Windows 10: UEFI Boot Menu

Discus and support UEFI Boot Menu in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I went into my UEFI boot menu yesterday to try to boot to a USB drive and noticed the kanji-looking characters in the screen shot provided. I couldn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by glockster, Feb 24, 2019.

1. glockster Win User

UEFI Boot Menu

I went into my UEFI boot menu yesterday to try to boot to a USB drive and noticed the kanji-looking characters in the screen shot provided. I couldn't use the up/down arrow keys to select a different boot device. The tab key would take me to the "Enter Setup" and "Boot Default" buttons and both of those did what they were supposed to do.

Setup:
    This is an Asrock X99X Killer running firmware ME FW 9.1.37.1002 and the most current UEFI/BIOS version P.340.

What I've tried so far:
    1) Mouse-clicking the grey "X" above the Windows Boot Manager item, but it did nothing.
    2) Re-flashing BIOS/UEFI same version.
    3) Removed the only hardware item that had changed, a Corsair Strafe USB keyboard and went back to the previous one to see if the keyboard might have been the issue, but no such luck.
    4) I thought there might be some drive corruption so I ran chkdisk /f on all the drives. Chkdisk didn't find anything and there was no change in the boot menu behavior.
    5) I tried disabling some USB settings, but none seemed to have any affect on the boot menu.

The boot menu was working fine last week when I used it. I am able to change the boot order in full set-up mode in the UEFI, but that's a little more involved than selecting from the boot menu.

Does anyone have any ideas what else I might be able to try to get the boot menu working again?

Thanks in advance!

UEFI Boot Menu [​IMG]

:)

glockster, Feb 24, 2019
  2. Uplink10 Win User

Can't disable UEFI boot on HP 250 G3

I got it, I was not accustomed to UEFI (because on HP 4540s I disabled it) and I automatically thought that if I boot from the first menu it will boot in UEFI mode, but I have to go to second menu "Boot From EFI File" to get a list of EFI boot options:

UEFI Boot Menu IMG_1509375.jpg

I installed Ubuntu Mate and Windows 8.1 from the first menu (the picture) and they both installed in BIOS mode. Quite simple really.

Uplink10, Feb 24, 2019
  3. Alicia Win User
    Can't disable UEFI boot on HP 250 G3

I am really interested in this. I could not install Linux and I don't know why. Was it so simple to install it? The linux I want to install is elementary OS, but I can install other one. How can I do it? Thanks!

Alicia, Feb 24, 2019
  4. UEFI Boot Menu

PC boots to UEFI menu

My Windows 10 PC is behaving strangely in that often when I turn it on, it turns itself off after a few seconds then turns on again but it will boot to the UEFI menu. From there I have the option to enter boot setup and it shows the boot order to be correct
    (i.e. first order in the boot queue is to my SSD with the OS on it) and I am able to choose to boot to the SSD, after which it will boot as normal and work fine. Sometimes, especially when I've only just turned the PC off, if I turn it back on it will boot
    fine. Given that it's not preventing me from using the PC it's not the biggest issue, but I was just wondering if anyone knew why this was happening or how to fix it. Someone suggested it might be a dead CMOS battery but I changed that out and it's still doing
    it.

MikeJones_434, Feb 24, 2019
Thema:

UEFI Boot Menu

1. UEFI Boot Menu - Similar Threads - UEFI Boot Menu

2. Windows 11 Bios UEFI Boot Menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Bios UEFI Boot Menu: Hi Team,I am unable to see "Windows 11" name under UEFI BOOT: option but I can see it replaced by "UEFI: BC501 NVMe SK hynix 512GB, Partion 1." However, Windows 11 loads normally.Any suggestion to revert this situation or correct the name back to Windows 11?Thanking you in...
  3. Windows 11 Bios UEFI Boot Menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Bios UEFI Boot Menu: Hi Team,I am unable to see "Windows 11" name under UEFI BOOT: option but I can see it replaced by "UEFI: BC501 NVMe SK hynix 512GB, Partion 1." However, Windows 11 loads normally.Any suggestion to revert this situation or correct the name back to Windows 11?Thanking you in...
  4. UEFI Boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    UEFI Boot: Following a Windows 10 updateto version 2004 on 18thAugust 2020, my PC goes into a boot loop, I can get out of it by pressing F12 and selecting Windows Boot Manager rather than the default UEFI partition 1 on a Kingston SSD. The PC then boots and runs normally. I would like...
  5. Add UEFI entries to boot menu

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Add UEFI entries to boot menu: I was wondering if there is any way to add a UEFI option to the bootmgr menu. I am trying to add GRUB to the boot menu; however, since Windows doesn't load anything but Windows in secure boot mode, I can't just load the GRUB file, hence the need to add the UEFI entry. My...
  6. Unable to Boot into UEFI BIOS Menu

Unable to Boot into UEFI BIOS Menu: Recently I wanted to install a Virtual Machine onto my computer, which for my VM requires me to change a setting in the UEFI BIOS menu for it to work. When i tried to load into the UEFI menu, with Settings->Update and Security->Recovery->Advanced Start-up->Restart Now and...
  7. Unable to Boot into UEFI Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to Boot into UEFI Menu: Recently I wanted to install a Virtual Machine onto my computer, which for my VM requires me to change a setting in the UEFI BIOS menu for it to work. When i tried to load into the UEFI menu, with Settings->Update and Security-Recovery-Advanced Start-up-Restart Now and then...
  8. UEFI BOOT

UEFI BOOT: Hi Smart People Dell Inspiron i5-3x Win10 I recently installed Crucial MS500 500MB SSD replacing a HDD after cloning (Acronis software that is provided by Crucial) and it's experiencing Boot issues. When booting normally it brings me to a screen asking me to select my...
  9. Cannot boot into UEFI BIOS or Boot Menu

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cannot boot into UEFI BIOS or Boot Menu: Belarc reports UEFI: American Megatrends Inc. P11-B2 Operating System: Windows 10 Home (x64) Version 1511 (build 10586.494) Installed: 4/27/2016 5:58:22 AM Servicing Branch: Current Branch (CB) Boot Mode: UEFI with successful Secure Boot. This is my brother’s computer:...
  10. UEFI booting

in Windows 10 Support
    UEFI booting: I created two UEFI bootable USB drives: USB stick 1.) using windows 10 "create recovery drive" - on a 32GB usb 3.0 drive USB stick 2.) using EASE US backup/restore software - on a 4GB usb 2.0 drive Both sticks appear to be UEFI. When I put them in my windows 10 desktop...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 dual boot not showing windows 7

2. grub not showing win 10 dual boot manjaro

3. windows 10 linux grub menu not showing

4. grub dual boot loader not showing windows