Windows 10: UEFI boot VM's on non UEFI systems

Discus and support UEFI boot VM's on non UEFI systems in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks if you want to test such things as UEFI boot or even Secure boot on a VM running on older hardware that doesn't have UEFI boot it's still... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, May 28, 2020.

1. jimbo45 Win User

UEFI boot VM's on non UEFI systems

Hi folks if you want to test such things as UEFI boot or even Secure boot on a VM running on older hardware that doesn't have UEFI boot it's still easily possible. On for example Linux host running KVM/QEMU a Windows VM ( This also works on Windows hosts running VMWare for example). 1) Create the Virtual HDD as a GPT disk : The easy way is to use GPARTED initially on your VM to create partitions on HDD VM whether with VMWare or other VM software -- choose "Other" to avoid those "auto Easy Wizards" which go into "Idiot Mode" and hose up any idea of "Custom VM's". !! Download the iso and set your VM to boot from it as per : Simply "Boot into firmware" or whatever the VM software choice allows you with the GPARTED iso as the boot media. Format the HDD (Virtual HDD) with partitions to choice, At initial boot from GPARTED simply select New Partition table and choose gpt for the HDD partition table. 2) Format the /boot partition (or a small partition for the bootloader) in FAT32 3) Set the VM config to use UEFI as its boot : This is an image of a really old computer that knows nothing about GPT disks etc etc UEFI boot VM's on non UEFI systems [​IMG] 4) now install your guest OS and enjoy !!! "The Wonder of Virtual Machines". !!!! Cheers jimbo

:)

jimbo45, May 28, 2020
  2. Kari Win User

UEFI VM in non UEFI machine - Yes its possible

In Hyper-V:

Step 1, select Generation 2 vm in new vm wizard:

UEFI boot VM's on non UEFI systems [​IMG]

Step 2, disable Secure Boot in vm settings:

That's it.

*Wink

3. jimbo45 Win User

Hi folks

if you want to test such things as UEFI boot or even Secure boot on a VM running on older hardware that doesn't have UEFI boot it's still easily possible.

On for example Linux host running KVM/QEMU a Windows VM ( This also works on Windows hosts running VMWare for example).

1) Create the Virtual HDD as a GPT disk :

The easy way is to use GPARTED initially on your VM to create partitions on HDD VM whether with VMWare or other VM software -- choose "Other" to avoid those "auto Easy Wizards" which go into "Idiot Mode" and hose up any idea of "Custom VM's".

!! Download the iso and set your VM to boot from it as per :

Simply "Boot into firmware" or whatever the VM software choice allows you with the GPARTED iso as the boot media. Format the HDD (Virtual HDD) with partitions to choice, At initial boot from GPARTED simply select New Partition table and choose gpt for the HDD partition table.

2) Format the /boot partition (or a small partition for the bootloader) in FAT32

3) Set the VM config to use UEFI as its boot :

This is an image of a really old computer that knows nothing about GPT disks etc etc

4) now install your guest OS and enjoy !!!

"The Wonder of Virtual Machines". !!!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 29, 2020
  4. UEFI boot VM's on non UEFI systems

Win 10 - Changed boot to UEFI. Can i also setup the non-UEFI to boot?

I just fixed my pc to use UEFI. Is it possible to set this up to boot either as UEFI or into the non-UEFI mode from the same disk C:?

just beyond my knowledge level. This is a desktop system. ASUS p9x79 Pro, 32gb, 2tb system drive.

thanks

MattGinOK.

MattGinOKok, May 29, 2020
Thema:

1. UEFI boot VM's on non UEFI systems - Similar Threads - UEFI boot VM's

2. UEFI Boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    UEFI Boot: Following a Windows 10 updateto version 2004 on 18thAugust 2020, my PC goes into a boot loop, I can get out of it by pressing F12 and selecting Windows Boot Manager rather than the default UEFI partition 1 on a Kingston SSD. The PC then boots and runs normally. I would like...
  3. UEFI BOOT

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    UEFI BOOT: Hi Smart People Dell Inspiron i5-3x Win10 I recently installed Crucial MS500 500MB SSD replacing a HDD after cloning (Acronis software that is provided by Crucial) and it's experiencing Boot issues. When booting normally it brings me to a screen asking me to select my...
  4. Protected Boot and a VM (Not talking about UEFI)

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Protected Boot and a VM (Not talking about UEFI): Hi there While reading some threads about Ms's possible insistence on "Protected Boot" in the future I was wondering what this would do to the literally zillions of Virtual machines / Virtual desktops and other "Virtual desktop Integration" schemes around the world. As...
  5. UEFI VM in non UEFI machine - Yes its possible

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    UEFI VM in non UEFI machine - Yes its possible: Hi there Remember if you are using VMWARE you can try out a UEFI guest even if your HOST doesn't support it. In the configuration file set the following firmware="efi" That's it !!! Note you must do this BEFORE installing the VM - you can't change it...
  6. UEFI with Secure Boot (UEFI version) ?

in Windows 10 Support
    UEFI with Secure Boot (UEFI version) ?: I want to enable UEFI with Secure Boot and I do have an option to enable Secure Boot. But how can I tell if I am running UEFI firmware version 2.3.1.c ? Because to enable Secure Boot, machines must have UEFI firmware version 2.3.1.c I went to System Information, but It...
  7. Convert Non UEFI to UEFI?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Convert Non UEFI to UEFI?: I will be replacing (Upgrading) the motherboard (and CPU) in my desktop in the near future. The current Win 10 is not UEFI. Can it be converted to UEFI (GPT) or do I have to do a "clean" install to get UEFI? I assume the answer is NO, but wanted to check. 69592
  8. Boot Trouble, system partitions and UEFI

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot Trouble, system partitions and UEFI: Hi, So I thought I'd sling a new disk in my system. And then the OS wasn't seeing it so instead of looking in disk manager I just swapped the cables for my D: drive and powered on. The boot config was missing and Win 10 wouldn't boot. Somehow my D: drive had been set as a...
  9. UEFI installation on non-UEFI system

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    UEFI installation on non-UEFI system: Hi there, I wanted to boot an existing Windows 10 install taken from a UEFI notebook into an older non-UEFI notebook and I only get a flashing cursor. Booted with an installation media and the automatic startup repair did not work. Browsing online I tried re-creating the...
  10. UEFI booting

in Windows 10 Support
    UEFI booting: I created two UEFI bootable USB drives: USB stick 1.) using windows 10 "create recovery drive" - on a 32GB usb 3.0 drive USB stick 2.) using EASE US backup/restore software - on a 4GB usb 2.0 drive Both sticks appear to be UEFI. When I put them in my windows 10 desktop...