Windows 10: UEFI install boot fail @ Asian-market gigabyte motherboard...

Discus and support UEFI install boot fail @ Asian-market gigabyte motherboard... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey guys! I have an issue that's relatively specific, but maybe someone has experience with this topic. My friend moved to China and bought a used PC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by shalabajza, Jul 3, 2018.

1. UEFI install boot fail @ Asian-market gigabyte motherboard...

Hey guys! I have an issue that's relatively specific, but maybe someone has experience with this topic.

My friend moved to China and bought a used PC from a (not so tech-savvy) person. It came preinstalled with Win7, and he decided to do a clean install of Win10 on it. It's a Skylake CPU on a B350 chipset Gigabyte motherboard, so naturally, the board natively supports UEFI booting, evem tho the Win7 was installed in Legacy mode (I'm not entirely certain whether or not you can install Win7 in UEFI mode anyways, but that's not what matters now)

So, he created a bootable Win10 USB install using the Media Creation Tool, changed the BIOS settings to accomodate the new OS (things like boot priorities, fastboot, and UEFI-only booting - just in case) and - it won't boot from the USB. Now, having practical experience with this kind of issue, I figured a motherboard BIOS update usually does the trick (especially for Gigabyte boards, even though they still have "windows 8/10" support written in them somewhere, so they aren't older than the OS, which always confused me). But, just to be safe, he checked the USB boot drive on his roommate's laptop first, and it booted just fine.

So, now comes the tricky part. His motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-B150M-D2VX-SI, which I think is an Asian market variant of the GA-B150M-D2V. The issue is, it seems as if Gigabyte doesn't even have a listing for the board. I instructed my friend to try and find (if not the update itself, then atleast) the motherboard listing somewhere official on the internet, since I figured I might have that part of the internet blocked, knowing that he's in China, and I'm in Serbia, but that didn't reap anything. We also tried tampering with the settings in the motherboard, figuring maybe the BIOS updates just do the set-up part which we could have done by hand, but no luck. We even tried to make the USB boot in Legacy mode, but it wouldn't even present us with that option, we could only choose how the internal hard drive could boot (we checked to plug the USB drive both into the 2.0 and 3.0 port), it would just boot the win7 drive. We even disabled other boot options, but it would just boot into the bios settings automatically. It's rather nerve-wracking and I already had major issues when it comes to Gigabyte motherboards (I once almost bricked my friend's PC for forcefully trying to update his motherboard with the wrong BIOS, even though the model number and revision number matched up - but we realized just later that the board that he owned had a "-DDR3" suffix to it, and that board just didn't even bother showing up in our Google search results, which automatically made me assume that it was the right update package, and that the board was just a stubborn arse. Now, I check if the BIOS version and release date of the current BIOS on the motherboard and the websites match up - if I notice that the, for instance, F2 version on his baord was released in October 2015, and the F2 version on the website says it was released in December 2015, I know I'm not in the right place)

So, my question is:

Does anyone have experience with acquiring proper BIOS updates from (presumably) Asian-market-specific motherboards? How on earth does it even make sense not to list them anywhere officially, or at least anywhere publicly? Since the only listings I found for it were on AliExpress and such

Is there a way for us to maybe set this board up manually ourselves for it to boot from the USB drive? Maybe the update itself isn't mandatory, but it always solved this issue for me, even for other board manufacturers

Can we at least forcefully boot the USB drive in legacy mode in any way??

Thank you everyone, and I hope I posted this question in the right area!!

:)

shalabajza, Jul 3, 2018

2. gigabyte motherboard and windows 10

Gigabyte 970a-ds3p motherboard

Windows 10 would not install without the betabios (F2J) update on the bios motherboard.

After the update, automatic updates will not install Windows 10 automatically, you must use the MediaCreationTool X64 or X32 depending on your previous OS.

Windows 10 will not boot unless changes are made in the BIOS screen of your Gigabyte MB:

OS type: other

Boot mode select: UEFI and Legacy

Storage Boot Option Control: Legacy First

other PCI device rom: Legacy OpRom

under Peripherals:

onchip sata: Native IDE

Without these changes, Windows 10 boots into a redundant cycle of diagnostic and repair attempts. Make sure your Bios is the F2J before installing Windows 10, and the BIOS changes are made prior to running the MediaCreationTool.

JerryBigness, Jul 3, 2018
  3. Failing to install Server 2012 R2 via UEFI

Here's the motherboard:
    http://us.msi.com/product/mb/H87G43.html#/?div=Overview

I have two SATA optical drives and I'm trying to install Server 2012 via two SATA 250 GB drives configured for RAID1.

Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials is a trial ISO obtained from Microsoft and burned on my computer using ImgBurn. It was burned at x6 speed (the slowest my disks allow), it passed verification, and I didn't change any settings beyond the speed setting.

I updated the BIOS from 2.6 to 2.7 (highest available).

When I try (usually by accident) to install Windows via MBR, everything goes as expected. When I switch to the UEFI option, right after pressing a key to boot the CD/DVD, it says:

I do #1 and #2 never happens under UEFI. I have been Googling for information about this for hours and nothing I saw suggested was remotely similar to my situation, demands I buy software, or simply doesn't work. I'm out of ideas.

Windows Boot Manager does not appear under boot options in the BIOS.

This is intended to be a clean installation. I've repeatedly tried to delete and recreate the RAID1 array but, through the EFI Shell, I was able to backup data on the RAID1 array. This tells me the volume is indeed accessible and it's very much full of data.

I've tried both SATA DVD drives in the computer as well as a USB DVD drive and all have the same result.

As far as I can tell, Windows is failing to copy it's initial files over to begin the install process.

Any ideas?

FordGT90Concept, Jul 3, 2018
  4. wiak Win User

UEFI install boot fail @ Asian-market gigabyte motherboard...

Uefi Supported Motherboards.

then dont, you can install windows on a small ssd/usbdrive so why on a 3TB harddrive?

wiak, Jul 3, 2018
Thema:

UEFI install boot fail @ Asian-market gigabyte motherboard...

1. UEFI install boot fail @ Asian-market gigabyte motherboard... - Similar Threads - UEFI install boot

2. TPM2.0 Gigabyte motherboards 2014

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    TPM2.0 Gigabyte motherboards 2014: I don't know how to open TPM2.0 and secure boots in Bios Gigabyte motherboards 2014. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/tpm20-gigabyte-motherboards-2014/268f6686-7fa2-4686-9f2f-f942999089ca
  3. TPM2.0 Gigabyte motherboards 2014

in Windows 10 Customization
    TPM2.0 Gigabyte motherboards 2014: I don't know how to open TPM2.0 and secure boots in Bios Gigabyte motherboards 2014. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/tpm20-gigabyte-motherboards-2014/268f6686-7fa2-4686-9f2f-f942999089ca
  4. how i able UEFI in my motherboard b450m ds3h v2 gigabyte to install windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how i able UEFI in my motherboard b450m ds3h v2 gigabyte to install windows 11: It is not very clear how to carry out these activations to release the update for Windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-i-able-uefi-in-my-motherboard-b450m-ds3h-v2/bc344e20-5bf2-42b9-94ba-ef2dfa6136c6
  5. how i able UEFI in my motherboard b450m ds3h v2 gigabyte to install windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how i able UEFI in my motherboard b450m ds3h v2 gigabyte to install windows 11: It is not very clear how to carry out these activations to release the update for Windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-i-able-uefi-in-my-motherboard-b450m-ds3h-v2/bc344e20-5bf2-42b9-94ba-ef2dfa6136c6
  6. TPM Module for Gigabyte Motherboard

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    TPM Module for Gigabyte Motherboard: My 2012 Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard has a 20 pin TPM slot as shown below. Gigabyte advise the slot is for a v1.0 TPM module. It's unclear whether I need a bespoke Gigabyte TPM module or whether any 20 pin v1.0 TPM will work. I don't plan to use Bitlocker. In that case,...
  7. Booting from a CD with a Gigabyte motherboard

Booting from a CD with a Gigabyte motherboard: I am trying to set up my bios so I can boot start using a CD. Can anyone help please? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/booting-from-a-cd-with-a-gigabyte-motherboard/d32971de-0b46-429c-a995-a18eceef8e39
  8. Failing to install Windows 10 in UEFI boot mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Failing to install Windows 10 in UEFI boot mode: Hi I’ve been reading articles in this community and others the last couple of days and I’m getting more and more confused. I have made my first build with the following equipment: Asus Prime Z370-P (Bios version 1002x64, firmware 11.8.50.3470) Intel Core i5 8400 2,8GHz...
  9. Gigabyte Motherboards: Are they good?

Gigabyte Motherboards: Are they good?: My new rig is experiencing bandwidth bottlenecks on PCIe slots. Not because ASUS is not a good brand but because of some uplanned PCIe hardware upgrades. I need to fix this bottleneck problems and the best candidate so far to replace this 2 month old ASUS Z97-A USB3.1...
  10. No sound on desktop Gigabyte motherboard

No sound on desktop Gigabyte motherboard: I just installed windows 10 for the first time and Ive got no sound. I went to the gigabyte driver site and installed the latest driver they have. (VIA HD Audio). I have read other threads on here about lowering the Bitrate down to 16 but that does help either. Everytime i...