Windows 10: UEFI vs BIOS

Discus and support UEFI vs BIOS in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My computer has UEFI installed but when I go to the BIOS I see an old fashioned BIOS. I thought UEFI was supposed to replace the BIOS. Can someone... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by iamjim, Apr 8, 2017.

1. iamjim Win User

UEFI vs BIOS

My computer has UEFI installed but when I go to the BIOS I see an old fashioned BIOS. I thought UEFI was supposed to replace the BIOS. Can someone explain?

:)

iamjim, Apr 8, 2017

2. Installing Windows

UEFI is a new replacement for BIOS. It requires booting the media as a UEFI device, clearing the drive if it isn't already formatted GPT which is the required formatting for UEFI.

Once can also install to Legacy BIOS on most UEFI Systems, but it's not taking advantage of UEFI's enhanced GUI, Security Features, mouse Support, and greater stability.

UEFI BIOS vs. Legacy BIOS - YouTube

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Apr 8, 2017
  3. Installing and booting windows 10 on a GPT partition

Do you have a UEFI BIOS? This is the only way you can install Windows to a GPT disk, otherwise it can only be used to intialize data disks, especially if you want them to be larger than the 2tb limit Windows has for MBR (Legacy BIOS) disks.

GPT vs MBR Disk Comparison

To find this out, type msinfo in Start Search, in System Information look at the BIOS type. If MBR you most likely have Legacy BIOS. But you can boot into BIOS setup to check for UEFI settings that may be disabled, or CSM/Legacy BIOS that may be disabled.
    To install to UEFI one must also boot the installation media as a UEFI device.

More here:
    Clean Install Windows 10

and here:
    UEFI BIOS vs. Legacy BIOS - YouTube

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Apr 8, 2017
  4. UEFI vs BIOS

Some machines still keep an interface similar to what a regular BIOS looks like but still are an UEFI underneath. My Toshiba Satelite purchased in 2013 was like this. I assume it is done to help keep users from being confused by a new UEFI interface. Dont quote me on this, but I seem to think I have seen at least one with the option to switch between a classic BIOS like interface, and the new, more extensive UEFI interface. Your computer still has a UEFI like it should, the manufacturer just chose to keep a BIOS like interface to keep ease of use.

ArazelEternal, Apr 9, 2017
  5. anonjwm Win User
    Also yours may be like mine where you can use BIOS or UEFI. You have to tell the motherboard to use one or the other.

anonjwm, Apr 9, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    That does not change the firmware that loads when you enter UEFI setup. That only changes the mode in which the computer boots the hard drive/SSD. UEFI requires a FAT32 EFI System partition to boot from. Legacy BIOS mode (also called CSM) boots the computer from either a System Reserved partition or other partition marked as Active that contains the proper boot files for BIOS booting. The active partition for legacy BIOS booting can be either FAT32 or NTFS.

NavyLCDR, Apr 9, 2017
  7. My ASUS laptop is UEFI but the BIOS GUI looks no different than any other PC BIOS I've seen. Other than a few extra settings.

alphanumeric, Apr 9, 2017
  8. matfx Win User

UEFI vs BIOS

I think OEM manufacturers still retained old fashion way of Bios on top of UEFI. So you may see nothing fancy unless you are build a custom pc.

matfx, Apr 9, 2017
  9. iamjim Win User
    Thanks

iamjim, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

UEFI vs BIOS

1. UEFI vs BIOS - Similar Threads - UEFI BIOS

2. Uefi bios utility settings for upgrade to windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Uefi bios utility settings for upgrade to windows 11: I have got myself in the uefi bios utility and trying to up grade to windows 11. Now I have lost internet and function of windows 10. Im in Bios utility now....
  3. Uefi bios utility settings for upgrade to windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Uefi bios utility settings for upgrade to windows 11: I have got myself in the uefi bios utility and trying to up grade to windows 11. Now I have lost internet and function of windows 10. Im in Bios utility now....
  4. Uefi bios utility settings for upgrade to windows 11

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. UEFI Bios and Blue Screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UEFI Bios and Blue Screen: My windows 11pc is showing me a blue screen with error code: 0xc000021a, and also Critical process died. Also when I switched on my pc, it doesn't boot completely, I always have to force shut it downusing the power button, and repeat the process till it boots, what's could...
  6. UEFI Bios and Blue Screen

UEFI Bios and Blue Screen: My windows 11pc is showing me a blue screen with error code: 0xc000021a, and also Critical process died. Also when I switched on my pc, it doesn't boot completely, I always have to force shut it downusing the power button, and repeat the process till it boots, what's could...
  7. UEFI Bios and Blue Screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Changed to gpt and uefi bios, now windows wont boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changed to gpt and uefi bios, now windows wont boot: I changed my ssd from mbr to gpt in order to be able to upgrade from windows 10 to windows 11. While in uefi boot mode my ssd is not showing up in boot priority and i can not boot windows. I have an asus motherboard, amd cpu and amd gpu. The ssd is a samsung 850 evo m.2...
  9. Changed to gpt and uefi bios, now windows wont boot

Changed to gpt and uefi bios, now windows wont boot: I changed my ssd from mbr to gpt in order to be able to upgrade from windows 10 to windows 11. While in uefi boot mode my ssd is not showing up in boot priority and i can not boot windows. I have an asus motherboard, amd cpu and amd gpu. The ssd is a samsung 850 evo m.2...
  10. Changed to gpt and uefi bios, now windows wont boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade