Windows 10: UEFI dual boot 2x WIN 10 Pro failing

Discus and support UEFI dual boot 2x WIN 10 Pro failing in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Dear all, I ll be the first to admit that I have created this mess, but now got so far stuck that I can't find a way out anymore. Any help is very... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Bruxlux, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Bruxlux Win User

UEFI dual boot 2x WIN 10 Pro failing

Dear all,
    I ll be the first to admit that I have created this mess, but now got so far stuck that I can't find a way out anymore. Any help is very welcome!

What I did:

1. I started with 2 perfectly running win 10 pro installations on 2 different drives ("Work" drive and "Play" drive), with every restart ending up at the WIN 10 UEFI Dual Boot Screen.
    2. Then I decided to reinstall the "Play" drive, so I deleted all partitions on this drive and installed WIN 10 Pro through my USB drive created with the Windows Media Creation tool.
    3. I now believe that this drive originally contained the Boot sector and had a GTP table.
    4. Upon restart I could only boot into the new "Play" drive, which was now in MBR table (MB is set to UEFI + CSM mode).
    5. I manged to rebuild the Boot sector on the "Work" drive with bootrec /FixMbr bootrec /FixBoot bootrec /ScanOs bootrec /RebuildBcd. Which allowed me to boot to both drives, but only by going into the boot menu (F12), so no DUAL Boot Screen.
    6. Running Diskpart I noticed that now both drives were in MBR. Thinking this might be an issue I converted both to GTP with the win 10 MBR2GTP commands.
    7. This didn't change anything either. On restart I didnt get any DUAL Boot screen and could only get to the "Play" drive by going into the Boot menu, or changing the Boot order in the BIOS.

Now the real mess started:

8. I then decided to install EasyBCD on the "Work" drive and added the to bootable drives. This worked ONCE. On restart I got the UEFI Dual boot screen and booted to the "Play" drive.
    9. Restarting from the "Play" drive however got me straight back to the "Play" drive and restarting from their did the same without any dual boot screen.
    10. Then I thought I ought to install EasyBCD on the "Play" drive as well, which I did.
    11. This resulted in No dual boot screen and trying to boot to the "Play" drive I got a No windows installation found
    12. Now desperate I ran an auto-repair from Easy Recovery Essentials on the "Play" drive. Upon restart I didn't get any dual boot screen and booting (F12) to the "Play" drive resulted in a BSOD stating, "inaccessible boot device".
    13.Checking the "Play" drive in Diskpart showed that Easy Recovery Essentials has converted the "Play" drive back to MBR.
    14. ... and that where I am at!!

I feel I should just clean the whole mess up and rebuild the UEFI Boot sectors etc from scratch, but I don't know where to start now.

So in short, I would like to be able to boot from the Win 10 UEFI Dual boot screen, showing both my Win 10 pro "Work" install and my Win10 Pro "Play" install, if that makes sense.

Reinstalling the "Work" drive would only be a last last last resort option.

Thanks!

Maybe the below DISKPart / EasyBCD overview helps:

UEFI dual boot 2x WIN 10 Pro failing [​IMG]

Disk management etc - Album on Imgur

:)

Bruxlux, Jan 13, 2021
  2. Bruxlux Win User

Hi Navy,

please see the results below:

Bruxlux, Jan 13, 2021
  3. Bruxlux Win User

With first disk to boot, I suppose you mean the C: drive with Win Work on it..right?

- - - Updated - - -

Bruxlux, Jan 13, 2021
  4. Bruxlux Win User

BIOS is in UEFI mode.. this is what I got by booting to the disk.. doens't look very good

- - - Updated - - -

I managed to boot into the " Play" drive where I am now

Bruxlux, Jan 13, 2021
Thema:

1. UEFI dual boot 2x WIN 10 Pro failing - Similar Threads - UEFI dual boot

2. UEFI dual boot 2x WIN 10 Pro failing

in Windows 10 Support
    UEFI dual boot 2x WIN 10 Pro failing: Dear all, I ll be the first to admit that I have created this mess, but now got so far stuck that I can't find a way out anymore. Any help is very welcome! What I did: 1. I started with 2 perfectly running win 10 pro installations on 2 different drives ("Work" drive and...
  3. Dual booting with Win 10 Pro and Win 7 Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual booting with Win 10 Pro and Win 7 Pro: I'll be receiving a new computer with Win 10 Pro as my computer w/ Windows 7 Pro crashed. I'd like to take the hard drive with Windows 7 Pro and install it into the new one to have dual booting. Any problem doing that and what steps are needed? Thank you....
  4. Dual boot Windows 10 & Ubuntu UEFI

Dual boot Windows 10 & Ubuntu UEFI: Hello World I install W10 & ubuntu in dual boot on my new computer. I want to use Windows boot loader instead of GRUB. It is in UEFI so I can not use easy BCD, and I have to use easy UEFI. But I am completely lost I can not find clear info. This is the objective: [ATTACH]...
  5. Dual boot Windows 10 Pro with Windows 10 Pro failed

Dual boot Windows 10 Pro with Windows 10 Pro failed: Hi, I have to make a dual boot with both Windows 10 Pro install on the same SSD of 512 GB. My problem is : The first one is installed well with the 4 partitions on a GPT style partition. When I want to install the second one, it tells me "Cannot install Windows. The...
  6. Dual Boot Win 10 Pro and Win 7 Pro

Dual Boot Win 10 Pro and Win 7 Pro: Hi All, nice to be on board. I have a home built machine (specs entered when creating this account). I had a Dual boot system working like a dream, Win 10 Pro installed first (through upgrade a few months back) and then I created a separate partition and successfully...
  7. Dual boot 2x Win10 on 2 HDs?

Dual boot 2x Win10 on 2 HDs?: I have a pretty hardcore laptop from work, which i am also allowed to use for private use, so I have installed an ekstra SSD disk in the laptop and i was wondering if it was possible to install win 10 on that one and then get an option when i boot the pc, which disk/os i want...
  8. Dual-boot Win 10 Pro and Win 8.1 Pro question

Dual-boot Win 10 Pro and Win 8.1 Pro question: Dual-boot Win 10 Pro and Win 8.1 Pro question I plan to dual-boot Win 10 Pro and Win 8.1 Pro in a singular HDD. I have at the moment in an WD 1 TB HDD 2 partitions with Win 10 Pro partition (partition 1 - version 1511 and partition 2 - version 1703 -still on...
  9. Dual Boot Win 7 pro and Win 10

Dual Boot Win 7 pro and Win 10: I have new computer win 7 pro with all SSD. I plan to Install Win 10 onto a separate SSD (Samsung 500gb) and will just unplug my C Drive SSD with Win 7. The C drive SSD is also 500gb Samsung but only 152gb left on that drive. Any Comments / potential problems I may have. I...
  10. dual boot win 10 ent with win 10 pro

dual boot win 10 ent with win 10 pro: I have the win 10 enterprise preview edition but want to end up with the pro version. Can these 2 be installed at the same time? 7262