Windows 10: UEFI boot order of disks is not correct

Discus and support UEFI boot order of disks is not correct in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am confused. My machine, MSI Titan GT80S SLI "Skylake" sometimes takes over a min to boot and sometimes just 30 seconds, weird. I wonder if the boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by dictum, Feb 10, 2019.

1. dictum Win User

UEFI boot order of disks is not correct

I am confused. My machine, MSI Titan GT80S SLI "Skylake" sometimes takes over a min to boot and sometimes just 30 seconds, weird. I wonder if the boot sequences as defined in UEFI has something to do with it.

The boot order does not look right. The first disk that appears there, 860 EVO, is not the primary boot disk. Neither is the second one, PM951. The one at the bottom (option 5 and 6) is PM981 that is the primary Win10 boot disk and that defined in the bcdedit.
    However, the machine boots just fine. Why is the boot order what it is?

Does this correct?

UEFI boot order of disks is not correct xsnGhKQ.jpg

This is how the it's seen in Disk Management. PM981 is the disk 0 or C:. That's the primary boot disk.

Should it not show up in the UEFI as the first disk (option 1 and 2)?

UEFI boot order of disks is not correct tYFLWtn.jpg

This is how bcdedit looks (Via EasyBCD)

UEFI boot order of disks is not correct YUjicpx.jpg

And that is the actual boot menu resulting from bcdedit configuration. It is correct.
    There are 3 bootable disks in the system right now, the boot disk can be selected by scrolling up/down and hitting enter. All that works but that still raises the question why in UEFI the primary boot disk is not choice 1 which is the top, or default choice here. Could it be that the machine tries all the options until it gets to the correct one and that explains the slight timeout at times?

UEFI boot order of disks is not correct m2QmFPt.jpg

:)

dictum, Feb 10, 2019
  2. dark2099 Win User

AsRock Z77 Pro3 - AHCI? UEFI?

UEFI is a new standard of bios design, so that would probably be what the BIOS has listed as the first boot option, where ACHI is a mode that SATA controllers run, and that is probably listing drives by order of first to last by port order. Not sure why it would list that way (if my guess is right as to how/why it is listing the drives).

dark2099, Feb 10, 2019
  3. Unsupported Disk Layout for UEFI firmware

Hi BobZ

Sounds like you are doing a clean install. Is that correct?

Yes your disk has to be GPT to clean install if you want to boot UEFI. Please ensure you have your personal data backed up before following steps below.

Boot with your media, on the first screen that appears press Shift + F10 to get command prompt. This will wipe your disk.

diskpart
    List disk
    select disk 0 (ensure zero is where you want to install, change to appropriate disk number)
    clean
    Convert gpt (if required for UEFI)
    exit
    exit

It is a good idea to just have your boot disk connected when installing, then connect other disks.

When doing a clean install please see this tutorial for BIOS recommendations.

Clean Install Windows 10

Caledon Ken, Feb 10, 2019
  4. UEFI boot order of disks is not correct

Unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware

I hear you on configuring your own PC the way you choose to.

His PC could not boot to a GPT disk if in Legacy BIOS mode. It could not boot to an MBR disk in UEFI mode. The error tells us that his disk is not partitioned for UEFI, so he is in Legacy BIOS mode, on an MBR disk, but has UEFI/GPT capability. On a Legacy
    BIOS-only PC, like my 2007 Dell XPS laptop, it would not give this error.

You are right that we do not know which version Windows Update is trying to install. He might not be able to upgrade directly from version 1507/build 10240 to version 1709 (or 1803). I could do a test tomorrow to see if the upgrade can be done in one step.
    I think that it might have to be done in two upgrades via Windows Update (because 10240 cannot do a UUP Windows Update) but probably can upgrade in one step via mounted ISO.

Using a downloaded ISO might also bypass this error, as I think you originally suggested, leaving the disk as MBR.

Don Cuthbert, Feb 10, 2019
Thema:

UEFI boot order of disks is not correct

1. UEFI boot order of disks is not correct - Similar Threads - UEFI boot order

2. correct or recommended boot order.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    correct or recommended boot order.: Can someone help me out with the correct or recommended boot order. I have an HP 5ap8mp 17- can3xxx running Windows 11..... UEFI Boot Order 1. OS Boot Manager 2. Internal CD/DVD ROM drive 3. USB flash drive /USB hard drive 4. USB CD/DVD ROM drive 5. Network adapter...
  3. correct or recommended boot order.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    correct or recommended boot order.: Can someone help me out with the correct or recommended boot order. I have an HP 5ap8mp 17- can3xxx running Windows 11..... UEFI Boot Order 1. OS Boot Manager 2. Internal CD/DVD ROM drive 3. USB flash drive /USB hard drive 4. USB CD/DVD ROM drive 5. Network adapter...
  4. Partitions on the disk are not in the correct order when attempting dual boot installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Partitions on the disk are not in the correct order when attempting dual boot installation: I want to add a second installation of WIN 10 to my laptop with dual boot. I’ve made a new partition and created a USB installation drive with the MediaCreationTool. When I go to instal, I select the new partition, but get the following message: "The Partitions on the disk...
  5. Partitions on the disk are not in the correct order when attempting dual boot installation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Partitions on the disk are not in the correct order when attempting dual boot installation: I’ve made a new partition and created a USB installation drive with the MediaCreationTool. When I go to instal, I select the new partition, but get the following message: "The Partitions on the disk are not in the correct order. For additional information about installing to...
  6. Partitions on the disk are not in the correct order when attempting dual boot installation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Partitions on the disk are not in the correct order when attempting dual boot installation: I’ve made a new partition and created a USB installation drive with the MediaCreationTool. When I go to instal, I select the new partition, but get the following message: "The Partitions on the disk are not in the correct order. For additional information about installing to...
  7. Disk Partition Order for Windows10 Pro - UEFI Boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk Partition Order for Windows10 Pro - UEFI Boot: Hi, I had installed Windows 10Pro Ver 1903 on a MBR disk with Legacy Boot and Windows was working fine, but as I had 3 HDDs on my system, the Windows had got installed across 2 HDDs with Windows C: Drive on one HDD and the Boot loader on another HDD. But the PC was booting...
  8. Bios order of boot and UEFI

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bios order of boot and UEFI: Hi there, what is the optimum order of "boot" you need to set the bios at for a quicker start-up? And where do you place the UEFI component in relation to the actual firmware in the order of boot? Thank you, Robert....
  9. Correct boot order for USB stick

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Correct boot order for USB stick: Hello. Im having a problem booting into my USB stick from my BIOS. Im not sure what correct boot order for an USB stick is.. Im using an MSI B250M PRO-VDH Motherboard. My current boot order is like this: [ATTACH]My USB name is INTENSO [ATTACH]When I try to boot from my...
  10. Disk boot order not correct in UEFI

in Windows 10 Support
    Disk boot order not correct in UEFI: My machine, MSI Titan GT80S SLI "Skylake" sometimes takes over a min to boot and sometimes just 30 seconds, weird. I wonder if the boot sequences as defined in UEFI has something to do with it. It does not look right. The first disk that appears there, 860 EVO, is not the...