Windows 10: UEFI Boot Order: OS Installation through PXE

Discus and support UEFI Boot Order: OS Installation through PXE in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have query regarding UEFI boot order change after OS installation. I want to know whether the result is expected or not. I am trying to install... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SireeshaR, Dec 17, 2018.

1. SireeshaR Win User

UEFI Boot Order: OS Installation through PXE

I have query regarding UEFI boot order change after OS installation. I want to know whether the result is expected or not.

I am trying to install OS through PXE by following the below procedure:

1. In BIOS setup page, changed the UEFI boot order and set the network boot as first boot option.

2. After saving the settings and reboot, booted to PXE as it is set as first boot option.

3. Installed windows 10 OS through PXE.

4. After successful installation and rebooted from windows, the boot order changed automatically and set the first boot option as windows boot manager.

I want to know whether Windows 10 installation changes the UEFI boot order and is this the expected behavior?

:)

SireeshaR, Dec 17, 2018
  2. SanBarn Win User

Install Windows 10 on UEFI mode using Linux PXE server

Hi,

I need to install Windows 10 on my client machine in UEFI mode using Linux PXE server.

Can anyone please provide me some insights for the same.

I am able to perform the same in UEFI mode exactly the same way as shown in the given link: Install Windows
    7’ over ‘PXE Network Boot Server’

The similar process I am trying to figure out for my Windows 10 deployment in UEFI mode. Is there
    any possibility?

Thanks!

SanBarn, Dec 17, 2018
  3. JohnSF Win User
    PXE-E53: No boot file name received

When cold starting new laptop, I get the following:

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Series v2.61 (01/07/15)

Client MAC ADDR ** ** ** ** ** ** GUID:********-****-****-****-************

PXE-E53: No boot filename received

PXE-MOF: Exiting PXE ROM.

Then about one minute later, the machine boots and I have Windows 10

My question is how to I eliminate the above so I can get a faster boot.

What I did to new PC is take SSD drive from old laptop and installed in new laptop.

New laptop has dual drives, so I canged BIOS from UEFI to Legacy and boot order so new laptop would boot from my installed

SSD which has windows 10 pro, better than factory installed win 10.

Any suggestions appreciated.

JohnSF, Dec 17, 2018
  4. UEFI Boot Order: OS Installation through PXE

UEFI Boot Configuration - What do the options mean?

Sorry to ask, but reasonable research has failed to find desired level of detail.

I've gone into Surface UEFI settings, and selected "Boot configuration" from the left column (menu).

I see:

Configure boot device order

[x] Internal Storage

[x] USB Storage

[x] PXE Network

Advanced options

Enable alternate boot sequence - On

Enable IPv6 for PXE Network boot option - On

Questions and assumptions:

• Internal Storage - Includes SSD and is required for launching Windows. Would an inserted memory (SD) card also count as internal storage?
    • USB Storage - "flash stick" and, maybe, external HDD. UEFI boot format required (?)
    • PXE Network - I'm not seeking info. about this. It's nothing new and I'd hope commonly-available guides would help me boot the Surface Book from an image on the network, should I ever desire this. For now, I will disable the option in the interests of
      security.
    • Enable alternate boot sequence - I'd bet this would have read "alternative", if firmware flash had the bytes to spare. Is this for enabling / disabling the power-on with volume-down pressed method of overriding the boot order? Also, what should the volume-down
      power-on do? Will it show a menu, but maybe only when there are more than two bootable devices present? Can one choose a device that has been un-checked in the "Configure boot device order" list?
    • Enable IPv6 for PXE Network boot option - Controls whether network boot can use IPv6 as well as (older, and much more common) IPv4.

Please would someone fill in the gaps, and contradict me where appropriate?

For reference:

• System UEFI: 88.1121.768
    • SAM Controller: 88.1134.257
    • Intel Management Engine: 11.0.0.1202
    • System Embedded Controller: 88.899.256
    • Touch Firmware: 1.51.45.94.4.26

njorl (UK), Dec 17, 2018
Thema:

UEFI Boot Order: OS Installation through PXE

1. UEFI Boot Order: OS Installation through PXE - Similar Threads - UEFI Boot Order

2. UEFI pxe boot problem with WDS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UEFI pxe boot problem with WDS: Hello all,Recently, we purchased gigabyte H510M S2P motherboards and I could not enable legacybios mode to install windows from WDS server. When i enable CSM on mitherboard to boot with bios it hangs on bios boot screen, so I enabled network stack to be able to boot from uefi...
  3. UEFI pxe boot problem with WDS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    UEFI pxe boot problem with WDS: Hello all,Recently, we purchased gigabyte H510M S2P motherboards and I could not enable legacybios mode to install windows from WDS server. When i enable CSM on mitherboard to boot with bios it hangs on bios boot screen, so I enabled network stack to be able to boot from uefi...
  4. Unable to Boot to OS or BIOS/UEFI

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to Boot to OS or BIOS/UEFI: * [Full discloser] I know this is a Microsoft forum, but this also involves Linux so any help is appreciated. So I thought it'd be a fun idea to dual-boot Linux Lite alongside my Windows 10 pro partition. It Started off fine, but I noticed when I restarted to go back to...
  5. UEFI: Windows 10 PXE-E53 No Boot filename received

UEFI: Windows 10 PXE-E53 No Boot filename received: Device: Dell inspiron 15 7000 laptop When booting, Windows boot manager does not make it past Dell logo. Then attempts to run Automatic Repair. Restart - same thing Uninstal latest update - unable to, have pending updates Boot from UEFI does the same thing. Boot...
  6. Bios order of boot and UEFI

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bios order of boot and UEFI: Hi there, what is the optimum order of "boot" you need to set the bios at for a quicker start-up? And where do you place the UEFI component in relation to the actual firmware in the order of boot? Thank you, Robert....
  7. PXE Boot not Support for UEFI Stack during installation

PXE Boot not Support for UEFI Stack during installation: WE have an old workstation we need to install via SCCM that does not have in the UEFI Stack the PXE Support. There is a way to create a bootable winpe that can be used just to boot and connect to the SCCM in order to install the image? 131369
  8. UEFI boot order of disks is not correct

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    UEFI boot order of disks is not correct: I am confused. My machine, MSI Titan GT80S SLI "Skylake" sometimes takes over a min to boot and sometimes just 30 seconds, weird. I wonder if the boot sequences as defined in UEFI has something to do with it. The boot order does not look right. The first disk that appears...
  9. Disk boot order not correct in UEFI

in Windows 10 Support
    Disk boot order not correct in UEFI: My machine, MSI Titan GT80S SLI "Skylake" sometimes takes over a min to boot and sometimes just 30 seconds, weird. I wonder if the boot sequences as defined in UEFI has something to do with it. It does not look right. The first disk that appears there, 860 EVO, is not the...
  10. Leave UEFI boot order for USB first

in Windows 10 Support
    Leave UEFI boot order for USB first: Is there any negative if I decide to leave my boot order so USB disk is first? Except for the obvious, that if a bootable device is installed it will boot, but for normal everyday use, I'd like to leave it set this way. Makes it a lot easier when I want to boot up my Acronis...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what is the boot order when using pxe windows7

2. boot order pxe

3. uefi pxe windows install