Windows 10: UEFI sucks and this is why

Discus and support UEFI sucks and this is why in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have just clean formatted and installed w10 on an HP laptop (UEFI - Factory installed system was Win 8.1) and I found out that the system couldn't be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by eLPuSHeR, Nov 14, 2019.

1. eLPuSHeR Win User

UEFI sucks and this is why

I have just clean formatted and installed w10 on an HP laptop (UEFI - Factory installed system was Win 8.1) and I found out that the system couldn't be activated and that WIFI card although seemed fine couldn't connect at all to my WIFI.

Activated CSM (legacy mode in BIOS), reinstalled w10 from scratch (MBR partition scheme) and vòila, everything is working fine again.

This is not the first time I am having weird issues with UEFI scheme. It seems it can be magically corrupted for some reason. What do you think?

:)

eLPuSHeR, Nov 14, 2019
  2. dark2099 Win User

AsRock Z77 Pro3 - AHCI? UEFI?

UEFI is a new standard of bios design, so that would probably be what the BIOS has listed as the first boot option, where ACHI is a mode that SATA controllers run, and that is probably listing drives by order of first to last by port order. Not sure why it would list that way (if my guess is right as to how/why it is listing the drives).

dark2099, Nov 14, 2019
  3. btarunr Win User
    UEFI Forum Releases UEFI 2.3.1 Specification Update

The UEFI Forum has ratified an update to the UEFI 2.3.1 Specification that adds important firmware considerations and addresses numerous engineering change requests. The updated Specification will be referred to as “UEFI 2.3.1C”.
    • UEFI 2.3.1C adds: An OS Indications Variable - OS/FW feature & capability communication – when implemented, allows end-users to make an OS menu request to enter BIOS setup after next reboot.
    • UEFI 2.3.1C adds: A mechanism which, when implemented, facilitates Open Source Operating System installations and OS- agnostic end-user configurations of retaining the factory default keys while in Setup Mode (see Specification for full technical detail of Setup Mode).
    • UEFI 2.3.1C removes: Runtime driver requirement on Network UNDI drivers - this allows UNDI drivers to be delivered in EFI Byte Code (EBC) Virtual Machine format supporting systems based on different processor architectures.
    Complete details on UEFI 2.3.1C are available here.

The UEFI Forum’s UTWG (UEFI Test Working Group) is currently working on updating the SCT (Self-Certification Tests) to align with the latest spec changes. Please see www.uefi.org for more updates.

UEFI Summer Summit Interoperability & Education Event:
    Specification Update Benefits Windows 8 & Open Source OS Implementations Microsoft to Host UEFI Summer Summit, July 16-20, 2012 in Redmond, WA

The UEFI Testing Work Group (UTWG) and the UEFI Industry Communications Work Group (ICWG) from the Unified EFI (UEFI) Forum invite you to register for the upcoming UEFI Summer Summit: An Interoperability and Education Workshop being held this July at the Microsoft Campus in Redmond, WA.
    • Hosted by Microsoft, the event is sponsored by AMD, AMI, HP, Insyde, Intel, Microsoft & Phoenix.
    • Online registration for the UEFI Summer Summit can be found at here and here. Please note registration is scheduled to close on July 9th.
    The organizers specifically wish to encourage add-in card vendors to attend the Summit. This is the last planned Forum-sponsored opportunity to test Secure Boot functionality and the interoperability of cards with UEFI-compliant systems for 2012. With the serious industry interest in Secure Boot functionality, this Summit is an excellent opportunity to test interoperability, as well as discuss the technology with other industry members.

btarunr, Nov 14, 2019
  4. erocker Win User

UEFI on 990 Chipsets.

I'm pretty sure Gigabyte and MSI both use UEFI with some of their 990 boards.

I don't know about that. It's a bios with a GUI and mouse support from what I can tell.

erocker, Nov 14, 2019
Thema:

1. UEFI sucks and this is why - Similar Threads - UEFI sucks why

2. This is why windows defender sucks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    This is why windows defender sucks: Since when have you stopped listing "threat" physical locations on the detection page? I just got a false positive, and had to dig into event logs to figure out why MsMpEng was slowing my PC to a crawl.. Turns out you thought nvidia was changing my hosts file without...
  3. This is why windows defender sucks

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    This is why windows defender sucks: Since when have you stopped listing "threat" physical locations on the detection page? I just got a false positive, and had to dig into event logs to figure out why MsMpEng was slowing my PC to a crawl.. Turns out you thought nvidia was changing my hosts file without...
  4. This is why windows defender sucks

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. This is why windows defender sucks

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    This is why windows defender sucks: Since when have you stopped listing "threat" names/locations on the detection page? I just got a false positive, and had to dig into event logs to figure out why MsMpEng was slowing my PC to a crawl.. Turns out you thought nvidia was changing my hosts file without permission,...
  6. This is why windows defender sucks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    This is why windows defender sucks: Since when have you stopped listing "threat" names/locations on the detection page? I just got a false positive, and had to dig into event logs to figure out why MsMpEng was slowing my PC to a crawl.. Turns out you thought nvidia was changing my hosts file without permission,...
  7. Why is Microsuck so suck?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Why is Microsuck so suck?: I am tired of beta testing Windows for microsuck. Who is here hate beta testing for Microsuck? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-microsuck-so-suck/839aa201-61df-4ad1-b564-33605becadee
  8. Why does Microsoft suck?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why does Microsoft suck?: So Ive been playing on this new laptop for a few weeks when I notice that nothing is actually being saved on my laptop. Im all for backups and what not but its kinda of irritating when, from the address bar I start to delete one word at a time:...
  9. Why does BING suck?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why does BING suck?: wtf, you must be kidding that anyone would use bing, it is absolutely the worst, I would use yahoo before bing, and here is why: How come when I put in a full URL Bing returns the site with the URL 4th, really fourth, why not first? I am sure because the other sites that came...
  10. Why Windows 10 sucks?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why Windows 10 sucks?: Metro interface is annoying. Remember nice and simple menu from Windows 7 where you coan find everything always in the same place? Yes, that was nice... Now we got a nightmare - weird vision of a mad MS programmer. Who was complaining about old-style menu? Do not know anyone....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. uefi sucks