Windows 10: UEFI Rescue USB Sticks - Hirens, Kaspersky, et al

Discus and support UEFI Rescue USB Sticks - Hirens, Kaspersky, et al in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I'm looking for a UEFI bootable rescue stick with a file browser, virus scanner and other utilities. Couldn't find a way to put Hirens or Kaspersky on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Clive K, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Clive K Win User

UEFI Rescue USB Sticks - Hirens, Kaspersky, et al

I'm looking for a UEFI bootable rescue stick with a file browser, virus scanner and other utilities.
    Couldn't find a way to put Hirens or Kaspersky on a stick that will boot in UEFI mode.
    Have my Macrium rescue disk on a stick, but it uses WinPE.
    Has anybody done it? Alternatively, can anybody suggest another utility disk that is UEFI compatible, even if only has a file browser with copy and delete capabilities?

:)

Clive K, Oct 19, 2015

2. External Hard Drive and Windows 10

Download an ISO for a Linux rescue disk (there are many) and make media. Start the computer with the Linux disk. The Linux OS runs in memory. It has tools for retrieving files from hard drives. It will find the external HDD even though Windows isn't.
    Right now, Hiren's Boot CD seems very popular.

Hirens

Do a search on "linux rescue cd" to find these and reviews.

Cbarnhorst, Oct 19, 2015
  3. NanoXen Win User
    Is it possible to install Windows 10 in UEFI mode using the original USB stick?

Same problem here. I bought windows 10 home on USB stick. USB stick is recognized in Legacy BIOS mode only. In UEFI mode isn't visible. I made my own bootable usb drive - I copied files from Microsoft’s drive and it works fine – Legacy and UEFI mode woking.

Why original USB stick not working in UEFI mode? (tested on PC and notebook – both UEFI capable)

USB Stick is useless in this form...

NanoXen, Oct 19, 2015
  4. lx07 Win User

Macrium boot image has a file browser (peexplorer.exe) built in. If you want an internet browser you can just copy any portable browser to program files directory (I use Palemoon - I think because it was smaller than Firefox).

As a start you could look at this thread if you want to make a boot ISO yourself new versions of simple winpe maker - Windows 7 Help Forums

The only thing it doesn't do is Wi-Fi (this seems to be very difficult) - if you have Ethernet it works fine and already has most of what you want covered.

5. Kyhi Win User
    You can use the custom PE in my sig below

6. Clive K Win User
    Thanks Halasz. I'll look into your suggestions.
    Thanks Kyhi, but that PE doesn't work for me. It requires an Acronis driver called snapman.sys that's not on my PC.

Clive K, Oct 20, 2015
  7. Kyhi Win User
    I assume you mounted the ISO..
    Are you trying to run Acronis from the "Program Files" Folder from within the ISO ???

You have to copy all the files within the ISO to a USB and then Boot from that USB..
    That is how Rescue Disks work or WinPE works...

Just re-checked and re-tested Snapman.sys is in the windows\system32\drivers folder as required for PE..

8. Clive K Win User

Kyhi, I don't have any Acronis software on my system. And no snapman.sys. The WinPE iso you provided probably required snapman.sys because it was made by an Acronis routine.
    I found this and it suits my needs.
    http://windowsmatters.com/2015/08/16...-all-x64-apps/
    I've only booted it and looked around a bit, so I'm not recommending it to anybody.

Clive K, Oct 20, 2015
  9. Kyhi Win User
    Same Concept and created the same way..
    Although his Info is not completely correct - and I do not charge..
    Not sure why you pulled a snapman error from my ISO as the file should be ther..

Either way it will only cause Acronis to fail as that file is only required for Acronis..
    All other programs should work just fine...

10. Clive K Win User
    Why would I have an Acronis driver on my machine? I've never used Acronis on this machine.
    As I said, it failed to boot my machine. You can simply rename snapman.sys and try it yourself if you're interested.

Clive K, Oct 21, 2015
  11. Kyhi Win User
    No matter.. Just trying to find the cause..

Although you have been the only one to report issue and I have checked, tested and verified the ISO, Download and said file

Thanks..

12. lvgandhi Win User
    I also got that error. I posted in your thread.

lvgandhi, Oct 21, 2015
  13. Antilope Win User

Use Rufus to create a MBR / UEFI live bootable Linux Mint USB flash drive. Use a Linux Mint x64 ISO as the source. Linux Mint x64 has UEFI support (32 bit version may not), a Foxfire browser built in, copy/delete file manager and even disk partitioning software (Gparted) all accessible from the USB live boot stick when booted. It all fits on a 8gb USB stick.

Best of all, its live graphical interface looks and operates very much like Windows.

-Here is how to create a MBR / UEFI bootable USB flash drive:

First download and install Rufus bootable USB creator in Windows. Second, download the Linux Mint x64 ISO.

-How to use Rufus to create a MBR / UEFI bootable USB flash drive.

Here's how to fill out all of the fields in Rufus to create a MBR / UEFI bootable USB flash drive from a Linux Mint x64 ISO.

Plug in your USB drive first. Everything on it will be erased.

How to fill out Rufus options.
    Under the following fields, fill in:

First, click on "Disc Icon" button (on the right side about 2/3's of the way down the Rufus menu) and find and select the Linux Mint x64 ISO source file on your hard disk. This is used to create the bootable USB flash drive.

Device:
    choose the USB flash drive you are using from the drop down menus. If you only have one USB drive plugged in, it will be the only one on the list.

Partition scheme and target system type:
    Select...
    "MBR partition scheme for BIOS or UEFI"
    OR
    "GPT partition scheme for UEFI"
    depending on the type of hard disk partitioning used on the system the USB drive will boot on.

File System:
    Select "FAT32 (Default)"

Cluster size:
    Select "4096 bytes (Default)"

New volume label:
    Optional - fill in label name if desired

Format Options:

Select "1 Pass"

[ ] Check device for bad blocks (I don't check this option)
    [X] Quick format
    [X] Create a bootable disk using "ISO image"
    [X} Create extended label and icon files

Click START.

If Rufus asks:

Please select the mode that you want to use to write this image:

( ) Write in ISO image mode (Recommended)
    (x) Write in DD image mode

Select DD image mode and then select OK. Rufus 2.4 and above will ask. Rufus 2.2 and below doesn't ask or give these options, but works okay anyway.

I've found DD image mode best for Linux ISO's and ISO image mode best for Windows ISO's. If one
    doesn't work or boot, re-create the bootable USB with the other option.

Allow Rufus to complete (can take up to 5-minutes or even a little longer) and you will have a UEFI bootable live Linux Mint USB flash drive that will have a browser, file copy/delete and even disc partitioning.

Antilope, Oct 25, 2015
  14. Clive K Win User
    Thank you Antilope. Your instructions worked perfectly for me. Downloaded Mint 17.2 and now have a bootable stick.
    Would it be worth it to install Linux on a stick? I'm thinking that would be really flexible - saving settings, adding apps, etc.

Clive K, Oct 26, 2015
  15. lx07 Win User
    You can install what you want. What you can't do (as far as I know) is add Windows recovery tools like bootrec which can be useful - for that you'd need a WinPE or RE (or a Windows installation ISO).

It might be handy to have both Linux and Windows bootable sticks if you have a spare.

Thema:

1. UEFI Rescue USB Sticks - Hirens, Kaspersky, et al - Similar Threads - UEFI Rescue USB

2. Confused by BSODS - KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED et al.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Confused by BSODS - KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED et al.: My computer has been plagued by BSODs lately. They are varying in frequency from ~10 minutes after startup to 2 months since last BSOD, but the most often received stop code is KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. I have tried many solutions and tried to find potential drivers that...
  3. Confused by BSODS - KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED et al.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Confused by BSODS - KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED et al.: My computer has been plagued by BSODs lately. They are varying in frequency from ~10 minutes after startup to 2 months since last BSOD, but the most often received stop code is KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. I have tried many solutions and tried to find potential drivers that...
  4. Not seeing properties et al on this window

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Not seeing properties et al on this window: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/ClintJohnMitchell [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l0r8io/not_seeing_properties_et_al_on_this_window/
  5. Rescue USB

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Rescue USB: Windows 10 home 2004. If I make a Macrium Rescue USB, does it have to be the only thing on that USB drive? Or can I put additional Macrium backups on it too? Thanks, cb 168966
  6. Rescue data from USB stick?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Rescue data from USB stick?: My USB stick is no longer recognized by my PC and all others and should be formatted. When I go to the disk management, the stick is displayed, but in RAW format and only with 8MB storage space although it has 2GB. Some data recovery programs like EaseUS or Recuva can't find...
  7. laptop does not recognize usb-stick uefi?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    laptop does not recognize usb-stick uefi?: "System doesn't find any usb device" This sentence is there. And I can't open the windows boot manager. Turning off Uefi does not work either. Please I need help. It is an Acer Aspire 3 from 2018/19. I tried to install windows but it does not work. Even with a uefi stick....
  8. Kernel Security Check Failure et. al.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Kernel Security Check Failure et. al.: Long story of woe: 1. Sometime ago, Dell Support Assist started offering an update to an Intel WiFi driver that has not been installed. Dell tried valiantly to figure out why this was, could not, suggested installing a new copy of Windows 10 to see if that would fix it. 2....
  9. several issues with text management et. al.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    several issues with text management et. al.: I have a Dell XPS13 2 in 1 purchased in March. I've spent an extraordinary amount of time with Dell tech support and they attribute all the problems to Microsoft. I'm not sure how to address these so I'll just do a dump and look for guidance. The most annoying issue is...
  10. UEFI boot mode and Hiren live USB issu

in Windows 10 Support
    UEFI boot mode and Hiren live USB issu: Hello once again I have a tablet. Model: Haier Y11b Now I have a Hiren bootable USB I want to boot the tablet from this USB but i am not able to do so though the USB stick is shown in the boot device menu but it wont boot instead display a black screen. Is the...