Windows 10: UEFI Settings Disappeared from Pre Boot Menu after update to 1909

Discus and support UEFI Settings Disappeared from Pre Boot Menu after update to 1909 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, Firstly, I know my computer is compatible with UEFI I've been into the menu before to see if overclocking was possible. That said, I was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by aprilcaladrius, Jan 21, 2020.

1. UEFI Settings Disappeared from Pre Boot Menu after update to 1909

Hello,

Firstly, I know my computer is compatible with UEFI I've been into the menu before to see if overclocking was possible. That said, I was trying to reset my BIOS to see if that would help solve some of the random shut down bugs I've been experiencing with 1903 and now 1909.

So I restarted my computer, went into advanced options and there was absolutely no option for UEFI Settings. Like I said, I've been into that menu before. Recently. Like, 2 or 3 months ago before my PC updated from 1903 to 1909.

So I went into command prompt to look at my BIOS version, naturally.

C:\Users\Owner>wmic bios get smbiosversion

Node - THENEXUS-2

ERROR:

Description = Invalid query

Well ok. Next I went into system information with the run command.

Somehow my BIOS is in legacy mode and not UEFI mode. HOW? I didn't change anything!? All I did is update from 1903 to 1909.

I've already run DISM and System Check..

C:\WINDOWS\system32>DISM.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool

Version: 10.0.18362.1

Image Version: 10.0.18363.535

[==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully.

The operation completed successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.

Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

So now I am at a loss for words. This doesn't make much sense. Nothing is corrupted yet somehow I went from being in UEFI to being in Legacy without having run any programs to do so which from my research shouldn't be possible. Doing so would brick my PC.

Firstly, HOW!? Secondly, how do I fix it?

:)

aprilcaladrius, Jan 21, 2020
  2. CountMike Win User

UEFI Boot Menu

If it finds UEFI partition BIOS should show it as Windows UEFI..... otherwise will just show disk as what it's firmware describes it.

CountMike, Jan 21, 2020
  3. Uplink10 Win User
    Can't disable UEFI boot on HP 250 G3

I got it, I was not accustomed to UEFI (because on HP 4540s I disabled it) and I automatically thought that if I boot from the first menu it will boot in UEFI mode, but I have to go to second menu "Boot From EFI File" to get a list of EFI boot options:

UEFI Settings Disappeared from Pre Boot Menu after update to 1909 IMG_1509375.jpg

I installed Ubuntu Mate and Windows 8.1 from the first menu (the picture) and they both installed in BIOS mode. Quite simple really.

Uplink10, Jan 21, 2020
  4. btarunr Win User

UEFI Settings Disappeared from Pre Boot Menu after update to 1909

UEFI Forum Releases UEFI 2.3.1 Specification Update

The UEFI Forum has ratified an update to the UEFI 2.3.1 Specification that adds important firmware considerations and addresses numerous engineering change requests. The updated Specification will be referred to as “UEFI 2.3.1C”.
    • UEFI 2.3.1C adds: An OS Indications Variable - OS/FW feature & capability communication – when implemented, allows end-users to make an OS menu request to enter BIOS setup after next reboot.
    • UEFI 2.3.1C adds: A mechanism which, when implemented, facilitates Open Source Operating System installations and OS- agnostic end-user configurations of retaining the factory default keys while in Setup Mode (see Specification for full technical detail of Setup Mode).
    • UEFI 2.3.1C removes: Runtime driver requirement on Network UNDI drivers - this allows UNDI drivers to be delivered in EFI Byte Code (EBC) Virtual Machine format supporting systems based on different processor architectures.
    Complete details on UEFI 2.3.1C are available here.

The UEFI Forum’s UTWG (UEFI Test Working Group) is currently working on updating the SCT (Self-Certification Tests) to align with the latest spec changes. Please see www.uefi.org for more updates.

UEFI Summer Summit Interoperability & Education Event:
    Specification Update Benefits Windows 8 & Open Source OS Implementations Microsoft to Host UEFI Summer Summit, July 16-20, 2012 in Redmond, WA

The UEFI Testing Work Group (UTWG) and the UEFI Industry Communications Work Group (ICWG) from the Unified EFI (UEFI) Forum invite you to register for the upcoming UEFI Summer Summit: An Interoperability and Education Workshop being held this July at the Microsoft Campus in Redmond, WA.
    • Hosted by Microsoft, the event is sponsored by AMD, AMI, HP, Insyde, Intel, Microsoft & Phoenix.
    • Online registration for the UEFI Summer Summit can be found at here and here. Please note registration is scheduled to close on July 9th.
    The organizers specifically wish to encourage add-in card vendors to attend the Summit. This is the last planned Forum-sponsored opportunity to test Secure Boot functionality and the interoperability of cards with UEFI-compliant systems for 2012. With the serious industry interest in Secure Boot functionality, this Summit is an excellent opportunity to test interoperability, as well as discuss the technology with other industry members.

btarunr, Jan 21, 2020
Thema:

UEFI Settings Disappeared from Pre Boot Menu after update to 1909

1. UEFI Settings Disappeared from Pre Boot Menu after update to 1909 - Similar Threads - UEFI Settings Disappeared

2. Pre Boot Menu - Just Curious

in Windows 10 Support
    Pre Boot Menu - Just Curious: Just trying to see if there is any rhyme or reason to what I'm seeing. The attached image is not what my pre boot menu actually looks like. That's because at that point in the boot process its impossible to take a screen grab, so I found this image on line. In mine, the top...
  3. disappearance of bluetooth after windows update 1909

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    disappearance of bluetooth after windows update 1909: I'm using a Dell Latitude E6400 laptop and the Bluetooth connection disappeared after the 1909 update. I'm using a Rapoo wireless keyboard and mouse. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You...
  4. Update to 1909 has disappeared from update list

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update to 1909 has disappeared from update list: I'm in the process of updating computers in my departments. Wednesday 1/15 I was able to run the windows update on a few computers and get the 1909 update. Since Thursday 1/16, 1909 is not even showing up as an option....
  5. Can't boot after changing UEFI to Legacy from BIOS F2 menu.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't boot after changing UEFI to Legacy from BIOS F2 menu.: Toshiba satellite p75 A7200. Windows 10 is not recognized and i see empty black screen. How can i revert that change. Nothing gets booted. Toshiba logo is frozen. Hard drive detached goes to single underscore screen. No F button is working with windows 10 drive. Holding...
  6. Add UEFI entries to boot menu

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Add UEFI entries to boot menu: I was wondering if there is any way to add a UEFI option to the bootmgr menu. I am trying to add GRUB to the boot menu; however, since Windows doesn't load anything but Windows in secure boot mode, I can't just load the GRUB file, hence the need to add the UEFI entry. My...
  7. Unable to Boot into UEFI Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to Boot into UEFI Menu: Recently I wanted to install a Virtual Machine onto my computer, which for my VM requires me to change a setting in the UEFI BIOS menu for it to work. When i tried to load into the UEFI menu, with Settings->Update and Security-Recovery-Advanced Start-up-Restart Now and then...
  8. UEFI Boot Menu

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    UEFI Boot Menu: I went into my UEFI boot menu yesterday to try to boot to a USB drive and noticed the kanji-looking characters in the screen shot provided. I couldn't use the up/down arrow keys to select a different boot device. The tab key would take me to the "Enter Setup" and "Boot...
  9. Cannot boot into UEFI BIOS or Boot Menu

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cannot boot into UEFI BIOS or Boot Menu: Belarc reports UEFI: American Megatrends Inc. P11-B2 Operating System: Windows 10 Home (x64) Version 1511 (build 10586.494) Installed: 4/27/2016 5:58:22 AM Servicing Branch: Current Branch (CB) Boot Mode: UEFI with successful Secure Boot. This is my brother’s computer:...
  10. Disappearing Settings Menu from Start

in Windows 10 Support
    Disappearing Settings Menu from Start: This morning, I noticed that the "File Explorer" and "Settings" menu items have disappeared from the Start menu. I manually typed in "Settings" and pinned it to the Start menu, but it showed up as a tile, which was not my intent. I removed the tile, and both "Settings" and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. default bios settings have been load dons to bios update or checksun......press f10 to enter setup. oldbervise allowthe pc to continued