Windows 10: UEFI instead of BIOS

Discus and support UEFI instead of BIOS in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi guys. So recently i've been checking out my system components and my BIOS seems to be outdated. First of all i want to install UEFI instead of BIOS,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Sea-Understanding-35, Dec 20, 2020.

1. UEFI instead of BIOS

Hi guys. So recently i've been checking out my system components and my BIOS seems to be outdated. First of all i want to install UEFI instead of BIOS, and secondly, it says 'Outdated' next to the 'BIOS', which i believe is a bad thing? Even tho google tells me that i don't really need to update my BIOS since it doesn't really change much.

Anyway, i need a UEFI boot and i don't have UEFI in my laptop. The only thing i have is an outdated BIOS. My question is, how do i install UEFI? So when i boot i can choose UEFI, stuff from my USB. Right now i can't even choose an USB port when i boot into my BIOS, guess it's because my BIOS is way too old. So yeah, what's the best thing i can do? Do i update my BIOS somehow and install UEFI, or do i just install UEFI, because afaik it's BIOS replacement.

I mainly need it to be able to choose UEFI and open the USB i've inserted into my laptop through booting.

p.s i believe there's no way to install UEFI without re-installing my windows, i guess? If there is, please tell me how to, if not, could someone please also explain me how do i install win 10 with UEFI instead of BIOS?

submitted by /u/Sea-Understanding-35
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Sea-Understanding-35, Dec 20, 2020
  2. Alexodd Win User

Windows fails to detect UEFI BIOS, assumes Legacy instead

Hi,

Due to some string of events, my computer has quick boot enabled in BIOS. I need to load UEFI to change some things, and am unable to because this setting is enabled. I assumed there was a way to reboot into UEFI from inside Windows 10, so I looked up how
    and found the answer: There is an option in the "Advanced startup" menus to do this. Unfortunately, this option seems to be hidden if Windows 10 erroneously detects that you are using legacy BIOS instead of UEFI. This appears to be the case in my current install
    (in MSINFO the BIOS Mode is set to Legacy).

My questions are:

• How do I change BIOS Mode to UEFI in my current install?
    • How do I make sure this remains the case in future OS resets/reformats?
    • Similarly, when building other computers in the future, how do I make sure Windows 10 does not make this same error?

My questions are not:

• How do I access my BIOS despite Windows 10 misidentifying my BIOS Mode?

Thank you for your time,

Alex

Alexodd, Dec 20, 2020
  3. bios

Hi all i am new in this forum, i need meanings step by step of each item listed in the bios Phoenix-Award

central473, Dec 20, 2020
  4. UEFI instead of BIOS

How do I access BIOS if I have a Legacy motherboard instead of UEFI?

I am trying to overclock my CPU, but I can't seem to access the BIOS screen when I mash the BIOS key on boot.

It seems like it has something to do with the fact that my motherboard BIOS type is listed as Legacy instead of UEFI.

How do I access BIOS if every solution fails?

Solutions I've tried:

Spamming the BIOS key on boot

Shift-clicking the restart button (no UEFI settings in that menu)

Disabling fast boot

Using a shutdown tf switch shortcut

Everything about my system is perfect for overclocking, it runs cold, it passes stress tests, and it runs at low capacity with a very very demanding game playing, but I need its speed to match its strength.

Eric Hullaby, Dec 20, 2020
Thema:

UEFI instead of BIOS

1. UEFI instead of BIOS - Similar Threads - UEFI instead BIOS

2. UEFI vs BIOS: What is the difference between BIOS and UEFI?

in Windows 10 News
    UEFI vs BIOS: What is the difference between BIOS and UEFI?: [ATTACH]Is UEFI better or should you use BIOS? Anyone who is interested in understanding how their personal computers work will find this guide to be helpful. We explain the difference between BIOS (Basic Input-Output System) & UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) in...
  3. BIOS MODE UEFI

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BIOS MODE UEFI: MY PC DOES NOT SUPPORT BIOS MODE UEFI HOW TO SUPPORT THE UEFI IN MY PC INSPIRON 15 5558 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bios-mode-uefi/ac6086ce-66ea-4ac5-a024-1fecbf1aa88a
  4. Outdated BIOS to UEFI

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Outdated BIOS to UEFI: Hi guys. So recently i was trying to figure out if how to boot into UEFI, but sadly there was no option for me to do that in the boot menu. Later on i googled some stuff and it told me to check system configuration to see if it says 'Legacy' which is Bios that you can convert...
  5. UEFI/BIOS Virus?

UEFI/BIOS Virus?: I have recently bought a new PC. Initially the W10 version was 1909 but very soon after purchase it was upgraded to 2004. One of the first things I did was to create a recovery USB memory stick. This was prior to me knowing how to access the PC's BIOS/UEFI although I had...
  6. Windows fails to detect UEFI BIOS, assumes Legacy instead

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows fails to detect UEFI BIOS, assumes Legacy instead: Hi, Due to some string of events, my computer has quick boot enabled in BIOS. I need to load UEFI to change some things, and am unable to because this setting is enabled. I assumed there was a way to reboot into UEFI from inside Windows 10, so I looked up how and found the...
  7. BIOS / UEFI setup

in Windows 10 Support
    BIOS / UEFI setup: Hi, I have several Dell E6410's here with latest Win 10 1803 update and A17 BIOS. All ok apart from one machine which the power light stays on at shutdown. This particular machine happens to be set up with the boot option set to UEFI whereas the others use Legacy. So I...
  8. Can I use UEFI instead of BIOS for memtest?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can I use UEFI instead of BIOS for memtest?: Hi I'm going to follow this tutorial to do a memtest86 MemTest86+ - Test RAM BSOD Tutorials Is it OK to use this tutorial and boot to UEFI instead? Boot to UEFI Firmware Settings from inside Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials By the way I don't know what bios vs uefi...
  9. BIOS and UEFI issue

BIOS and UEFI issue: I have a brand new Asus K555 laptop running core i5 5th gen. But though it is new, it seems to be running BIOS. It is old fashioned cursor less one. But it supports secure boot, GPT disk and it boots in CSM mode. So I think I can install UEFI. Please advise. Thank you 38752
  10. UEFI vs BIOS

in Windows 10 Support
    UEFI vs BIOS: My computer has UEFI installed but when I go to the BIOS I see an old fashioned BIOS. I thought UEFI was supposed to replace the BIOS. Can someone explain? 81410