Windows 10: UEFI boot entry in BIOS

Discus and support UEFI boot entry in BIOS in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Dell Inspiron 15 3515 Windows 10.In my Inspiron I have two internal SSDs, one came as standard and is 125 GB and I added my own 500 GB SSD. I cloned... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by RichVerne, Aug 5, 2022.

1. RichVerne Win User

UEFI boot entry in BIOS

Dell Inspiron 15 3515 Windows 10.In my Inspiron I have two internal SSDs, one came as standard and is 125 GB and I added my own 500 GB SSD. I cloned the smaller SSD to the larger one and by using BCDBOOT was able to chose which to boot from at startup. Both boot up just fine. However, I want to permanently use the larger SSD but in my BIOS there is a reference to the smaller one 125GB in the UEFI section, see below - How can I change the UEFI entry to be my larger 500GB drive?

:)

RichVerne, Aug 5, 2022

2. UEFI remove unwanted boot entries from BIOS solved easily

OK, FINALLY I figured it out. It would appear as though the last few people who used UEFI Shells died years ago, and I'm the only one left. But in case there exists a person who owns a Dell XPS 17 L702x system, here's how you delete boot entries from the BIOS.

Step 1. Download the Phoenix Technologies UEFI Shell: Dropbox - UefiShellX64.efi - Simplify your life

Step 2. Format a USB flash drive in FAT32, and create a folder named "EFI", and inside that, create another folder named "boot".

Step 3. Copy and paste the UEFI Shell utility into the boot folder, and rename the file "bootx64". The full path should look like this: EFI\boot\bootx64.efi

Step 4. Reboot your computer, and rapidly tap the "F12" key on your keyboard until you get to the Boot Menu. Scroll down to "Setup" and hit Enter.

Step 5. Now that you're in the BIOS, use the arrow keys on your keyboard to scroll to the Advanced tab. From there, scroll down to Boot Configuration. In Boot Configuration, set UEFI Boot to "Enabled" and Legacy Boot to "Disabled". Hit the Escape key to go back and then go to the Exit tab. Select the option to "Exit SAVING Changes", and go back to rapidly hitting that F12 key on your keyboard.

Step 6. Once at the Boot Menu, select your USB Mass Storage Device, and you'll boot into the UEFI Utility.

Step 7. From there, type: bcfg boot dump -b

This will display a list of boot entries. Take careful note of the "Option" numbers, and make note of the one that you want to delete. In my case, it was Option 05 with a description of "RAID Array". DO NOT CONFUSE OPTION NUMBERS WITH THE BOOT HEX NUMBERS!!! For example, Option 05 had a hex number of "Boot000A". Others will have such numbers as "Boot0005". That is NOT the number you want. You want the option number. It's a two character number after the word "Option". Hit the "Enter" key until the list has fully displayed.

Step 8. Once you know the Option number of which boot entry you want to delete, simply type this command:

bcfg boot rm XX (where XX is the Option number of the entry you want to delete).

For example, in my case, my RAID entry was Option 05. Therefore, my command looked like this:

bcfg boot rm 05

Step 9. Hold the power button to turn off your computer (I don't think there's a "shutdown" command for UEFI Shells).

Step 10. Turn your computer back on, and go back to rapidly tapping that F12 key while doing it. Once at the Boot Menu, go back into Setup. Once in the BIOS, go back to the Advanced Tab, scroll down to Boot Configuration, Set UEFI Boot to "Disabled" and Legacy Boot to "Enabled". Don't forget to exit saving changes.

And that should do the trick. Hopefully I helped at least one person with this post.

Crazy Gaston, Aug 5, 2022
  3. jimbo45 Win User
    UEFI remove unwanted boot entries from BIOS solved easily

Hi there

@dictum
    @logictonic1

Another way
    Boot up any UEFI Live Linux distro and then ensure you have efibootmgr installed on it. (Or those that have dual boot with Linux -- boot into that - also ensure efibootmgr is installed).

now run the efibootmgr command and you'll see a list of boot entries for example in my case :

UEFI boot entry in  BIOS [​IMG]

delete the HEX number(s) of the boot entries you want to delete

Job done --even easier !!!!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 5, 2022
  4. UEFI boot entry in BIOS

UEFI remove unwanted boot entries from BIOS solved easily

Believe it or not, you should be able to use my method posted above, except you may have different steps when it comes to your BIOS. However, the steps regarding the EFI shell should be the same. EFI shells are something you boot into pre-operating system, so they're universal. Three notes I want to mention:

#1. "Backspace" in that EFI shell doesn't work as expected, so if you make a typo, you're just going to have to hit Enter and re-type the command.

#2. I found out there is a reboot command in EFI Shell (Step 9.). It's Ctrl+Alt+Delete. You can do that instead of hard powering off the system.

#3. If the EFI Shell freezes on you (it froze on me once), just hard power off your system, and reboot back into your USB drive with the shell on it.

But otherwise, my instructions should work with your (or any) system.

Crazy Gaston, Aug 5, 2022
Thema:

UEFI boot entry in BIOS

1. UEFI boot entry in BIOS - Similar Threads - UEFI boot entry

2. UEFI boot entry in BIOS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UEFI boot entry in BIOS: Dell Inspiron 15 3515 Windows 10.In my Inspiron I have two internal SSDs, one came as standard and is 125 GB and I added my own 500 GB SSD. I cloned the smaller SSD to the larger one and by using BCDBOOT was able to chose which to boot from at startup. Both boot up just fine....
  3. UEFI boot entry in BIOS

in Windows 10 Customization
    UEFI boot entry in BIOS: Dell Inspiron 15 3515 Windows 10.In my Inspiron I have two internal SSDs, one came as standard and is 125 GB and I added my own 500 GB SSD. I cloned the smaller SSD to the larger one and by using BCDBOOT was able to chose which to boot from at startup. Both boot up just fine....
  4. Bios order of boot and UEFI

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bios order of boot and UEFI: Hi there, what is the optimum order of "boot" you need to set the bios at for a quicker start-up? And where do you place the UEFI component in relation to the actual firmware in the order of boot? Thank you, Robert....
  5. Add UEFI entries to boot menu

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Add UEFI entries to boot menu: I was wondering if there is any way to add a UEFI option to the bootmgr menu. I am trying to add GRUB to the boot menu; however, since Windows doesn't load anything but Windows in secure boot mode, I can't just load the GRUB file, hence the need to add the UEFI entry. My...
  6. Unable to Boot into UEFI BIOS Menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to Boot into UEFI BIOS Menu: Recently I wanted to install a Virtual Machine onto my computer, which for my VM requires me to change a setting in the UEFI BIOS menu for it to work. When i tried to load into the UEFI menu, with Settings->Update and Security->Recovery->Advanced Start-up->Restart Now and...
  7. BIOS / UEFI - can't USB boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BIOS / UEFI - can't USB boot: Hi, Problem I'm trying to boot from a USB pen ( Windows Install, Hirens, Any OTHER ) The problem is it sometimes works , sometimes as in Windows installer works when I wipe the on board drive. I can't get it to boot to anything else even when the on board drive it...
  8. UEFI remove unwanted boot entries from BIOS solved easily

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    UEFI remove unwanted boot entries from BIOS solved easily: Hi folks with UEFI if you've installed say some Linux versions and you don't want them any more you might still see these at boot if you go into your BIOS boot menu. Easy way to fix these i.e remove them 1) Go into command mode (run as administrator) 2) type bcdedit /enum...
  9. UEFI remove unwanted boot entries from BIOS solved easily

in Windows 10 Support
    UEFI remove unwanted boot entries from BIOS solved easily: Hi folks with UEFI if you've installed say some Linux versions and you don't want them any more you might still see these at boot if you go into your BIOS boot menu. Easy way to fix these i.e remove them 1) Go into command mode (run as administrator) 2) type bcdedit /enum...
  10. Cannot boot into UEFI BIOS or Boot Menu

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cannot boot into UEFI BIOS or Boot Menu: Belarc reports UEFI: American Megatrends Inc. P11-B2 Operating System: Windows 10 Home (x64) Version 1511 (build 10586.494) Installed: 4/27/2016 5:58:22 AM Servicing Branch: Current Branch (CB) Boot Mode: UEFI with successful Secure Boot. This is my brother’s computer:...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. EFI shell rename dual boot windows