Windows 10: UEFI drive question?

Discus and support UEFI drive question? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi All, Sorry but UEFI is all gobbledygook to me. I have 4 internal hard drives: 500Gb SSD (C Drive) 2 x internal 1TB SATA drives, and I've kept my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Cornishman, Oct 19, 2015.

1. UEFI drive question?

Hi All,
    Sorry but UEFI is all gobbledygook to me.
    I have 4 internal hard drives:
    500Gb SSD (C Drive)
    2 x internal 1TB SATA drives, and I've kept my old 250Gb SSD which used to have my operating system on, inside my computer for backups.
    I've disabled the 2 SATA drives, and my 250Gb SSD from the boot option, that's why you can't see them below.
    Now, Iv'e just made a Macrium Reflect USB boot drive, and that's the only drive that is UEFI???
    Should my main 500Gb SSD drive be UEFI as well???
    Would it give me any performance improvements???
    I haven't a clue!!!

UEFI drive question? [​IMG]

:)

Cornishman, Oct 19, 2015
  2. Saltgrass Win User

Cannot convert SSD drive from legacy (MBR) to UEFI (GPT) because of the System-reserved partition

Maybe someone covered this earlier in the thread but a Legacy Windows install will not boot to a GPT configured drive. You need to use UEFI for that and UEFI will not boot to a MBR configured drive.

So, unless you have a UEFI capable system you need to stay with MBR for the Boot drive...

Saltgrass, Oct 19, 2015
  3. slance310 Win User
    Cannot install windows 10 ISO on hard drive partition GPT or MBR!

Hi,

What type of problem are you having ?

If your machine came with Win 10 it is a UEFI machine and requires a GPT drive to install Win 10 on...

Your computer may not install to a UEFI Bios from a DVD...

You may need to hit Boot Options at the manufacturer's screen by hitting F2, F11, F12, ESC, Del, or whatever your machine uses...

You will want to look for your DVD or Flash Drive... They will probably be listed twice...

Once as normal, and again as a "UEFI DVD Drive" or whatever your drive is named, or "UEFI USB..." whatever your Flash Drive is named...

A Flash Drive needs to be made by the Create Media tool, preferably on the machine it is going to install to... If done on another machine, be sure to indicate it is for another machine... You may have problems if the other machine does not also have UEFI
    Bios...

The deal with the flash drive is that it needs to be created differently for Legacy MBR and UEFI... UEFI requires the flash drive is formatted FAT32, and Legacy MBR requires that the flash drive is formatted as NTFS...

slance310, Oct 19, 2015
  4. essenbe Win User

UEFI drive question?

The only important thing is that your OS is in UEFI mode. None of the other drives does it really apply to as far as I know. That is the way I have my system set up. The OS is in UEFI Mode, everything else is a normal.

essenbe, Oct 19, 2015
  5. Kyhi Win User
    You can force macrium boot disk into Legacy boot by removing Bootmgr.efi and the EFI folder from the macrium Boot Media..

6. Mystere Win User
    UEFI does not give a general performance boost. It does, however, make boot times faster and allows the OS to utilize very large hard disks, and boot from partitions that are anywhere on the drive.

UEFI also provides some interesting functionality for other OS functions. I would make your systems UEFI compatible, because the day will come when you want to use a 4TB drive and you will find it will have problems with BIOS installs.

Mystere, Oct 19, 2015
  7. Geneo Win User
    It isn't UEFI, it is EFI. EFI has nothing to do with large drive sizes. It is GPT disk formatting of that permits for drives larger than 4TB.

Making your boot EFI does require you to have a GPT formatted systems disk. But there are other compatibility considerations to be able to boot EFI, for instance your graphics card BIOS must support GOP/EFI or your system won't boot fully EFI.

Geneo, Oct 19, 2015
  8. UEFI drive question?

I thought EFI was just what they called it before it was Unified (UEFI)? Aren't they then the same thing (though I think there are newer versions, like 2.0 or something)?

DustSailor, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

UEFI drive question?

1. UEFI drive question? - Similar Threads - UEFI drive question

2. Windows UEFI, BIOS, and chipset questions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows UEFI, BIOS, and chipset questions: Hallo Guys im new to the Forum, i've got some questions maybe someone could help me. At first sorry for my english i'm from Germany ^^ Now to my questions, i've got my self a Clevo Notebook with the Mainboard: NB50TJ1_TK1, i dont have any kind of manual because the Shop...
  3. UEFI Question

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    UEFI Question: I use Windows 10, i installed windows with UEFI, i need to install an os alongside windows, will windows 10 still boot after i change it from "UEFI" to "Legacy Support UEFI First"...
  4. UEFI Drive/Boot problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    UEFI Drive/Boot problem: My W10 system WAS running fine (Gigabyte Mobo) with a UEFI SSD boot drive UNTIL I had a problem where I lost all boot. I think it was a SATA cable problem, but it is now resolved. HOWEVER, in the process I no longer boot in UEFI, but into Win Boot Manager. UEFI is selected in...
  5. UEFI Secure Boot questions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    UEFI Secure Boot questions: My laptop has Windows 10 with Secure Boot enabled in my UEFI firmware setting and my question is, can Secure Boot still protect booting from a malicious OS or tool (from a bootable USB stick) even when using the F12 Boot Menu Options prompt? I have a Dell laptop, which uses...
  6. UEFI with CSM module Question

in Windows 10 Support
    UEFI with CSM module Question: Hi there Messing about with an old HP ProLiant GEN 10 Microserver. In the boot menu it's got for Boot mode Legacy only (which I assume is MBR mode) or UEFI only --but under legacy mode I have the option to enable CSM module --- on the boot info it says this enables UEFI for...
  7. General UEFI Question

in Windows 10 Support
    General UEFI Question: UEFI is a real pain in my butt. I've done extensive reading. I understand (I think) secure boot. I've successfully made a UEFI boot usb windows install disk. I know how to get to access UEFI interface through Windows 8/8.1/10. What I can't find an answer to is how to get to...
  8. Windows 10 UEFI Installation Questions

Windows 10 UEFI Installation Questions: Hi people, I have some problem with installation Windows 10 UEFI on Samsung 850 EVO SSD. Actually I installed everything only my problem is because I could boot only if in BIOS is set option with Windows Boot Manager P1 Windows Boot Manager Samsung 850 EVO P1 Samsung...
  9. Win10 and UEFI Setup questions

Win10 and UEFI Setup questions: Just 2 quick question in regards to Windows 10 and UEFI settings. I have pretty much a good idea by now, but still have some questions here. 1. In the UEFI settings, how can I change my Internal HDD to boot first? I have Windows Boot Manager set as first boot option...
  10. Partition Question - First UEFI system

in Windows 10 Support
    Partition Question - First UEFI system: So I just completed a clean install on my new Pavilion X360 laptop. I've been building computers and working in IT for 20 years, but I've come across something I haven't dealt with before. I'm always used to using diskpart to set up my drives during the OS installs. I used...