Windows 10: UEFI install on clean SSD

Discus and support UEFI install on clean SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've been having some trouble with my existing Windows 10 installation, and I'm planing to resinstall the OS from scratch on a brand new SSD that's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by PerfectBlue, Aug 1, 2016.

1. UEFI install on clean SSD

I've been having some trouble with my existing Windows 10 installation, and I'm planing to resinstall the OS from scratch on a brand new SSD that's fresh out of the box.

I want to install it with UEFI and Secure Boot from a USB, as I'm currently using Bios.

I've installed OSs before so I know the basics about partitions and so on, what I'm not certain about is how I can be certain that I'm installing Windows 10 as UEFI, and not as legacy bios.

Is there a tickbox or an option that you need to select during the installation process, or is this something that you need to select from your MB.

I plan to install from a USB stick. I've already downloaded the ISO and made the stick as I previously upgraded from Window 7.

:)

PerfectBlue, Aug 1, 2016

2. Transferring SSD with Windows 10 on a new computer with no OS.

Also, depending on the new SSD or HDD, and if this PC is UEFI and not old legacy BIOS, you may have issues installing 10 on it. Also, If UEFI, you have to create a UEFI Boot Partition before install and then set the boot to also be able to install without
    issues.

See Moderator Da Costa's Tutorial on installing Windows 10 clean install somewhere on this site.

seahawks65, Aug 1, 2016
  3. MikeEPK Win User
    Windows 10 AU clean install UEFI vs Legacy

Another UEFI vs Legacy mode question. I currently have my Win10 OS on a 120gb SSD. It is currently MBR as stated above. My MB is Asus z87-pro which support UEFI. I am planning to do a clean install of the AU from a DVD and will install this time in UEFI.
    I read that once go through the installation process I can delete the existing partitions on the SSD and when clicking Next Win10 will create, reformat the SSD in GPT and install Win10 in UEFI mode.

My question is that I also have an WD 2tb hard drive installed with some applications and data that is MBR. Will that present any issues as far as Win10 reading that drive now that I installed in UEFI mode or does it just care that the drive the OS is on
    is GPT? Probably a stupid question, but want to make sure before I do the install in UEFI. Thanks.

MikeEPK, Aug 1, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

UEFI install on clean SSD

Set the UEFI firmware to boot UEFI only and enable secure boot. That's what it will do. After install look at your SSD partitions and you will see a FAT32 EFI System partition that the computer boots from.

NavyLCDR, Aug 1, 2016
  5. philc43 Win User
    philc43, Aug 1, 2016
  6. Feather Win User
    https://technet.microsoft.com/fi-fi/...or=-2147217396

UEFI install on clean SSD [​IMG]

When you boot from the Windows installation media in Legacy BIOS mode, then Windows setup creates a MBR partitioned disk.

When you boot from the Windows installation media in UEFI mode, then Windows setup creates a GPT partitioned disk.

Feather, Aug 1, 2016
  7. Life was easier with DOS.

PerfectBlue, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

UEFI install on clean SSD

1. UEFI install on clean SSD - Similar Threads - UEFI install clean

2. Bios/UEFI virus survives clean install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bios/UEFI virus survives clean install: I have a Lenovo Ideapad 3 with AMD Ryzen 5, it's only one year and 3 days old. In April, Lenovo released a security advisory stating that their devices had 3 bios or UEFI related vulnerabilities, that allowed a virus to rewrite the SPI and deactivate the UEFI among other...
  3. Clean install to new SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clean install to new SSD: I just purchased a SSD to replace my HDD and I am trying to install windows 10 on the new SSD. I have the key, and the cloning didn’t work for me. I am just looking for a fresh new install on the new SSD so I can remove the old HDD. Any and all help is greatly appreciated....
  4. Clean install in UEFI mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install in UEFI mode: Hi I am about to receive the bits to upgrade my husbands PC from a simple desktop machine to what the PC Gamer site assures me is a high end gaming machine. However, in the process I want to take the opportunity of also upgrading to a UEFI system from MBR but I'm a little...
  5. [UEFI] Added ssd, clean install windows on it without bootable usb?

[UEFI] Added ssd, clean install windows on it without bootable usb?: Hello, Is it possible to install a fresh copy of windows 10 to the new ssd without having to create a bootable usb drive? The notebook already has a hdd with windows 10 (uefi) in it. Moreover the activation tab in settings shows the windows have digital licence. Does this...
  6. Clean Install on an External SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clean Install on an External SSD: I’m wanting to do a full wipe of my PC and this time have Windows be installed on my external SSD. Is this smart? Should I just have Windows install on my default HDD? If it’s fine, how can I direct Windows to reinstall onto my external SSD when I go through resetting...
  7. Clean install of a new SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Clean install of a new SSD: I recently installed a new ssd for my OS, some a game and some programs off a USB stick. Now I have a two system reserved (D:) and (E:) with nothing in them, I'm assuming there is some hidden files but I'.m curious if I can delete them to regain the little bit of space (I...
  8. Installing SSD & Clean install

Installing SSD & Clean install: Want to change out a HDD to SSD and also do a clean install (with no risk to licenses) of W10. What is best sequence. Install SSD first, do clean install pointing at SSD or do Clean install on HDD then move to SSD ? 121383
  9. Clean install on new SSD

Clean install on new SSD: Hello Everyone, I intend to buy a new SSD in the coming weeks, not sure if its a Samsung Evo 250, or 500 GB drive, To install windows 10, I plan to do a Fresh Clean install of windows 10 on the new SSD, I have seen so many ways on this Forum, on the best way to do a Clean...
  10. Clean Install on a Working SSD?

Clean Install on a Working SSD?: My current installation has been upgraded several times from Windows 8 to Windows 10. What do I need to do to wipe the current installation on the SSD and do a new clean install? 62779

Users found this page by searching for:

1. install clean win pro without destroying uefi partition