Windows 10: UEFI does not recognize USB Boot drive

Discus and support UEFI does not recognize USB Boot drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi. I am trying to re-install Windows 10 (Version not sure) from USB flash drive on Lenovo Ideapad 100s. The boot drive was configured with MS Media... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Scopes, May 4, 2021.

1. Scopes Win User

UEFI does not recognize USB Boot drive

Hi. I am trying to re-install Windows 10 (Version not sure) from USB flash drive on Lenovo Ideapad 100s. The boot drive was configured with MS Media Creation Tool. I can enter UEFI/BIOS with the Novu button in the Boot Option Menu but the flash drive is not recognized under EFI Boot Devices sub menu. I have disabled Secure Boot in the Setup menu as suggested on another website but to no avail. When I select EFI USB Device sub menu under the Boot Option Menu the boot drive is accessed and installation commences to the first screen but as soon as the installation starts the keyboard is disabled. I have tried using a USB keyboard - no success. BitLocker locked my notebook and I can't locate the key ....... looked evrywhere.....I think. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

:)

Scopes, May 4, 2021
  2. Scopes Win User

Hi. I am trying to re-install Windows 10 (Version not sure) from USB flash drive on Lenovo Ideapad 100s. The boot drive was configured with MS Media Creation Tool. I can enter UEFI/BIOS with the Novu button in the Boot Option Menu but the flash drive is not recognized under EFI Boot Devices sub menu. I have disabled Secure Boot in the Setup menu as suggested on another website but to no avail. When I select EFI USB Device sub menu under the Boot Option Menu the boot drive is accessed and installation commences to the first screen but as soon as the installation starts the keyboard is disabled. I have tried using a USB keyboard - no success.
    BitLocker locked my notebook and I can't locate the key ....... looked evrywhere.....I think.
    Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Scopes, May 4, 2021
  3. Install Windows 10 using UEFI bootable USB thumb drive

You need to go into you system bios and select allow uefi usb drive. Then add the UEFI usb drive to the boot menu

better way to partition aand create an bootable usb.

For the UEFI system, we can use these steps to create the bootable USB:

1.Locate a 4GB or larger USB flash drive

2.Open Diskpart and run the following command cmd admin type diskpart

• Type DiskPart in the command prompt.
    • Type "List Disk” (make note of the disk number of the target USB drive).
    • Type "Select Disk X”, where X is the target USB drive noted in step 4.
    • Type "Clean”.
    • Type "Create Partition Primary”.
    • Type "format FS=fat32 quick”.
    • Type "Active”.
    • Type "Assign".
    • Type "Exit".

Copy your ISO files to the drive and reboot

never use UEFI it better to repartition and remove UEFI go with legacy bois

bfvetscolakid, May 4, 2021
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

usb drive not recognized

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you get an error, ‘USB device not recognized’ when connecting a USB drive. I’ll certainly assist you with the issue.

However, please let us know:

• May I know the update that was installed? To check go to
      Start >> Settings >> Update & Security >> Windows Update >> View update history.
    • Does the issue occur with only one USB drive?
    • Which build version of Windows 10 is installed on the computer? Refer
      Which version of Windows operating system am I running?

I would suggest you to try plugging the USB to a different USB port and check if that helps. You can also try connecting the USB to a different computer and check.

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to refer the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the article
    Error: “USB Device not recognized" when you try to access
    a USB external hard drive
    except Method 1 & 2 and see if that makes any difference.

Let us know the results, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, May 4, 2021
Thema:

1. UEFI does not recognize USB Boot drive - Similar Threads - UEFI does recognize

2. Create Recovery Drive does not recognize USB flash drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create Recovery Drive does not recognize USB flash drives: I am trying to create a recovery drive for a brand new Dell computer running Windows 11 and keep getting this error with different flash drives: "Connect a USB flash drive. The drive must be able to hold at least 32 GB, and everything on the drive will be...
  3. Create Recovery Drive does not recognize USB flash drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create Recovery Drive does not recognize USB flash drives: I am trying to create a recovery drive for a brand new Dell computer running Windows 11 and keep getting this error with different flash drives: "Connect a USB flash drive. The drive must be able to hold at least 32 GB, and everything on the drive will be...
  4. Bios does not recognize a boot drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bios does not recognize a boot drive?: I have installed Chrome OS on my SD card with Neverware and when I plug it into my notebook the Bios does not recognize the SD card. Bios erkennt kein Boot-Laufwerk?
  5. usb drive not recognized

usb drive not recognized: Microsoft updated my win10 then shut down my computer. I have just loaded their crippling mode s and am trying to download Linux from usb but computer down not seem to recognize there is a usb drive plugged in....
  6. laptop does not recognize usb-stick uefi?

laptop does not recognize usb-stick uefi?: "System doesn't find any usb device" This sentence is there. And I can't open the windows boot manager. Turning off Uefi does not work either. Please I need help. It is an Acer Aspire 3 from 2018/19. I tried to install windows but it does not work. Even with a uefi stick....
  7. Dell UEFI USB Boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dell UEFI USB Boot: Hi all, Sorry if this question has been asked before. I have already gone through a number of fixes but nothing seems to be working for me so far. I have been provided with a USB with an MDT image on to re-image a number of PCs but soon realised it was formatted in NTFS due...
  8. win10 does not recognize a usb flash drive

win10 does not recognize a usb flash drive: why does win10 not recognize my usb flash drive anymore ( I cannot save copied files in my usb portable flash device) ?? thanks R. 10/9/2018 10.20 PM EST...
  9. Legacy boots usb fine but UEFI can't recognize it.

Legacy boots usb fine but UEFI can't recognize it.: So i have a laptop with windows 10 And i downgraded it to windows 7 thus i change uefi to legacy but since drivers are not compatible with win7 i tried to clean install again in windows 10 using uefi but it cant be recognize unlike legacy. It always shows (no bootable device)...
  10. USB Mouse does not work | Boot to BIOS/UEFI

USB Mouse does not work | Boot to BIOS/UEFI: Hello all, I am trying update my system BIOS. The System Board has an update for it. Boot to Windows 10 UEFI does not enable the USB mouse and keyboard, and I do not have a PS2 combo to attempt, although I am not sure that will work either, depending on consensus. Might...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. usb not detected in uefi boot

2. USB stick EFI not recognized