Windows 10: UEFI remove unwanted boot entries from BIOS solved easily

Discus and support UEFI remove unwanted boot entries from BIOS solved easily in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi folks with UEFI if you've installed say some Linux versions and you don't want them any more you might still see these at boot if you go into your... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jimbo45, Feb 11, 2019.

1. jimbo45 Win User

UEFI remove unwanted boot entries from BIOS solved easily

Hi folks
    with UEFI if you've installed say some Linux versions and you don't want them any more you might still see these at boot if you go into your BIOS boot menu.

Easy way to fix these i.e remove them

1) Go into command mode (run as administrator)
    2) type bcdedit /enum firmware (space between enum and firmware

3)Now you'll see a list

4) To delete entries you don't want
    type bcdedit delete identifier where the identifier is shown in your list. Include the sigiddly braces { }

Easy -- job done

If you are worried about this just simply backup the EFI partition with Macrium - you don't need to back up the rest of the system. If boot fails because you deleted wrong entry simply restore the EFI partition (it's only 100MB or so - takes seconds with macrium and works -- I deliberately hosed up an entry to test this --restored partition and system booted fine).

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Feb 11, 2019
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Hi folks
    with UEFI if you've installed say some Linux versions and you don't want them any more you might still see these at boot if you go into your BIOS boot menu.

Easy way to fix these i.e remove them

1) Go into command mode (run as administrator)
    2) type bcdedit /enum firmware (space between enum and firmware

3)Now you'll see a list

4) To delete entries you don't want
    type bcdedit delete identifier where the identifier is shown in your list. Include the sigiddly braces { }

Easy -- job done

If you are worried about this just simply backup the EFI partition with Macrium - you don't need to back up the rest of the system. If boot fails because you deleted wrong entry simply restore the EFI partition (it's only 100MB or so - takes seconds with macrium and works -- I deliberately hosed up an entry to test this --restored partition and system booted fine).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 11, 2019
  3. Can't disable secure boot in bios/uefi

Can you attempt the suggested steps in the following article?

https://www.qualityology.com/tech/disable-asus-...

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised
    on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Andre for Directly, Feb 11, 2019
  4. UEFI remove unwanted boot entries from BIOS solved easily

UEFI boot options disappeared from BIOS; now getting reboot and select proper boot device

In short, I need to get the system/BIOS to allow UEFI booting of the SSD.

Computer started up today with default BIOS settings.

• Only SSD 1(Windows boot) and SSD 2 were listed in BIOS; HDD 1 and HDD 2 were not visible
    • System would not boot. Gave the 'reboot and select proper boot device' message
    • Boot menu has no UEFI/EFI (or Windows Boot Manager) entries anymore
    I went into Partition Magic/Gparted and confirmed :

• All drives are still showing
    • All drives' data is in tact [EFI volume/partition is still listed (and can be browsed/files accessible)]
    Gparted print out (note dev/sda2 apparently that is normal behavior) :

/dev/sda1 (locked) EFI System Partition--Fat32--/media/sda1--100.00mb--46.81MiB--53.19MiB--boot,esp
    /dev/sda2 (exclamation mark) Microsoft reserved partition--unknown file system--no mount point--128.00MiB--unused spaced--msftres
    /dev/sda3 basic data partition--ntfs--/media/sda3--118.58GiB--70.78GiB--47.80GiB--msftdata
    /dev/sda4--ntfs--/media/sda4--450.00MiB--327.71MiB--122.29MiB--hidden,diag

As I am able to boot Windows installation from USB, I tried the standard startup repair. It said it was not able to fix any problems.

Next I tried to repair the EFI with Diskpart in the shell:

• sel vol 1 (note that Diskpart states EFI partition is 'hidden')
    • assign letter=z:
    • cd /d z:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\
    • bootrec /fixboot
    • bcdboot c:\Windows /l en-us /s vz /f ALL
    It completed all tasks successfully. Unfortunately that did not work.

Other things I have tried :

• Removing CMOS battery and replacing with a new one - my HDD started showing up again after doing this.
    • Using the old MBR commands(in hopes it would force the Windows startup repair to recognize and fix a problem)
    bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /scanos
    bootrec /rebuildbcd​
    • Loaded BIOS 'optimized'/defaults (the system did this already once before, hence why I am in this situation, though doing it manually seemed like an option worth trying. Note that after doing this and restarting the system, HDD's stopped showing again)
    • Removed new CMOS battery and left it out of the system for thirty minutes
    • Formatted EFI and msftres partitions, then rebuilt the EFI boot records
    In summary, am looking to force the BIOS to see the EFI partition on the SSD boot drive, as it is not an option any longer.

newconroer, Feb 11, 2019
Thema:

1. UEFI remove unwanted boot entries from BIOS solved easily - Similar Threads - UEFI remove unwanted

2. Bluetooth is missing from Device Manager - UEFI/BIOS Solved it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bluetooth is missing from Device Manager - UEFI/BIOS Solved it: All of a sudden literally while working on something the Bluetooth mouse stopped working on my Asus UX560 Zenbook. I checked and as a matter of fact the computer thought that it has no Bluetooth device whatsoever. I searched for solutions and saw many ideas:- searching for...
  3. Bluetooth is missing from Device Manager - UEFI/BIOS Solved it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bluetooth is missing from Device Manager - UEFI/BIOS Solved it: All of a sudden literally while working on something the Bluetooth mouse stopped working on my Asus UX560 Zenbook. I checked and as a matter of fact the computer thought that it has no Bluetooth device whatsoever. I searched for solutions and saw many ideas:- searching for...
  4. Bluetooth is missing from Device Manager - UEFI/BIOS Solved it

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. UEFI boot entry in BIOS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UEFI boot entry in BIOS: Dell Inspiron 15 3515 Windows 10.In my Inspiron I have two internal SSDs, one came as standard and is 125 GB and I added my own 500 GB SSD. I cloned the smaller SSD to the larger one and by using BCDBOOT was able to chose which to boot from at startup. Both boot up just fine....
  6. UEFI boot entry in BIOS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    UEFI boot entry in BIOS: Dell Inspiron 15 3515 Windows 10.In my Inspiron I have two internal SSDs, one came as standard and is 125 GB and I added my own 500 GB SSD. I cloned the smaller SSD to the larger one and by using BCDBOOT was able to chose which to boot from at startup. Both boot up just fine....
  7. UEFI boot entry in BIOS

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Add UEFI entries to boot menu

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Add UEFI entries to boot menu: I was wondering if there is any way to add a UEFI option to the bootmgr menu. I am trying to add GRUB to the boot menu; however, since Windows doesn't load anything but Windows in secure boot mode, I can't just load the GRUB file, hence the need to add the UEFI entry. My...
  9. Easy way of removing entries from Windows Boot at startup solved

in Windows 10 Support
    Easy way of removing entries from Windows Boot at startup solved: Hi folks If you want the easy way to remove any extra entries you have in your windows boot menu at startup the easy way is simply from start menu -->run-->msconfig then from the popup choose the boot tab change default or delete etc. Much easier than mucking around...
  10. UEFI remove unwanted boot entries from BIOS solved easily

in Windows 10 Support
    UEFI remove unwanted boot entries from BIOS solved easily: Hi folks with UEFI if you've installed say some Linux versions and you don't want them any more you might still see these at boot if you go into your BIOS boot menu. Easy way to fix these i.e remove them 1) Go into command mode (run as administrator) 2) type bcdedit /enum...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. remove uefi boot entry

2. how to remove old boot entries from bios

3. remove bios boot entries

4. remove old uefi boot entries from registry,
  5. DELETING UNWANTED bios entries windows using bededit command software