be kept as a storage and i will keep using it
    4. The hdd drive is MBR
    5. I want to install the windows 10 on the new ssd and I've set it to be GPT after initializing it
    6. I want to make sure I use only UEFI from now on and not BIOS

Questions is, if I install my win 10 on the ssd, which is initialized as GPT, but up until now my main drive was MBR, will I be able to continue using the HDD as I want to transition from BIOS to UEFI?

Will my PC read it afterwards?

Does the UEFI BIOS - GPT MBR principle only apply to boot drives?

submitted by /u/BackgroundProcess101
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/BackgroundProcess101, Apr 14, 2021

2. MBR to UEFI conversion

In addition to the good explanation that Greg provided, I would like to add a technical distinction:

The UEFI is akin to firmware while the MBR is a partitioning method. So you would compare the UEFI to the BIOS, and the MBR to the GPT. You wouldn't speak of converting MBR to UEFI.

I said that the UEFI is akin to firmware, because it's not really firmware. The BIOS really is firmware, because it resides on a chip on the motherboard. But the UEFI is programmable software that sits between the computer’s hardware and the operating
    system.

The only compelling reason to convert your hard drive from MBR to GPT is if you need to have more than 4 primary partitions on the drive. MBR is limited to 4 primary partitions. And then, since GPT can't be run from the BIOS, you would need to use the UEFI.

The UEFI has many technical improvements over the BIOS, to be sure, but considering the uncertainty inherent in converting old hardware, there isn't really a good reason to attempt converting from BIOS to UEFI other than the satisfaction in pulling off a
    complicated maneuver.

0dcafe6b-10a8-4bc9-b8b2-213ccfc2f28c, Apr 14, 2021
  3. slance310 Win User
    Move Windows 10 from an MBR drive to GPT drive?

Hi,

The machine does need to be using the UEFI Bios to boot with a 3TB drive...

The drive also needs to be GPT...

If your old drive is MBR, your machine is probably not using UEFI...

MBR is a Legacy partition type and normally won't boot on a UEFI System...

UEFI machines normally boot from a small EFI partition, which is a different process than Legacy Bios...

I would suggest switching your BIOS to UEFI and trying to boot again...

If that fails, create bootable Win 10 installation media on a Flash Drive, boot with it...

Select REPAIR on the lower left of the INSTALL screen...

Select "Troubleshoot"... Then "Advanced"... Then Startup Repair...

Automatic Startup Repair may start before you get a chance to make a selection...

If that happens and it doesn't work, try again with the manual selection of Startup Repair...

Hopefully this will fix the problem... provided there was not an issue with the cloning...

slance310, Apr 14, 2021
  4. lacrumb Win User

UEFI and BIOS when old main drive is MBR

Change from BIOS to UEFI

BIOS supports MBR which has a limit or 2.2TB drives.

UEFI allows much more and I am gong to use a 4TB drive.

lacrumb, Apr 14, 2021
Thema:

UEFI and BIOS when old main drive is MBR

1. UEFI and BIOS when old main drive is MBR - Similar Threads - UEFI BIOS old

2. Add Windows drive with MBR to a UEFI System

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Add Windows drive with MBR to a UEFI System: Hi!I have a booteable hard disk by mean MBR with Windows Server 2019.I want to add that hard disk to a system with UEFI which has Linux installed with its boot loader /boot/efi partition.How can I add the Windows drive in order to get adual boot sistem?Thank you in advance...
  3. Add Windows drive with MBR to a UEFI System

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Add Windows drive with MBR to a UEFI System: Hi!I have a booteable hard disk by mean MBR with Windows Server 2019.I want to add that hard disk to a system with UEFI which has Linux installed with its boot loader /boot/efi partition.How can I add the Windows drive in order to get adual boot sistem?Thank you in advance...
  4. I want to switch from MBR (BIOS) to GPT (UEFI)

in Windows 10 Support
    I want to switch from MBR (BIOS) to GPT (UEFI): Hello everyone, I have Samsung EVO 860 SSD, I have Windows 10 and partition style is MBR, while my second HDD I bought few days ago is in GPT and his size is 2TB The reason I want to switch my OS and my main SSD where the OS is located in general to GPT is that I heard it's...
  5. MBR TO GTP AND DOS TO UEFI

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    MBR TO GTP AND DOS TO UEFI: recently upgraded hard drive to 1 TB on a dell inspiron 1525. I need to do 3 things. update DOS when i dont have the power requirements 0% not 10% as required. Trying to create a bootable usb has proven more difficult than i imagined to "forceit"; with the new HD, i NEED...
  6. MBR to UEFI conversion

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    MBR to UEFI conversion: When attempting to convert my 500 gb Western digital Black from Win 10 version 1909 MBR to UEFI using Microsoft's recommended procedure I keep getting, during validation attempts, the error message that the disk cannot be validated for conversion, and file size is 512 bytes....
  7. Transferring from BIOS/MBR system to UEFI/GPT

Transferring from BIOS/MBR system to UEFI/GPT: This may be clear as mud, but I'm going to give it a shot. The SSD on my Dell 3847 computer failed, so I connected it as a secondary drive to another, older Dell (660) and was able to copy a lot of files off of it. That older computer has an HDD; I used it while waiting for...
  8. Bitlocker with Windows 10 and EFI/UEFI Bios and Legacy Bios + MBR or GPT disk

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker with Windows 10 and EFI/UEFI Bios and Legacy Bios + MBR or GPT disk: Hello, I've read alot online about all of the scenarios for bitlocker and using Windows 10 with TPM 2.0. I've read things that said bitlocker encryption is not possible if it's a Win 10 box with TPM 2.0 bios in Legacy mode. It must be UEFI/EFI to work. Is this correct?...
  9. UEFI or MBR ?

UEFI or MBR ?: I 'm making a bootable usb flash drive with Rufus to install Windows 10 as a dual boot with Windows 8.1. When I installed my new video card I had to disable safe boot and enable legacy support in the bios. When I make the bootable flash drive should I choose UEFI or MBR? 1969
  10. MBR/UEFI issues

MBR/UEFI issues: My motherboard is UEFI compliant, however it was set up in MBR mode, I'm now receiving messages from Microsoft saying my PC will not be updated after 10 April because it is not set up in UEFI mode. I understand that to set up in UEFI mode all data on HD will be lost. I...