Windows 10: UEFI Installation With Secure boot enabled

Discus and support UEFI Installation With Secure boot enabled in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello tech guys, i need emergency help, i posting this thread from my frined's computer, i have a HP laptop, and few days ago i send it to tech shop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by m1s3rys1gn4l, Dec 3, 2017.

1. UEFI Installation With Secure boot enabled

Hello tech guys,
    i need emergency help, i posting this thread from my frined's computer,
    i have a HP laptop, and few days ago i send it to tech shop for motherboard repair,
    and they did it as well, but after few days i am facing problem with BIOS,
    i cant change bios setting, i have tried it a lot of time, when i save bios with change and laptop restarted the bios setting remain same as default,
    so my question is how can i install windows 10 from usb with secured boot enabled ?
    i have tried with rufus usb creator, but when i try to boot from usb it show me as message ( secure boot authentication failed....)
    the only way to install windows is using a usb drive for me right now, cause my bios setting are
    * secure boot enabled
    * boot mdoe uefi
    * boot devices are ( usb, ssd, hdd, internal dvd drive)
    now guys please tell me how can i create windows 10 installation usb with secure boot enabled ?

and sorry for my bad english *Sad

:)

m1s3rys1gn4l, Dec 3, 2017
  2. HELPBOOT Win User

Can not multi booting windows 7 and 10 with out disabling secure boot.

It's not your problem. Windows 7 doesn't support UEFI secure boot, so Windows 7 will not boot if you enable UEFI secure boot.

HELPBOOT, Dec 3, 2017
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Is it possible to install Windows 10 in UEFI mode using the original USB stick?

You don't have to enable Legacy Boot to install Windows 10 . . .

If you go into your UEFI BIOS and change the following settings, you should be able to install Windows 10 on GPT:

Disable Secure Boot

Enable CSM

Then install Windows 10 and later re-enable Secure Boot . . .

DaveM121, Dec 3, 2017
  4. UEFI Installation With Secure boot enabled

I would advise you return to the shop that first worked on your laptop and ask if they configured a BIOS password or a Secure Boot password. If they did, they will need to remove the passwords.

Masterchiefxx17, Dec 4, 2017
  5. zbook New Member
    In addition to the above open the HP website and enter the computer's product or serial number to view the available drivers.
    HP Software and Driver Downloads for HP Printers, Laptops, Desktops and More | HP® Customer Support
    Post into the thread the URL or hyperlink for the drivers/software/firmware.
    Look for software: HP UEFI hardware diagnostics.
    Alternatively see if you can directly download and install the latest version:
    HP PC Hardware Diagnostics | HP® Official Site
    Download and install the latest version 6.4 or create a bootable USB drive.
    Run the HP UEFI hardware diagnostics on the computer in loop until failure mode.
    Run it overnight so that there are at least 2 or more loops.
    If there are problems the testing will abort and display an error code.
    If the testing is running the next day that is a good sign.
    After 2 or more runs (testing time largely depends on the a mount of RAM and the size of the drives) you can abort the testing by clicking the keyboard escape key. Then view the logs to confirm the pass.
    Post the results into the thread.

zbook, Dec 4, 2017
  6. If you can get into the menus to change settings, without entering a password, there is no password set. If there was a BIOS password set, you would have to enter before ever getting to any settings menu's.

How old is this laptop? It sounds like the CMOS/BIOS battery is dead. Its a small battery on the motherboard that maintains the date and time, and any custom user settings when the PC is turned off.

Windows 10 can be installed with secure boot turned on, provided your install media is setup correctly. Using the wrong settings in RUFUS will cause the issue your facing. It's one reason I don't use it or recommend it.

I prefer to use diskpart to create my bootable install media. The same thumbdrive works with legacy and UEFI.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/.../dn621902.aspx Not 100% happy with how this tutorial is written, but can't find a better one at the moment.

list disk
    Make note of which drive is the thumb drive
    select disk (thumb drive disk number) Make sure to select the thumb drive
    clean
    create partition primary
    format quick fs=fat32
    assign
    active

Mount ISO and copy contents to thumb drive.

alphanumeric, Dec 4, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    It does sound like the CMOS battery is dead or not installed.
    @alphanumeric's method of creating the Windows 10 USB flash drive will provide you with a flash drive that can be booted in UEFI or legacy BIOS (CSM) mode, and will boot with secure boot enabled.

NavyLCDR, Dec 4, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

UEFI Installation With Secure boot enabled

Worth noting that not all pcs have a separate CMOS battery any more. On one laptop, I had issue as (rechargeable) battery was integrated into mobo, and could not change settings. I had devil's own job fixing that having to short out (very carefully so I did not frazzle things) battery until it was drained, and then it forgot settings and work ok recharging.

I was lucky really as I could have fried mobo for good.

These integrated batteries are a nightmare. What happens if they fail?

They should use some sort of non volatile flash memory instead.

cereberus, Dec 4, 2017
  9. That's where I would have gotten out my soldering iron and just unsoldered one wire from the battery. Assuming it connected with wires. Failing that I would just tack on a resistor to drain it. Buts that's just me, I have those skills. A light bulb would work too. Connect it across the battery and wait till it fades to black. *Wink

Laptops do use (or partially use) non volatile flash memory for (some) BIOS settings. Stuff like the BIOS password, Boot password. Removing the battery won't erase those settings. EEPROM.

I've seen a few posts where that person could not find a separate BIOS battery. All in ones, if memory serves me.

alphanumeric, Dec 4, 2017
  10. I have send it to repair shop again, and they solved it *Smile thank you guus...

m1s3rys1gn4l, Dec 12, 2017
  11. zbook New Member
    m1s3rys1gn4l ,
    What was found in the repair shop? And what did they do?

zbook, Dec 12, 2017
  12. It is normal. Secure Boot cannot load system from NTFS formatted flash drive. In Rufus, select ISO source and then change USB filesystem to FAT32. Then it will boot.

muchomurka, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

UEFI Installation With Secure boot enabled

1. UEFI Installation With Secure boot enabled - Similar Threads - UEFI Installation Secure

2. How can i enable uefi and secure boot?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can i enable uefi and secure boot?: so i wanted to try out windows 11 on my pc and it says it dosent meet the requirements because secure boot isn’t enabled. I tried changing the bios from legacy to ufei but when i pressed save and exit it kept going back to the bios until I switched it back to legacy please...
  3. How can i enable uefi and secure boot?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can i enable uefi and secure boot?: so i wanted to try out windows 11 on my pc and it says it dosent meet the requirements because secure boot isn’t enabled. I tried changing the bios from legacy to ufei but when i pressed save and exit it kept going back to the bios until I switched it back to legacy please...
  4. how to enable secure boot even if UEFI and secure boot control is on/enabled

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to enable secure boot even if UEFI and secure boot control is on/enabled: as how the question goes, I can't find a way to manually enable secure boot itself even if secure boot control and UEFI is on and used. how do I enable it? like the secure boot in the BIOS settings of mine can't be changed but the secure boot control can be changed, I have...
  5. how to enable secure boot even if UEFI and secure boot control is on/enabled

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to enable secure boot even if UEFI and secure boot control is on/enabled: as how the question goes, I can't find a way to manually enable secure boot itself even if secure boot control and UEFI is on and used. how do I enable it? like the secure boot in the BIOS settings of mine can't be changed but the secure boot control can be changed, I have...
  6. Secure Boot Enabling W10 UEFI; for W11

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Secure Boot Enabling W10 UEFI; for W11: Please help me.I using W10 on UEFI/GPT. But SecureBootState is Off.What have i done: 1 in ASUS UEFI i selected Windows UEFI Mode instead of Other OS and broke boot process - Windows Boot Manager invoked repair procedure.2 I turned off driver signature enforcement F7 keyword...
  7. UEFI Secure boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    UEFI Secure boot: hi guys...pls help meif i need windows 11 then it tells me to enable secure boot....but if i go to my BIOS and enable my secure boot it should show my desktop....but it is showing something to setup........
  8. Enabling Bitlocker with UEFI Secure Boot enabled renders the device unbootable

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Enabling Bitlocker with UEFI Secure Boot enabled renders the device unbootable: Hi all, Wondering if some of you may be able to shed some light on this. We've been enabling Bitlocker on some client machines, but have been finding that with this enabled, and the device rebooted, the device can no longer see the bootable device, so gets stuck in the BIOS....
  9. UEFI bios enabled but no secure boot on windows 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    UEFI bios enabled but no secure boot on windows 10?: So i had secure boot up and running on my windows 8.1 machine after a clean install, but now since microsoft upgraded me to windows 10 it seems as my secure boot is off again, but it's enabled in my bios is so weird, it's enabled in bios but off in windows 10? Is not much of...
  10. UEFI with Secure Boot (UEFI version) ?

in Windows 10 Support
    UEFI with Secure Boot (UEFI version) ?: I want to enable UEFI with Secure Boot and I do have an option to enable Secure Boot. But how can I tell if I am running UEFI firmware version 2.3.1.c ? Because to enable Secure Boot, machines must have UEFI firmware version 2.3.1.c I went to System Information, but It...