Windows 10: UEFI will not boot USB but all looks ok with the disk

Discus and support UEFI will not boot USB but all looks ok with the disk in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, Need a little bit of help please. I have a HP Pavilion laptop running windows 10 Home 64 bit. It has UEFI boot. I'm rebuilding it so used the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by chucklepie, Oct 8, 2019.

1. UEFI will not boot USB but all looks ok with the disk

Hello,
    Need a little bit of help please. I have a HP Pavilion laptop running windows 10 Home 64 bit. It has UEFI boot.

I'm rebuilding it so used the Windows media creation tool to create a 64 bit windows boot disk (FAT32 formatted). When I go to the advanced boot options in Windows and select to restart for UEFI, in the menu if I select to restart using 'USB (UEFI)' it just gives me an error message. I then repeated but went to troubleshooting, went into the uefi bios and changed the bios order to be my usb first and on rebooting it just skipped it and went straight to Windows.

I created the boot disk fine, here is the basic structure and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Code:
    :)

chucklepie, Oct 8, 2019

2. Install Windows 10 using UEFI bootable USB thumb drive

You need to go into you system bios and select allow uefi usb drive. Then add the UEFI usb drive to the boot menu

better way to partition aand create an bootable usb.

For the UEFI system, we can use these steps to create the bootable USB:

1.Locate a 4GB or larger USB flash drive

2.Open Diskpart and run the following command cmd admin type diskpart

• Type DiskPart in the command prompt.
    • Type "List Disk” (make note of the disk number of the target USB drive).
    • Type "Select Disk X”, where X is the target USB drive noted in step 4.
    • Type "Clean”.
    • Type "Create Partition Primary”.
    • Type "format FS=fat32 quick”.
    • Type "Active”.
    • Type "Assign".
    • Type "Exit".

Copy your ISO files to the drive and reboot

never use UEFI it better to repartition and remove UEFI go with legacy bois

bfvetscolakid, Oct 8, 2019
  3. Unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware

Yes. Just download the Media Creation Tool and it will let you download an ISO file for the current version of Windows 10 (version 1709, build 16299.15). You can also have the Tool directly create a bootable USB stick with version 1709 of Windows on it.
    If you already have this ISO file, a utility called Rufus can be used to create a bootable USB stick (8GB minimum size thumb drive required). http://rufus.akeo.ie

The steps to fix things will be:

• first create the UEFI-bootable USB stick (it will have a FAT32 format, rather than NTFS) using Rufus or Media Creation Tool
    • Restart the computer and tap F2 to enter BIOS. Switch to UEFI mode. Leave Secure Boot disabled for now if that is an option.
    • Exit and it will restart with the bootable thumb drive inserted. This time try tapping F12 which usually gives a boot menu. The USB should show up in the list, if it has been created right for UEFI.
    • Once Windows Setup loads the first screen, use SHIFT-F10 to get a Command Prompt window.
    • Now we can try to run MBR2GPT to convert the disk.
    • First, MBR2GPT can validate that conversion is possible:
      • mbr2gpt /validate
      • assuming it validates OK:
        • mbr2gpt /convert
    • Type exit to return to the Windows setup screen or just close the Command Prompt window.
    • Cancel Windows setup by closing the setup window and let the computer restart to your existing Windows build 10240
    • Once back in Windows, your disk should now be capable of upgrading to build 1709.
    • Version 1803 of Windows 10 will be released this month or in April. If you want to wait to upgrade directly to that, it would be fine to do that. Meanwhile, you are now running in UEFI mode. There is a chance that you might be auto-upgraded
      by Windows Update to version 1709 anyway, so upgrading now is fine too.
    • To upgrade now, from within Windows run setup.exe from your mounted ISO file or USB stick. Do not boot from the install media to upgrade.
    • You can also now tap F2 during boot to enter BIOS and enable Secure Boot

Don Cuthbert, Oct 8, 2019
  4. thraxed Win User

UEFI will not boot USB but all looks ok with the disk

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Oct 8, 2019
Thema:

UEFI will not boot USB but all looks ok with the disk

1. UEFI will not boot USB but all looks ok with the disk - Similar Threads - UEFI boot USB

2. Unable to UEFI boot - looking for help!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to UEFI boot - looking for help!: Hello Microsoft Community,Looking to change boot from Legacy to UEFI and have updated my bios settings to enable UEFI and to boot from UEFI. After changing I am unable to boot and get the No Boot Device Found. Press any key to reboot the machine error.From my understanding...
  3. Unable to UEFI boot - looking for help!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to UEFI boot - looking for help!: Hello Microsoft Community,Looking to change boot from Legacy to UEFI and have updated my bios settings to enable UEFI and to boot from UEFI. After changing I am unable to boot and get the No Boot Device Found. Press any key to reboot the machine error.From my understanding...
  4. Windows UEFI USB boot not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows UEFI USB boot not working: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/SkyyTheGuy [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k67yly/windows_uefi_usb_boot_not_working/
  5. Resolved - Win 10 Usb Disk - UEFI Boot Problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Resolved - Win 10 Usb Disk - UEFI Boot Problem: Hello, first of all, I never experience this problem in my life. This is the first time and I tried a lot of things but still doesn't work. Let me explain my situation here. I created Windows 10 USB installer with Windows Creation Tool. Then I restart my computer, click the...
  6. Win 10 Usb Disk - UEFI Boot Problem

Win 10 Usb Disk - UEFI Boot Problem: Hello, first of all, I never experience this problem in my life. This is the first time and I tried a lot of things but still doesn't work. Let me explain my situation here. I created Windows 10 USB installer with Windows Creation Tool. Then I restart my computer, click the...
  7. Dell UEFI USB Boot

Dell UEFI USB Boot: Hi all, Sorry if this question has been asked before. I have already gone through a number of fixes but nothing seems to be working for me so far. I have been provided with a USB with an MDT image on to re-image a number of PCs but soon realised it was formatted in NTFS due...
  8. BIOS / UEFI - can't USB boot

BIOS / UEFI - can't USB boot: Hi, Problem I'm trying to boot from a USB pen ( Windows Install, Hirens, Any OTHER ) The problem is it sometimes works , sometimes as in Windows installer works when I wipe the on board drive. I can't get it to boot to anything else even when the on board drive it...
  9. UEFI boot order of disks is not correct

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    UEFI boot order of disks is not correct: I am confused. My machine, MSI Titan GT80S SLI "Skylake" sometimes takes over a min to boot and sometimes just 30 seconds, weird. I wonder if the boot sequences as defined in UEFI has something to do with it. The boot order does not look right. The first disk that appears...
  10. Disk boot order not correct in UEFI

in Windows 10 Support
    Disk boot order not correct in UEFI: My machine, MSI Titan GT80S SLI "Skylake" sometimes takes over a min to boot and sometimes just 30 seconds, weird. I wonder if the boot sequences as defined in UEFI has something to do with it. It does not look right. The first disk that appears there, 860 EVO, is not the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. does bootmgr.efi support 3.0