Windows 10: UEFI/BIOS Virus?

Discus and support UEFI/BIOS Virus? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have recently bought a new PC. Initially the W10 version was 1909 but very soon after purchase it was upgraded to 2004. One of the first things I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jack U3A, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Jack U3A Win User

UEFI/BIOS Virus?

I have recently bought a new PC. Initially the W10 version was 1909 but very soon after purchase it was upgraded to 2004.

One of the first things I did was to create a recovery USB memory stick. This was prior to me knowing how to access the PC's BIOS/UEFI although I had read in the supplied user manual that one should be careful to avoid leaving DVDs in the DVD drive prior to shutting down. Immediately after creating the USB stick I carried out a restart expecting the PC to boot from the stick. It didn't although the stick's LED flickered. I also created a Macrium Reflect recovery DVD which also fails to boot despite the DVD LED flickering on a restart with the DVD in situ.

I took my USB recovery stick and a Macrium Reflect recovery stick to a friend where he was able to boot from both with his W10 PC, which is not the same model as mine. He also loaned me a bootable DVD which boots on his, but doesn't boot on mine.

My new PC is a Medion AKOYA E42019. I should be interested to know if anyone else out there has one of these, and if so are they able to boot from USB stick and DVD? Might my UEFI/BIOS have picked up a virus?

While creating this I had a warning about Potentialy Unwanted Apps being found. In the appropriate section of 'Settings' it was suggested I start the recommended actions, which I have done, only for them to reappear. It seems the threat is 'Low'.

I also notice in 'Settings' that 'Secure Boot' is ON, I would have thought a freshly created USB recovery stick would be secure, might my assumption be incorrect?

:)

Jack U3A, Sep 28, 2020

2. bios

Hi all i am new in this forum, i need meanings step by step of each item listed in the bios Phoenix-Award

central473, Sep 28, 2020
  3. UEFI and BIOS problem

After going though the steps of to access my Uefi/ Bios menu (go to advanced options, click recovery, restart, advanced options yadadada) my bios menu changed. I cannot for the life of me figure out how i can access my onboard chipset. I just want to
    enable my onboard graphics card. Any help would be appreciated.

MikeParkerson, Sep 28, 2020
  4. Alexodd Win User

UEFI/BIOS Virus?

Windows fails to detect UEFI BIOS, assumes Legacy instead

Hi,

Due to some string of events, my computer has quick boot enabled in BIOS. I need to load UEFI to change some things, and am unable to because this setting is enabled. I assumed there was a way to reboot into UEFI from inside Windows 10, so I looked up how
    and found the answer: There is an option in the "Advanced startup" menus to do this. Unfortunately, this option seems to be hidden if Windows 10 erroneously detects that you are using legacy BIOS instead of UEFI. This appears to be the case in my current install
    (in MSINFO the BIOS Mode is set to Legacy).

My questions are:

• How do I change BIOS Mode to UEFI in my current install?
    • How do I make sure this remains the case in future OS resets/reformats?
    • Similarly, when building other computers in the future, how do I make sure Windows 10 does not make this same error?

My questions are not:

• How do I access my BIOS despite Windows 10 misidentifying my BIOS Mode?

Thank you for your time,

Alex

Alexodd, Sep 28, 2020
Thema:

UEFI/BIOS Virus?

1. UEFI/BIOS Virus? - Similar Threads - UEFI BIOS Virus

2. is uefi a virus ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    is uefi a virus ?: when i go to the boot and boot the system “through use a device” i see 2 uefi: called UEFI:CD/DVD Driveand UEFI: network device, is network device a virus ?i tried to access it and the pc has started successfully....
  3. is uefi a virus ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is uefi a virus ?: when i go to the boot and boot the system “through use a device” i see 2 uefi: called UEFI:CD/DVD Driveand UEFI: network device, is network device a virus ?i tried to access it and the pc has started successfully....
  4. Bios/UEFI virus survives clean install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bios/UEFI virus survives clean install: I have a Lenovo Ideapad 3 with AMD Ryzen 5, it's only one year and 3 days old. In April, Lenovo released a security advisory stating that their devices had 3 bios or UEFI related vulnerabilities, that allowed a virus to rewrite the SPI and deactivate the UEFI among other...
  5. Bios/UEFI virus survives clean install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bios/UEFI virus survives clean install: I have a Lenovo Ideapad 3 with AMD Ryzen 5, it's only one year and 3 days old. In April, Lenovo released a security advisory stating that their devices had 3 bios or UEFI related vulnerabilities, that allowed a virus to rewrite the SPI and deactivate the UEFI among other...
  6. Bios/UEFI virus survives clean install

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. UEFI vs BIOS: What is the difference between BIOS and UEFI?

in Windows 10 News
    UEFI vs BIOS: What is the difference between BIOS and UEFI?: [ATTACH]Is UEFI better or should you use BIOS? Anyone who is interested in understanding how their personal computers work will find this guide to be helpful. We explain the difference between BIOS (Basic Input-Output System) & UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) in...
  8. Outdated BIOS to UEFI

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Outdated BIOS to UEFI: Hi guys. So recently i was trying to figure out if how to boot into UEFI, but sadly there was no option for me to do that in the boot menu. Later on i googled some stuff and it told me to check system configuration to see if it says 'Legacy' which is Bios that you can convert...
  9. UEFI instead of BIOS

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    UEFI instead of BIOS: Hi guys. So recently i've been checking out my system components and my BIOS seems to be outdated. First of all i want to install UEFI instead of BIOS, and secondly, it says 'Outdated' next to the 'BIOS', which i believe is a bad thing? Even tho google tells me that i don't...
  10. BIOS / UEFI setup

in Windows 10 Support
    BIOS / UEFI setup: Hi, I have several Dell E6410's here with latest Win 10 1803 update and A17 BIOS. All ok apart from one machine which the power light stays on at shutdown. This particular machine happens to be set up with the boot option set to UEFI whereas the others use Legacy. So I...