Windows 10: UEFI Drive/Boot problem

Discus and support UEFI Drive/Boot problem in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My W10 system WAS running fine (Gigabyte Mobo) with a UEFI SSD boot drive UNTIL I had a problem where I lost all boot. I think it was a SATA cable... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mikephillips, Mar 22, 2019.

1. UEFI Drive/Boot problem

My W10 system WAS running fine (Gigabyte Mobo) with a UEFI SSD boot drive UNTIL I had a problem where I lost all boot. I think it was a SATA cable problem, but it is now resolved. HOWEVER, in the process I no longer boot in UEFI, but into Win Boot Manager. UEFI is selected in 'Bios', but unlike before the only drive options are 'Windows Boot Manager ..drive xxx' whereas before the option was 'UEFI drive xxx'. How do I get the system to 'recognise' the boot drive (Kingston 400Gb SSD) as UEFI? It is still correctly partioned as GPT.

:)

mikephillips, Mar 22, 2019

2. Install Windows 10 using UEFI bootable USB thumb drive

You need to go into you system bios and select allow uefi usb drive. Then add the UEFI usb drive to the boot menu

better way to partition aand create an bootable usb.

For the UEFI system, we can use these steps to create the bootable USB:

1.Locate a 4GB or larger USB flash drive

2.Open Diskpart and run the following command cmd admin type diskpart

• Type DiskPart in the command prompt.
    • Type "List Disk” (make note of the disk number of the target USB drive).
    • Type "Select Disk X”, where X is the target USB drive noted in step 4.
    • Type "Clean”.
    • Type "Create Partition Primary”.
    • Type "format FS=fat32 quick”.
    • Type "Active”.
    • Type "Assign".
    • Type "Exit".

Copy your ISO files to the drive and reboot

never use UEFI it better to repartition and remove UEFI go with legacy bois

bfvetscolakid, Mar 22, 2019
  3. dark2099 Win User
    AsRock Z77 Pro3 - AHCI? UEFI?

UEFI is a new standard of bios design, so that would probably be what the BIOS has listed as the first boot option, where ACHI is a mode that SATA controllers run, and that is probably listing drives by order of first to last by port order. Not sure why it would list that way (if my guess is right as to how/why it is listing the drives).

dark2099, Mar 22, 2019
  4. Kbird Win User

UEFI Drive/Boot problem

UEFI Boot problem after bcedit command

Have you ever set up TPM on this Laptop ?

What is a TPM, and Why Does Windows Need One For Disk Encryption?

Windows Trusted Platform Module Management Step-by-Step Guide

The manual I found suggests that CD/DVD is the default option for boot device for the Computer but can be changed to USB etc in the Boot Options, but I guess you don't see that? It does say to turn off Fastboot , if trying to use DOS CD's however my guess is they mean if it is MBR based and not UEFI , so best to disable it anyway and transfer the Win10 ISO Files after mounting it , to a Fat32 formatted USB Drive which should be set Active as well with MTPW.

KB

Kbird, Mar 22, 2019
Thema:

UEFI Drive/Boot problem

1. UEFI Drive/Boot problem - Similar Threads - UEFI Drive Boot

2. UEFI pxe boot problem with WDS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UEFI pxe boot problem with WDS: Hello all,Recently, we purchased gigabyte H510M S2P motherboards and I could not enable legacybios mode to install windows from WDS server. When i enable CSM on mitherboard to boot with bios it hangs on bios boot screen, so I enabled network stack to be able to boot from uefi...
  3. UEFI pxe boot problem with WDS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    UEFI pxe boot problem with WDS: Hello all,Recently, we purchased gigabyte H510M S2P motherboards and I could not enable legacybios mode to install windows from WDS server. When i enable CSM on mitherboard to boot with bios it hangs on bios boot screen, so I enabled network stack to be able to boot from uefi...
  4. Windows 11 UEFI boot problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 UEFI boot problem: Hello, so i downloaded an Windows 11 ISO installation, that i copied to an usb with RUFUS, i selected GPT since my NVME is GBP capable. In BIOS i have enabled secure booting and TPM 2.0, i have a Gigabyte H410 motherboard, so my main problem is that after i begin the...
  5. HELP!!! UEFI boot problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    HELP!!! UEFI boot problem: HELP!!! UEFI boot is slower than legacy boot I had freshly installed windows 10 in my hp 15-be020tu notebook . Before installing iso in uefi mode ,i had install windows 10 in legacy mode and that was atleast booting a bit faster and apps were working faster . But when i...
  6. HELP!!! UEFI boot problem

HELP!!! UEFI boot problem: I had freshly installed windows 10 in my hp 15-be020tu notebook . Before installing iso in uefi mode ,i had install windows 10 in legacy mode and that was atleast booting a bit faster and apps were working faster . But when i shifted to uefi mode my laptop started to boot...
  7. Booting problem after changing to uefi

Booting problem after changing to uefi: After converting mbr to gpt using third party app and changing it to uefi from bios, the system is showing "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key" then i change uefi and kept as default, then also it is not working...
  8. Windows 10 UEFI boot problem

Windows 10 UEFI boot problem: Problem with windows 10 boot. Hello, I have a huge problem with loading into my system... Let me explain, what happened is that I installed dual boot Linux v.2020 with Grub dual boot, then I did something I should have not, to get rid of Linux that I didn't need anymore. I...
  9. UEFI boot problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    UEFI boot problem: [ATTACH] Hi everybody, I recently ordered a laptop Acer Nitro 5 from an online shop in spain and i got it today. Very excited, i turn it on and it gives me as shown in the picture. I already a bootable usb with windows 10 on it but there is only UEFI boot mode i...
  10. Cannot UEFI boot on another drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot UEFI boot on another drive: Hello, I am using a laptop with 2 drives. Lets call them Disk0 and Disk1. On both disk I have installed windows pro. I thought i could simply tell in the BIOS on which drive to boot but it did not work like that, so I decided to install AIOBoot and Clover on a Fat32...